Anyone moved from a G5 tower to MB/MBP for their sole computer?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by milozauckerman, May 29, 2006.

  1. milozauckerman macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2005
    #1
    I just ordered a black MB (yes, I was the one talking about the style tax - no matter what I'm cancelling and getting the cheapest white), but now am getting cold feet.

    I'd be selling my G5 tower and iBook to cover this (and get some money back while the getting's good, of course). I can live without top of the line Photoshop performance for the immediate future, and will probably buy an iMac whenever Conroe/Merom/etc. get sorted and Adobe becomes Intel-friendly.

    I would just get an iMac now, but I already have a 20" ACD I can connect to the MacBook, and figure that I can live with slightly less performance from it when she gets downgraded from my main computer.

    But I'm just wondering if I'm going to feel the pain anywhere else aside from Photoshop? No games to speak of, other than this it's just VLC, Safari/Firefox, Mail and (now) iWorks. I'll be getting 2GB from OWC and upgrading to a 7200-rpm drive as soon as I get her broken in.
     
  2. eva01 macrumors 601

    eva01

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2005
    Location:
    Gah! Plymouth
    #2
    well if you were to get the iMac now you can dual monitor with the 20"ACD that you currently have
     
  3. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

    Maxiseller

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2005
    Location:
    Little grey, chilly island.
    #3
    I'd also be interested to hear thoughts on this topic.

    I actually considered a very similar move myself, but Ive rejected it based on the "overall" performance specs that are starting to come out. My theory was that the G5 powermacs are at the end of the day high-end machines, and are built with massive FSB, dual procs (if you have this) 7200 HDD, better (much) graphics options etc.

    I'm not so sure you wont actually regret this decision. I for one am holding out for the new intel macs...it's just the temptation of a shiny new machine I've got to keep at bay!!
     
  4. milozauckerman thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2005
    #4
    I'd rather not take the hit on an iMac right now - hoping to wait it out until the next round of processor upgrades and an Intel-friendly CS3 suite.

    The portability of a MB is a draw, and as it would get demoted to secondary computer whenever the Bigger Better Faster iMacs come along any relative performance hit down the line wouldn't be felt.
     
  5. Phil A. Contributor

    Phil A.

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2006
    Location:
    Telford, UK
    #6
    I've moved from a dual 1.83 G5 PowerMac to a 2.16Ghz MBP as my sole machine and haven't had a single issue with this setup apart from lack of disk space which has been fixed with an external HDD. Photoshop performance is acceptable but hardly outstanding once it's started up with 2GB of memory
     
  6. djkny macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2003
    #7
    I just sold my G5 Dual 2.0 (Rev B) that I got as a refurb from Apple for an awesome price. Sell now before your machine's value plummets by August. I'm springing for a MBP as my main portable/desktop and it will be comparable in every respect to my G5, minus the bulky case!
     

Share This Page