Anyone NOT pay sales tax on their 4S in California??

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Ivabign, Nov 28, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

I got my bill and I remember when checking out online it showed $263 in charges - $199 for the 4S - $43 in tax - and a $20 early upgrade charge...

I looked at Credit card bill and I paid $199 only - the email Verizon sent me said "In California sales tax is paid on the unsubsidized price of the phone - in your case the price is 0.00"

I got my bill and there is still no other charge than the $199 for the phone...

Was there a change in procedure?

----------

Sorry, should have been in the main page - if there is a moderator on duty - maybe move?

2. macrumors 6502a

hwojtek

$199 iPhone and $43 California sales tax? Last week when I was shopping in one of the LA Apple Stores, the sales tax was 8.75%. Where exactly in California is the sales tax rate 23%?

3. macrumors 6502

Some states base the tax on the out of contract price rather than the subsidized price.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

In California the sales tax is based on the unsubsidized price of the phone - $649.00

It may have been more than $43 in tax - but the point was - I paid zero... very strange.

5. macrumors 6502a

hwojtek

Maybe there is still some processing to do (your contract is terminated early), so the tax will be billed to your credit card later?

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

You know that's what I thought - but I looked at my records - it isn't on my current bill - and every time I purchased a phone previously - I was billed the full tax amount at the time of purchase...

Oh well, I just wondered if anyone else had this happen....

Is there anyone from California that only paid $199 when they bought their subsidized iPhone 4S online?

7. macrumors newbie

I'm from Socal & have thought it very strange I haven't been charged sales tax on my 32g 4s...my CC was charged $299 & that's all I've paid to date.

I ordered online via AT&T whereas friends that ordered online via Apple store did pay CA sales tax.

My last upgrade in January '11, IP4 bought at Apple Store, i paid the full subsidized sales tax.

...not going to complain saving $60-$80!!