Anyone notice a decrease in sound levels after updating iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eyelikeart, Apr 28, 2004.

1. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I know I'm not imagining it, but the volume has decreased dramatically in playback. I'm looking around, and not seeing anything set differently. :(

I'm curious to know if anyone else has experienced something similar since updating today?

2. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

I have not upgraded yet (still on 4.2) but this same thing happened when going from 3 to 4.0. it was back to normal on 4.1 and 4.2.

3. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

yes it has, but it's only a good thing. they have managed to improve the "sound check" feature in favor of sound quality.

4. robotrenegade macrumors 6502a

No, it sucks and I don't even have mine on. It sounds a lot softer now. I have sound sticks and I have to turn my computer up all the way and then the bar in itunes to make it loud. I used to just keep it in the middle. I really pissed about this. :mad:

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I heard about this on another forum too...
    Doesn't make too much difference to me, as I have iTunes and the system volume cranked, and just adjust on my external speakers anyway.

6. MatMistake macrumors member

I used to always keep mine at 50% volume, and just change the volume on my stereo, but with the update it stuck the volume up to 75%, but isn't any louder. mildly annoying, but I can live with it.
    and I don't use sound check. though I might do if its not so crap anymore. anyone noticed an improvement?

7. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Wonder if this effects iPods sound levels as well?

8. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

Wow, I had just finished playing around with my speaker volume control, the system-wide volume control, and the iTunes volume control to re-balance the sound thinking "I'm sure iTunes 4.5 is quieter!" when I saw this posting.

This is actually pretty annoying. It's definitely to do with Sound Check though. I can practically halve the volume of a song mid-play by selecting Sound Check (and the converse is also true). I think I'll stick with varying volumes between songs (it never really worried me anyway) rather than have everything in my iTunes library seemingly reduced to the volume level of the lowest common denominator.

9. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

10. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

My favourite response from that thread is from a user called 'Bill Codon'. His response to the iTunes 4.5 volume changing issue is to proclaim that the Mac isn't an "expensive stereo with big speakers" (presumably expensive stereos with big speakers don't suffer from this problem, since they don't get software updates), and that users who are complaining should get a doctor to check their hearing. Hilarious! That's the type of typical Apple zealot response to a legitimate issue that makes reading these kinds of forums so rewarding.

User: My 15" PowerBook has white spots on the screen!
    Zealot: Well, your PowerBook isn't a big-screen plasma TV is it?! Maybe you should get your eyes checked!

User: My Rev. A 12" PowerBook gets VERY hot after extended use!
    Zealot: Well, your PowerBook isn't a liquid helium cooled physics experiment it?! Maybe you should get your senses of touch checked out!

User: iTunes seems to be playing stuff at a lower volume after the 4.5 update!
    Zealot: Well, your Mac isn't a big expensive stereo system is it?! Maybe you should get your hearing checked!

Now pick the one which actually occured in a forum :D

11. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

FWIW, I don't hear any decrease in sound volume after the update. Since it's been quiet hours on campus for finals week, I haven't been able to give it a full run on my JBL Creature Speakers, but through headphones it sounds just as loud (maybe louder).

12. porovaara macrumors regular

Apple changed the volume control to be on a logarithmic scale.

13. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

they should change it back. this sucks. much softer.

14. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

louder does not equal better. this is an improvement in sound quality. if you want louder, buy a capable sound system.

15. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Actually expensive stereo amplifiers do have software updates, my Rotel RSP-1066 Dolby Digital Receiver has software updates to update the onboard software as do many high-end amplifiers.

16. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

Then I and my zealot friend stand corrected.

17. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Agreed. However, that is why I bought an Altec Lansing speaker system to replace the Apple Pros that came with my system. ;)

I'm not going to worry over it too much. The biggest problem I encountered was finding the "perfect" volume setting for sleeping. I've been listening to music while asleep for well over a year now, and could set the volume with my eyes closed. I was mostly thrown off is all.

I'm finding adjusting the preamp level on the EQ seems to compensate well enough. :)

18. damson34 macrumors 6502

Mine actually seems louder and clearer then before. Although nothing can be to clear from the iBooks built in speakers lol.