Anyone notice pixelated text in Wow on new MacBook Pro C2D?

Discussion in 'Games' started by SilentCrs, Nov 13, 2006.

1. SilentCrs macrumors regular

I just bought a MacBook Pro 15" (the second configuration with 2 GB RAM, 256 MB video RAM, etc). Hell of a nice computer and I've been pretty impressed with the game performance.

One thing has been bothering me, however: Wow runs well but the text is all pixelated. Compare the following two screenshots. One was taken on my MacBook Pro in OS X and one was taken on a PC desktop I use for games.

http://s133761904.onlinehome.us/MacScreen.png
    http://s133761904.onlinehome.us/PCScreen.png

As you see, the text (particularly in my name in the upper right and my level) is pixelated. The left even seems to "bleed" off the left of the circle.

I asked Blizzard and they said it had to do with the "low resolution" of the MacBook Pro. While I can sort of understand that, 1440x900 doesn't seem too "low resolution". I tried the game in BootCamp and got the same result.

Their suggestion was to run with UI scale on. This increases the size of UI elements, and I admit it does make things look a little better. However, it does kind of bother me that text looks so beautiful in the OS and then I go in-game and it looks crappy.

Anyone else play Wow on the new MacBook Pros and noticed this?

2. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

The text looks fine. Thats the way its supposed to look.

3. therevolution macrumors 6502

You're comparing a 1440x900 screen to a 1600x1200 and complaining that it doesn't look as good. Seems kind of obvious. Personally, I think it looks fine - I would never have noticed such a tiny difference.

4. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

5. SilentCrs thread starter macrumors regular

Uh, no, it's not. It's supposed to be clear and legible. It's supposed to be antialiased. Compare the character name and level on both screenshots.

Actually everything looks just as good in both shots -- except the text. Considering text looks just fine outside the game at 1440x900, you'd think it be just as smooth in-game. There's no excuse for Blizzard not optimizing the Mac client for Mac laptop resolutions.