Anyone notice this?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Gus, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

The new iBook does not have the A/V port anymore. If you want to connect to your TV to watcha DVD, then you have to purchase a separate connector for $19.00. Why the heck did Apple do this, and moreover, why aren't they making this known? You have to really look around to see where it explains this. Also, I liked the fact that the iBook didn't have to have a connector/adapter, and 2 separate cables to connect to a TV. It's not THAT bog of a deal, but now it's just like hooking up my Pismo--S-video to composite cable, then audio out as a separate cable.

Like I said, not REALLY a big deal, but I just don't know why they changed that. The adapter is a little bulky too. Just my thoughts.

Gus

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I noticed that little device, but i never knew the old iBooks had an AV port.

3. Gus thread starter macrumors 65816

Gus

It was the headphone jack, but with the special cable that came with your iBook (the old ones) it became a composite video +audio out cable. You know, the red, white, and yellow cables. The cable just plugged into that port, and Voila! you have external video. Now there are two sets of adapters, and only the one for VGA mirroring is included.

Gus

4. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

They got rid of it quite some time ago. Only the first generation of iceBooks had them.

5. Gus thread starter macrumors 65816

Gus

Are you sure? My fiancé has the 600 Mhz and it has the AV port.

Gus

6. zac4mac macrumors 6502

zac4mac

My old one had it.. 12" 600-Combo drive, bought in April '02, the adapter went with it when I sold it last week. Had the adapter for several months and never took it out of the bag.
    Can't wait for its replacement next week, 12" 800 Combo.

Z

7. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I believe that the 500 and 600 iBooks had the AV port integrated to the headphone jack.

But the AV wire was never included in the box. It was always a $20 part. Only the VGA adapter was include.