anyone out there with an ibook g4 14"?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by pinkypoo, Jun 4, 2006.

1. pinkypoo macrumors newbie

I recently purchased an ibook g4 with a 14" screen and pretty much everyone says how the 12" is better. Can someone give me some positive feedback on my decision 'cause i'm kinda having regrets now. Thanx:confused:

2. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I am in charge of over 450 iBook G4's, both 12 and 14. I can catagorically say that the 14 is LIGHT YEARS better than the 12. Besides the bigger screen (worth a lot) the battery lasts a lot longer.
    You got a good book.

3. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I think peoples only real complaint with the 14" is that you don't get more pixels for the extra 2". Other than that it pretty much trumps the 12" in every other category.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I've got both a 14" and a 12". It's not really a fair comparison because my 14" has much higher specs, but I do really like the 14". I like the bigger screen (even if it doesn't show me anything more than the 12"), portability is still good, battery life is great, etc. The 14" is a terrific machine.

5. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

I'd say that "trumps" is not the right word here. The 14" will eke out some slight performance gains, but it sacrifices portability (it is larger and a full pound heavier), screen quality (because it is smaller, the a 12" screen will display the same resolutions crisper than a 14" will), and a little battery life (larger screens=more area to keep lit=worse battery life). I am on the go quite a bit, so the 12" iBook was the right choice for me.

6. Lau Guest

I've got a 12" iBook and my boyfriend's got a 14" iBook. We both like our own ones for our own reasons - I carry mine around a lot, so I like the lightness and smallness of it, and because I'm smaller, the screen tends to be nearer my face when it's on my lap, and so I'm happy with the 12". However, he's bigger, and so when it's on his lap, it's further away from his face, and he likes the bigger screen, even though it's the same resolution. He rarely carries it around, and if he does, he's stronger than me, and so doesn't mind a heavier and bigger laptop.

If you like it, enjoy it. I wasn't sure about my boyfriend getting the 14", because it was the same resolution and all that, but he really likes it, and is happy, so I'm happy. If it suits you, I wouldn't worry.

7. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

Absolutely agree there. As long as the machine functions like you need it to, and does all the things you want it to, you're good to go.

Now, as far as personal preference, I like the 12" iBook better because I think the resolution works better on a 12" vs a 14". If they had upped the res on the 14", then then 14" would have won hands down.

Z

8. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

I have a 14" and I keep in in my backpack with all of my other books. It's just fine for portablility, and the screen is a good size. I saw a 12" iBook that my friend has, and it seems very small. Like tiny.

9. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

If you had the 12" you would be squinting all the time!
    The specs alone beat it hands down.

::20ROGERSC::

10. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

If you had the 12" you would be squinting all the time!

i do no such thing with mine, and never have.