Anyone own a 10.6 Mac Mini Server?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by Ripmax2000, Jul 31, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

Wondering if someone could answer a question about the 2009 Mac Mini Server - the one that came preinstalled with Snow Leopard Server.

I'm looking to reinstall one, I have the restore DVD's it came with, but I don't have a serial code anywhere.

I know that unlike Client, 10.6 Server requires a serial number, but does anyone know if these Mac Mini's need one? Or does restoring from the DVD take care of that?

2. macrumors 68040

I have a 2010 Mini Server at work that came with 10.6, and it did include a serial number in the documentation.

3. macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

Serial Number

I am not running server but, my serial number displays under the Apple>about this Mac>more info..I don't see one on the Mac Mini, maybe it's inside

4. macrumors 68040

That's unrelated.

5. macrumors regular

Damn, I must have lost the serial.

Thanks for the info.

6. macrumors 6502

I had one, I seem to remember the serial for the server was the serial of the computer plus something.

7. macrumors 68040

Perhaps on initial install, but the packaging included a serial number that is identical in format to retail Server software.

8. macrumors 601

talmy

These have a double whammy. The install DVDs only work on the mini (like other grey install DVDs) so can't be used on other Macs, unlike the retail server. The second whammy is you need the serial number when you do the install, so a fresh install on a clean disk will need the serial number.

Luckily SLS is available fairly inexpensively now, much less than the original $500! http://www.amazon.com/Mac-OS-Server-Snow-Leopard/dp/B003JCPM04/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375454207&sr=8-1&keywords=snow+leopard+server

Note -- as seen in my sig below, my mini now is using Mountain Lion + OS X Server, however it's the original Mac mini with Snow Leopard Server and ran as such for over 3 years.

9. macrumors 68040

You can get Snow Leopard Server from Apple for $19 but you need to call the online Apple store to get it.