Anyone own a Dell 2005FPW LCD?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zen.state, Nov 15, 2005.

1. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

2. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

let me sum up what most people will say:

it's an incredible lcd. on the technical level, it is superior to the apple LCDs in many ways. it is a dell, though, and had a dell look to it. you made a solid choice.

3. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

I own one. I use it for my PC. There are a LOT of reports that they continue to ship monitors with strong backlights that are visible when the screen is dark. Mine has no such issue.

It's ultra bright, has great inputs, has a nice stand and a good range of rotation. All in all, a great screen - I have no regrets.

You made a good buy. And if you do have one with the backlight issue, just send it back...

4. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I just got mine today. Dell's shipping was INCREDIBLE! I ordered the monitor with UPS ground on sunday night, it arrived a little before noon today. thats what, 36 hours? I'm amazed.

Anyways, I LOVE the monitor. extremely bright and clear. It actually makes my 15" Powerbook's screen look cheap and dull. Rotating it is great for looking at web pages. since most of them are 1024 pixels wide, I can see the entire width and twice the length of what I can normally see. The backlight bleeds in the corners a little on an all black screen, but unless you're anal about it it won't mind. The screen ghosts a little, but also not a big deal and doesn't get in the way of anything. If you've got the money, go for it.

5. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Should've ponied up for the 2405, it's like a taste of heaven using it :D

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I find screen rotation on the 2005FPW wierd. Widescreen just looks way bizzare in Portrait mode. You wouldn't think it would look as stretched as it does :rolleyes:

7. zen.state thread starter macrumors 68020

zen.state

many reports have shown that the 2405 does not work well with the mac mini. the 2005 on the other hand works perfectly.

8. adk macrumors 68000

adk

You're definitely right on that. But since mose web pages are 1024 pixels wide it's the perfect width for your browser. I have mine rotated right now and i can see a ton of posts at once. awesome!

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Sure its a different thing altogher but if i lie down and look at my living rooms 32" tube widescreen TV i see how long widescreen actually is. its a little funny. maybe its just my head making it funny though :D

but anyways. im after one of these monitors too. a gift from my parents for christmas which will coincide wonderfully with my new love for photography. 8mp images on that screen will be a delight. i just shuddered thinking about it :eek:

i play to use this monitors component/composite input with a good quality Freeview box too :)

10. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I own one and completely agree with this statement :)

11. TrumanApple macrumors member

best lcd for the money... period

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Plus you can plug your Xbox 360 into the spare VGA slot (using obviously the VGA cable) and the Dell will run both 720p and 1080i

A mac mini on one side of the desk and a PowerPC console on the other for gaming - BLISS :D :D :D

13. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

I have had mine now for 4 months and I love it. And I agree that Dell has fantastic shipping.

14. cubist macrumors 68020

For a while I was running a G5 on the DVI, a PC on the VGA, and a GameCube on the Composite. No problems whatsoever (altho GBP games in the GC did look chunky).

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

near enough my plan! I have a 12" PB, a potential new gaming PC, Xbox, Gamecube, NES and a freeview box all to be plugged in using switch boxes for multiple inputs. I am going to get so much use out of this thing. going to hang it on the wall too, thus freeing up the massive amount of space currently being gobbled up by my tube 26" TV.

16. neut macrumors 68000

neut

It's a good monitor. I had to send the first one back, but the replacment was perferct.

The multi-input is very nice; i run my G5 on DVI, a VCR/DVD on composite (which also hosts my GameCube), and an extra VGA cord for hooking up an extra mac (comes in handy when configuring/troubleshooting macs for friends). :)

enjoy.

peace | neut

17. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

Defintely agree. This is the most usefull thing about it in my eyes. However when I connected a PS2 to it the quality was pretty weak. But perhaps that was because I was sitting to close. Or maybe there are settings that I do not know of that I needed to change on the monitor or the PS2 it self.

FYI with connecting to your PS2 or DVD player is that there is no audio port on the screen.

One question though, using Tiger and the Mac Mini, how are you guys flipping it into Portrait mode. Surely just physically turning the screen doesnt alter it??

18. zen.state thread starter macrumors 68020

zen.state

I have wondered the same thing. Even if it doesn't work its not an issue for me anyway. Main reason I am buying this display is I really want a widescreen.

19. zen.state thread starter macrumors 68020

zen.state

BTW..

Thanks to all for your replies. I can't wait till this baby gets here.

Will post when it arrives..

20. neut macrumors 68000

neut

I would assume that they would use the rotate function in System Preferences, Displays.

peace | neut

21. Xephian macrumors 6502a

Xephian

I've been using mine for almost a year now. I've first got mine close to when they were first released. It's a really good monitor and good for gaming on the PC too. The resolution on it (1680x1050) has plenty of real estate.

22. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Thats Right.

I just posted this in a thread in mac peripherals here. I'm pretty sure it's my monitor, and i'm hoping it's just because it's a lemon, since everybody else on this forum loves theirs.

23. zen.state thread starter macrumors 68020

zen.state

order status

dell is taking longer than expected to get the display to me.

its in the production phase right now. can you guys please tell me how long it took after production to get to you?

here is my current order status:

Attached Files:

24. neut macrumors 68000

neut

I don't remeber ... it's the Holidays; what do you expect? Looks like you'll be getting it on the 9th. They already have your money ... ;)

peace | neut

25. cwerdna macrumors 6502

I've got one. It runs great on my Mac Mini. I've also got a 2001FP on my PC.

The 2005FPW is now $334 after coupons! Woah! Too bad I don't have desk space for another... :(