Anyone own a dual-layer DVD recorder?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Thomas Veil, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'm in the market for a DVD recorder, and I've noticed that now a few models are appearing on the market that record dual-layer disks. This seems to me to be a much better solution for recording movies that are 2 hours +. I know I could just use LP recording mode on a standard DVD recorder, but frankly if I'm gonna do that, I almost might as well stick to VHS.

My question is, if I record a movie that's over two hours on a dual-layer disk, will it be "seamless" on playback? Or will I see the movie stop, pause, or do something else at the point where it switches layers?

2. FragTek macrumors 6502

Dual layer is the only way to go for burning high quality movies. I used to rock all Plextor DL drives in my PC, they worked fabulously and I highly recommend the entire brands lineup.

3. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Hi.
    I have a dual layer burner, a Sony DRX 800UL, and asked a similar question as yours a while back here. Since then, I have never gone down the road of using the DL burning facilities of my burner - there's been no need. DVD2one takes care of everything. And the cost of the media remains excessively high for me to consider using it.

I expect that this has not helped answer your question, but it is my 0.02 worth from my own experiences. :)

4. michaeldmartin macrumors regular

michaeldmartin

Dual layer burners have been out for a long time, in fact, it'd be hard to find one that WASN'T dual layer. I wouldn't get dual layer disks if i were you though, it still costs like 2 dollars per disk and its being replaced.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Unless you look inside an Apple notebook! :eek: ;) :D

Speaking of which, I've yet to burn a DVD, regardless of layers, on my iMac.... :eek:

6. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

My Fujitsu Tablet came with it. But, I have not had a chance to burn DL DVD disk as of yet. So far, a simple DVD burner has been sufficient for my current disk burning needs, I guess.

7. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Actually, I'm talking about a recorder...the TV component kind. Perhaps I should've been clearer...or put this in the general Community Forum. :eek:

This is an example of what I've been looking at.