Anyone play Killzone?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Lord Blackadder, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

My brother just picked up Killzone for PS2. I remember they talked about it being a direct Halo competitor, then it got bad reviews because of all the hype. It definitely isn't Halo, but it's a pretty good game.

I was impressed with the graphics though. Halo has a lot of flashy colors which look great but I like the "desolate battlefield" look more (like in CoD), and Killzone does a pretty good job with that.

I've heard Ace Combat 5 pushes the PS2 the most graphically (haven't played it yet), but Killzone has the best graphics of a PS2 game I've yet played and I was impressed at how good it looked. Yes there were flaws, but The PS2's potential seems to still be pretty great.

Haven't tried online play yet...

2. applekid macrumors 68020

It gets too choppy. The AI was pretty dumb, and the game overall wasn't fun. Thumbs down. The trailers and screenshots looked good, too.

3. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Tried playing it again tonight and I have to admit the dumb AI is getting pretty annoying. And I can't jump, which for some reason P***es me off more than the AI.

Oh well, back to SOCOM II...I love 3rd person shooters. :D

4. James L macrumors 6502a

LOVE killzone. I just finished the beach assault level. I enjoy the gritty nature of the graphics, way better than the colorful, squeeky clean look of Halo or Medal of Honor. The reloading, grenade throwing, vaulting, and ladder climbing sequences are great too.

People are whining about the hit detection, but if you get a clean head shot they go down.

Cheers,

James

5. James L macrumors 6502a

I am asking this question in all seriousness... have you tried putting on full combat gear, packing several weapons, and jumping around? It is pretty difficult. I don't miss the jump feature at all, but I think we should be able to use the vault feature much more than we currently are. It is far more realistic than a jump one and should be better used.

6. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I agree with your logic, but they could have at least made the obstacles more realistic. In the mangrove swamps, they block parts of the Helghast firebase off with knee-high dividers. Come-on! I'll bet I COULD jump/vault over that even with combat gear on. right now.

It doesn't ruin the game, but it is annoying. I do like the weapons.

7. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

You make an excellent poiint. I was in the Marines as an grunt and there was not a lot of jumping, bunny hopping , and certainly no grenade-jumping. :D
    On the other hand, having your guy weezing, sweating, farting.etc. is not as sellable in a game. (Halo 4: Now with beer fart scents!)