Anyone play Quake III still? UB is out

Discussion in 'Games' started by chibianh, Feb 13, 2006.

1. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

Anyone still play this game? I plan to update it once I get home and try it out. The UB is out also, just fyi.

2. Marathon4ever macrumors regular

Hell yeah! Urban Terror is one of the best mods ever! I still play that occasionally.

3. lordmac macrumors regular

Urban Terror is great but I have to imagine he ment Universal Binary, as Urban Terror has been out for a long time and therefore hardly news worthy. Then again maybe I am wrong. meh. Also in any case can you give us a link?

4. chibianh thread starter macrumors 6502a

chibianh

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/5991

5. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

sweet! that's pretty much the only game i ever play.
    Its run pretty smoothly in rosetta up till now.

edit: that's awesome that they've come out with a UB of such an old game. THis one was originally written for OS 9 wasn't it? How soon could we expect to see other old game UB's? Wolfenstein and Jedi Knight II were on the same platform weren't they? And how about Halo?!

6. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

Just installed it and did a quick comparison. I played that level with all the moving platforms, and checked FPS, which didn't really matter cause the old one was maxed out at about 90fps anyways, and that's about the same as what the UB got. But there were a few hickups in the old one, and it takes a bit longer to start up and quit and stuff like that, so this UB is sweet.

Was this done by just some guy with time on his hands?

7. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

Is this how other UB's are working? You download this thing that is only 2.4mb, and you run that when you wanna play the game natively. I thought they had to completely recode these things....

8. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Quake 3 (and all games based off of it) work like that. The executable (.app) file only serves to access the pak files (essentially zip files) which contain the real game info.

9. Marvy macrumors regular

I also installed Quake3 UB + Urban Terror on my iMac CoreDuo 20" the day before yesterday. Aaaah, what a difference to my iBook G3!! :) But I do have one complaint: The video tears up now and then. Is there a way to prevent this? VSYNC is on, and it usually helps to flip some other switch called something_INTERVAL_something, but that only works for one session. Anyone know sth? I'll start googling around, maybe I'll find sth.

10. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Could it be screen ghosting from the pixel response time of the LCD?

11. Mr. Mister macrumors 6502

Quake III was great in its day, Quake IV was fun.

But I CANNOT WAIT for Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. It's like Battlefield 2 plus teh future plus Strogg! How can you lose!

12. Marathon4ever macrumors regular

Yeah, it has to do with the response time of the LCD screen. The only was to fix that, I believe, is to pump up the graphics/resolultion level to the highest you can so that the average frame rate drops below 40fps. Although, that may not be possible on an Intel iMac unless you run some programs in the background while playing UT.

13. Lincoln macrumors regular

Lincoln

Installing Quake 3

Maybe you guys can give me a hand, I would ilke to play Quake III (on my non Intel Mac).

I have the Quake III:Gold Game CD's and I have downloaded the 1.32 Altivec enhanced version update.

However as I have Tiger I cannot successfully unstuff the stuffit file. I have downloaded and installed Stuffit Expander 10 but it won't extract the .pkg installer file properly. Arrrghh:mad:

Is there anywhere I can download this version where it isn't stuffed:rolleyes:

The VERY latest UB update (which is a zip file) only includes and updated UB Quake3.app file but doen't inlclude all the goodies from the version 1.32 like the installer and other game support files.

If anyone can help, I would be most greatful! Thanks in Advance.

14. Marathon4ever macrumors regular

Um, you're not supposed to unpack a package file with Stuffit. A package file (.pkg) is a built-in Mac format, meaning you can just double click on it. If you've somehow changed the default app for opening .pkg files, then change it back to "Installer" as the default app.

15. Lincoln macrumors regular

Lincoln

Thanks for the reply. However, you have misunderstood me.

The update that I downloaded is "Quake3-132-AltivecTest2.pkg.sit", this is the file I cannot unstuff. This stuffed file has the Quake3-132-AltivecTest2.pkg within it.

However, when I tried it this morning to get the file names for this post (also after updating to OS X 10.4.5) it unstuffed correctly.

Strange. Maybe they fixed something with this (OS X) update; the developers of Stuffit Expander have been blaming the issues with their software on Apple.

16. dombi macrumors regular

How can I install Quake III on an Intel Mac? I actually have the original CD, but it only has the Classic installer on it.

Thanks!

17. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I wonder would Starcraft become UB?

I guess not, its such a light game...

18. dombi macrumors regular

According to the following page, it runs well in Rosetta:
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Universal_Binary_Games

Anyhow... how can I install Quake3 Arena on a MacBook Pro? The original installer included on the CD is Classic only.

19. Marathon4ever macrumors regular

You don't need to install it. Just drag the "quake3" folder to your hard drive and then download the latest Quake 3 update from the web and it should install the rest.

20. dombi macrumors regular

That is exaclty what I did, but the Q3 app just gives me a white screen and nothing seems to be loading afterwards. I am missing something else?

21. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

In that white screen it loads the data it needs. Be patient.

Also, there is a section in Icculus.org that is devoted into the development of Quake 3. So, this Universal Binary version from what people did it come out? From the original team that ported it into mac, or the one in Icculus.org?

22. dombi macrumors regular

I downloaded the one from the UB game guides. The link goes to: http://www.sqonk.com.au/quake3.html

Is the one on Icculus.org better? I cannot seem to find the binary version, do I need to compile this on my own?
    I will give it a shot tonight. I am excited to give this a try. I never had the chance to run it maxed out everything.

Thank you for your help.

23. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

But that'd take them away from stupid WoW. I hate that game. >.<

Wheres my damn SC2?

24. Marathon4ever macrumors regular

If you still get the white screen, try deleting the "q3config.cfg" file inside the "baseq3" folder, and then running Quake 3 again.

25. Quark macrumors regular

Did you get it working?

Hello dombi,

Were you ever able to get it working?

I am having the exact same problem you described. I did everything that everyone recommended. I even looked for the "q3config.cfg" file, it doesn't currently exist on my system. I looked on Icculus.org and couldn't find the download.

Thanks,
    Quark