Anyone play Worms 3D yet?

Discussion in 'Games' started by ZildjianKX, Jun 8, 2004.

1. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I just got it... I'm a little dissapointed in two major respects... for one, there is NO multiplayer support between macs and pcs.

What on earth are they talking about? Not being able to synchronize their network code to make it cross-platform is hardly a hardware issue. To make it worse, the PC version uses integrated gamespy with tons of games up, while the mac version uses a non-integrated version of gameranger... which currently has zero games up.

Secondly, you cannot customize the controls at all (at least I haven't found a way).

Anyone else have any opinions of the game?

2. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I played the demo and thought it was good and am thinking about getting the full version. But since I would only play it with friends, the networking problems would not really bother me.

Anyway, the networking problems are to do with the fact that the PC version uses DirectX and M$ don't share enough of the code for it to be possible, for a Mac to communicate with a PC using Direct X (for networking).

3. Versello macrumors regular

I bought the retail. Even tho I play the majority of my games on my PC, I bought the Mac version of Worms 3d for my powerbook... it's one of those on-the-road games :)

Unfortunately the frame rates suck on a PB revB if you set the display-depth to 32-bit colour on any resolution.

4. tliptak macrumors regular

I have been having fun with it. Good Game. Its like butter on my 15in Alu 1.25 Powerbook. With FSAAx2 on.

5. applekid macrumors 68020

Straight from an interview with Glenda Adams and IMG's Tuncer:

Oddly enough, I know a few Mac games support GameSpy's system and is Mac-PC compatible like MoH:AA for one.

I only played the demo. I'm thinking about buying it. Then again, I'm thinking about a lot of games, but I doubt I'll end up buying most of them. :D

6. job macrumors 68040

job

I haven't bought it for my Mac, since I've been playing it for a while on my Gamecube. 4-Player Worms 3D is fantastic. :D

7. ZildjianKX thread starter macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Isn't the use of Direct X more of a software problem though?

Anyways, what bugs me is that the PC and mac versions were in pretty much simultaneous development... so making them cross-platform compatible shouldn't be an issue. It's not like this is a mac port that came out a year later. They could have changed the PC networking code if they couldn't get it to work with the mac, but obviously they didn't care that much.

BTW, anyone find a way to change the controls?

8. osprey76 macrumors 6502

I think the game is quite fun, too. I bought it after playing the demo quite a bit. I actually won the Titanic round, finally.

My only critiques are:

1. Changing the controls would nice. Backspace and Return are really the only problems since it takes two hands on the keyboard.

2. Saving the game mid round would be nice, too. I'm frustrated with the "Saving the Sheep" level because a minor misstep puts you in the water and makes you start all over again.

3. I wish you could lock the view behind your worm, at times. If the camera hits a solid obstacle it swings around and then you're suddenly jumping off the cliff rather than going down the ledge.

Those annoyances aside, it's a fun game to play with lots of neat items and amusing scenarios.

9. thecow macrumors 6502

I played it at a friends house and I thought it was ok. The camera angles are really annoying tho.

10. ZildjianKX thread starter macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Agreed. Is there a first person mode toggle key?

11. tliptak macrumors regular

You can be by in either first or 3rd to begin with. Set this when you first open the game in the Options box that comes up with. If you are in 3rd Person Press the "Q" key to go to first.

12. Dair Grant Guest

Unfortunately GameSpy comes with a large license fee, and unless it's already covered by the PC version of a game it's very unlikely to be present in the Mac version. This is one of the things that Mac game piracy has a direct impact on: if games are being copied rather than sold, the money to license GameSpy for future titles isn't there.

GameRanger doesn't have an integrated API, but Worms 3D uses it like any other Mac game - if you want to set up a game, start a room and wait for someone else to join.

Direct3D, Input, Draw, and Sound aren't really a problem nowadays - for us, or any other porting house (everyone has a set of porting libraries to translate these APIs into OpenGL/CoreAudio/etc).

The reason for non-cross-platform play in Worms 3D is actually the same thing that Aspyr encountered on C&C Generals (as per applekid's post). The problem isn't the use of DirectPlay, it's that the state for the network game includes some platform-specific content that can't be efficiently duplicated on the other platform.

PC developers that write their network code to be cross-platform are the exception rather than the rule, and although most of the time it's possible to make the Mac look like the PC there are times when it's just not feasible.

There are two separate companies involved - Team17 (who wrote the original game, and handled the Xbox/GC ports) and Zonic (who performed the Mac port).

The Mac version was not developed simulatenously, and although we started slightly before the PC version went GM the network code for the PC release was already complete at that point.

For more info see this thread at IMG.

-dair
    http://www.zonic.co.uk/games/