Anyone played Gran Turismo 4?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jmsait19, Feb 26, 2005.

1. jmsait19 macrumors 6502

Just wondering if anyone has played this game and can attest to its greatness. I have pretty high expectations but have to wait a week or two before I can get it.

2. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Yeah, it's really cool. I got it about 2 months ago, though. When was it released in the US? :confused:

My biggest problem is the license tests: I HATE them. I have GT 1,2,3 and now 4 - why do I have to do the test again??? I usually take a day and just finish the tests all at once so I can open the game up. This time I haven't yet.

Besides that though, it is a very cool game :cool:

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I thought it was a world wide release, it came out Thursday after 2 months of delays. How did you get it early?

4. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

5. mowogg macrumors 6502

mowogg

It Rocks

I picked up a copy Tuesday night. It works pretty well with my Wingman force feedback wheel.
    I've raced a GTI at Nurembergring and a Jensen Interceptor at Laguna Seca. The Jensen drove really poorly (or at least I did) on those skinny tires. THe physics engine is great. Wish there was a little more realism in crashes though. Would like to get a car to roll or bang-up, rather than just bounce around.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I thought it was delayed because they didn't like the way it looked, was that only a US issue then.

7. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

w00t! looking forward to nurembergring. still just bouncing around in crashes? i can play nascar heat (best nascar game yet) and it has rolls and flips...
    anyway im curious about photo mode. how does one get it off the ps2? cause it seems pretty useless to not be able to put it on a computer or anything...

8. iGav macrumors G3

That's my only peeve about Gran Turismo.

According to Kazunori Yamauchi, the only reason why there isn't currently any crash damage is because of the complexities of trying to realistically recreate the randomness of crash damage.

I like the time penalty idea that is now applied if you start hitting things, remember in previous versions the fastest lap times were usually the result of ricocheting off things, something that I didn't like as I'm a purist... but I think I maybe would've liked to have seen the inclusion of a drive through penalty much like F1 has instead of a temp speed limit being applied.

As for the Nurburgring Nordschleife, it's been stunningly recreated... incredible, I've already got it fully memorised as a basic guide when I get to drive the new M5 round there for real in early April. :D

9. jmsait19 thread starter macrumors 6502

Excellent. Excellent. I've seen a vid or two online and the lighting visuals were absolutely incredible. As far as damage, I bet we see it on PS3. I think the power in that console will allow for a lot we haven't seen.

Thanks for feedback, I gotta go get me a copy

10. iGav macrumors G3

I believe you will be right ;)

I think that what they'll do is work directly with the manufacturers to obtain the actual structural and crash data for their cars and use a similar technique that the manufacturers use to computer simulate various crashes.

One of the biggest issues of implementing this though, is that this will require the cars to be completely and structurally recreated digitally, as opposed to how they are recreated at the moment which is from basic measurements and photographs.

It'd be incredible if they could pull it off though... accurate and realistic damage... may'zin :D

11. brap macrumors 68000

Well, I still remember being totally blown away the first time I saw the demo of Gran Turismo 1. They've been revolutionary before, who's to say they won't do it again?

12. bartelby macrumors Core

If you have Prologue, GT 4 will take the licenses and cars from that.

So you can have a selection of nice cars all ready for Nürburgring (NOT Nurembergring).

The Nürburgring Nordschleife is the main reason I can't wait for GT4

13. iGav macrumors G3

I can never remember how to get the little 'dots' over the 'ü' when I'm typing it. :(

Anyway it's really, really good though ;)

My first experience of it was on the 'GT4 BMW 1 Series Virtual Test Drive' disc last summer, there is a time limit... but in the 120d (it's quicker than the 120i) in manual, with DSC off, and sports tyres you can complete over 7km of it :)

In a way that was actually a good way of learning it, as it broke it down into 2 sections, I learnt the first part on the BMW disc, and when I got my Japanese copy I only had the other section to pick up. :D

Maybe it'd be good to start a 'Gran Turismo 4' thread, where we could all compare times, exchange set ups, techniques etc. :)

Thoughts?

14. bartelby macrumors Core

But you remembered for that post!
    ('alt - u' and then 'u' just incase)

Sounds like a plan!

15. iGav macrumors G3

Sadly not... it was bought to you courtesy of the magic of the copy and paste function! :) heehee.

Thanking you muchly for the key combo though ;)

It could be cool if there is enough interest... I know some people that love Gran Turismo, but still use automatic shifting and absolutely no idea what most of the tuning bits and bobs do and how they affect a cars performance.

A thread or 2 where we could discuss and exchange settings, techniques etc would be cool, as well as finding out what lap times are possible with both wheels and DualShocks.

I think it could be spiffy... so anyone else interested? :)

16. Badradio macrumors 6502

I'd definitely be interested in a GT4 thread. I tried messing with the car setups in GT1, but just ended up with a Skyline R34 with 950 bhp that died whenever you tried to go up a slight incline, so I've left the more esoteric tweaks alone through GTs 2 and 3. It'd be great to get some tips on getting more out of the game.

17. Symtex macrumors 6502a

I think the only way to really experience GT4 is with the Logitech Driving Force Pro 900 degree FF Wheel. You could never harness the depth of the car physics without this. IMO, the DS2 controller is not very good for racing games because of the position of the analog stick. Also using "A" for gas for an extended period of time is hard. It's very difficult to manage the throttle too.

I've only done 8% so far in the game and I own around 22 car. My favorite so far is the Toyota RSC Rally Car. This thing is a beast.

18. brap macrumors 68000

I've never been able to get on with the PS dual shock... there's too much resistance in the stick, it always seems to want to centre itself, or hug the rim. The sticks on my brother's Gamecube are so much nicer to use.

So, I've had to manage the games with digital control, although the PS2's pressure sensitive Dual shock 2 controls are wonderful. Reading this thread, though, I'm at a loss how people can complete the game without tweaking the smaller settings... the F1 races in GT3 were hardcore.

19. jmsait19 thread starter macrumors 6502

im interested in a thread helping to detail car tweaks. Anyway we can help eachother get farther through the game is great. i should be picking it up pretty soon.

20. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

You'd think though, that they'd give me the benefit of the doubt with the licenses, especially since completing 1,2 and 3 :rolleyes:

As for Nürburgring Nordschleife, I use the Toyota MR2 ... Apex? model on that track. The engine sound, especially from the back, is worth the ¥7000 I paid :D Just fooling around a lap took 8 minutes!! :eek:

About that track, what is that on the surface in the game, graffiti? While racing along it looks like there's writing on the track :confused:

21. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I couldn't agree more. GT 2's AI was horrible. GT 4's is much, much better. Especially when you get up to the endurance races, where you really need to be serious, or you'll be left behind. In GT 2 & 3 I finished all the endurance races :D In 3 it was a good lesson in learning braking points, braking distances, entry & exit points, passing opportunities and drafting.

I also look forward to the rally races, my other favorite :D

22. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

There is an option for it. You can choose either.

I myself am waiting for Forza Motorsport. Its going to have damage and a lot more tuning options. That is provided Microsoft can get off their asses and actually release the game. Ive got a playable demo of it and it drives really nice.

23. Xenious macrumors 6502a

You can import your licenses and credits (not cars) from a GT3 game save. I thought that was really cool and it surprised me.

24. jazzmfk macrumors member

Jersey. Route 78, exit 24. Gotta problem with th
    GT4

I haven't been able to play the game all that much yet - but I picked it up the day it was available in my area. I have noticed one significant difference that I haven't seen mentioned yet.

When you really start to crank up the speed, the wind noise becomes more and more obvious... it drowns out even the sound of the engine (well, I guess it would depend upon what you're driving at the time....). It's amazing how it enhances the sensation of speed.

And I've got to agree with those who use the steering wheels instead of the game controllers. I've got a Logitech, and it's great! (Driving nerd warning:) I've also built a little stand for both the wheel and the pedals, customized for my "driving chair", so it feels like I'm really strapped into my car of choice. I plan to pick up a used 911 seat this spring, then build a rack around it for the wheel and the pedals. Hey - if you're going to create a realistic driving experience, why not create a realistic driving experience?

(a kit like this already exists, but the price would be a bit difficult to justify to the wifey.....)

"Keep the shiny side up!"

MFK

25. SurfAddict macrumors member

SurfAddict

Yes its really fun make sure you have 100000 credits in cash not cars from gt3 before transfering however. Thought I had alot of money from memory never rlly loaded up GT3 before though. Anyhow turns out I had to tons of cars I could have sold but only had 800 credits in cash which I found out after I transfered info which btw is a one time thing :(