Anyone playing Resident Evil DS?

Discussion in 'Games' started by mechamac, Feb 10, 2006.

1. mechamac macrumors regular

If you're halfway interested, you should be. It's a really nice port/update. The sparse mansion and goofy voice acting can bring a smile to your face if you're used to the REmake - until you're face to face with a zombie dog in first person knife mode, that is. There are still a number of great "boo!" moments in the game, so make use of the wrist strap if you startle easily.

In Rebirth mode ammo and save ribbons are pretty liberally dispersed, so no worries about RE-DS not being "portable friendly". You can get 10 or 15 minute sessions in pretty easily. It may not be a play-on-the-bus type game, but on a lunch break? In your hotel room? It's just you, Jill, and the mansion. Check it out, zombie slashers.

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm sorta interested in this but I'm still playing the GC remake. its a good game I'm just very lost. dont know whether I'd want to downgrade just to have a fully 3D mansion. The cube game just looks stunning. unless there are loads of new things to add to the gameplay.

3. mechamac thread starter macrumors regular

If you're feeling lost in REmake then you may (as I did) enjoy Resident Evil Zero much, much more. Zero is way more straightforward about where to go and what to do than REmake, without holding your hand. Also, Zero has better graphics and more cut scenes to keep you feeling like you're on the right track. Great stuff.

4. Joined:
    Aug 20, 2005
    I was going to pre-order, but decided to wait for user reviews. Is it any good? Is the mansion big, as far as exploring goes? I have Animal Crossing, and one of my gripes with that game, as great as it is, they made the town too small IMO....I'm thinking they probably did the same with the mansion in RE.

5. mechamac thread starter macrumors regular

The mansion is as big as it was in the Playstation game, and the game includes the various other non-mansion locations as well. Rebirth mode throws in some tweaked-for-DS puzzles and special features, and Classic is a straight port of the PS game. There's no scaling down of the original scope at all.

I'm only familiar with the Gamecube-era RE games (except for Code: Veronica on the Dreamcast) so running through this older version of the game is a blast. Graphics and animations and such aren't as polished as the REmake (by far) but the control and "feel" of the game is undiluted (if small) Resident Evil.

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I played it already and although the controls take a while to get use to it's a good game. Its just a port of the original RE with a few DS features that are not very fun. My friend got it and i borrowed it and i gave it back to him a couple hours later.....it's not that i don't like it but i've done it before and the graphics look dull.

Bless

7. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Ok. Let's think about that...

The DS would have a fully 3D mansion, but not the Gamecube?

Well, I'll tell you. No. It doesn't. It's pre-rendered, as every RE game previous to 'RE:4' was. This is the first game in the series, and the (awful RE) controls, combined with the awkward fixed cameras makes for a frustrating 'mid-90's' experience. Really, if you didn't play this game when it came out for the Playstation, I wouldn't bother. If your first RE games were the recent Gamecube versions, you're going to be disappointed.

Also, the DS feature are gimmicks (as usual). Not to mention the fact that they still include those obnoxious save ribbons.

It's cool to have a classic Playstation game on the go, but as most games for the DS - it doesn't really make good use of the system's functions. It would be better suited for a next-gen Gameboy, I think.

8. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've seen no videos, only screenshots :rolleyes: so I had no idea it was pre-rendered. apart from someone saying a long time ago that it would be 3D.

Hold up there. I've read that both MGS: Twin Snakes and Resident Evil GC were the better versions. At least thats what all my mates say (the ones who played both games religiously, I only played a little on each) but RE scared me more than the PS1 version in the same time period. That's what Resident Evil is all about for me.

10. Viewtiful Rich macrumors regular

Viewtiful Rich

There's no way in heck Capcom is going to get me to buy that game a third time. They should have done this with 2 or made something original instead... but then again something just doesn't seem right about survival horror on a handheld anyways.

11. quikssurfer macrumors member

quikssurfer

I'm on Code Veronica for the dreamcast :)

12. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I was thinking about it, but there is a reason I loved RE 4, it was a departure from the series :)

13. mechamac thread starter macrumors regular

Too bad the reception is so lukewarm. I'm digging it. But I can understand not wanting to shell out for a trip through the mansion again. I picked up REmake for $15 early last year, so I'm not feeling too burned.

But I hope less frequently ported Capcom titles get the DS treatment (RE 2, Dino Crisis, etc). Dare to dream.

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Agreed. Survival horror games are about immersion and experience. There about being lost inside the world of the protagonist.

They are big screen, visual & auditory experiences...
    At least with cube remake they built on those elements to tighten drama and tension...

On a handheld, the only fear is the battery giving up the ghost....

15. mechamac thread starter macrumors regular

But you could say any narrative game is about being lost inside the world of the protagonist. Take RPGs for example. They may look better on a big screen with surround sound, but a handheld RPG isn't any less an RPG. So too with survival horror. So long as the technology of the format is used to the fullest, format needn't matter.

16. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I would enjoy a Survial Horror game on a handheld....i dont play my PSP/GBA/DS much on the train but i play them more at home. A game like Silent hill would be real nice on the PSP...keep me busy for days.

Bless