Anyone playing WoW on a G4/733Mhz ?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Phixor, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Phixor macrumors newbie

I'm really sorry to post another thread about WoW and "will it run on my mac ?". I've been searching for this information a long time before asking here.

I want to buy a copy of WoW and there's no chance i can upgrade my Mac before a long long time...
    If anyone is already playing it on a G4/733mhz with a Geforce2MX, i would really be happy to know if it's really possible and how does it runs.

2. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Hm...I don't think it will run very well. But I don't know too much about WoW. What's your RAM and VRAM? Those make a diffrence.

3. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

Prepare for single digit framerates on your machine in WoW. I honestly wouldn't consider that playable, and far from enjoyable.

4. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

WoW on the Imac in my sig is playable, but barley. Unless you have a super great graphics card i don't think that i will run well.

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    iv seen powerbooks struggle with it, so i doubt an ibook wouldhave better luck

6. Phixor thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for theses answers.

What scares me the most is that i cant find anyone actually playing it with my G4, i guess it must not be possible.
    Man, i'm sad.
    People told me that if i wanted to see how WoW would run on my CPU, i just had to play W3 with all the graphics options maxed to see if I had a chance. And if WoW was running as bad as W3 full option on my G4, i would be happy.

As the bottleneck seems to be the proc G4 itself, changing the CG wont help me i guess.
    Well, i'll have to assume the fact that 3 years ago i bought an expensive prehistoric computer with a very nice look. ;)

7. robyrt macrumors newbie

I'm running it pretty happily on my G4/733 Digital Audio model. I have the Geforce4 Ti graphics card, so that probably makes a difference...but I'd think it would be playable for you. I get between 20-30 fps on my G4. It's playable and looks nice. It gets laggy in laggy areas. Specifically Ironforge near the Auction House...but my buddy's super-high-end Athlon rig bogs down there too and his graphics card is about 2 generations newer. There seems to have been some server-wide issues going on the last couple of days that have caused my gameplay to be downgraded, but most everyone got booted (Alleria) yesterday afternoon and then things were better.

Don't let the naysayers get you down. Get a copy of the game and give it a try. I'm betting you can always upgrade your video card (for a LOT less than what I paid for my Ti4 new!) for a reasonable rate.

The only downside I've found to my experience is one that is totally MacOS related and affects every machine. You can't use teamspeak. My guildies all use it and when we go teaming through instances or whatever, they forget to look at the chat window and sometimes miss what I'm typing to them...the flip side is that I don't hear their "HEAL ME!" "BUFF ME!" pleas...they have to type them if I'm not paying really careful attention to their health bars.

Hope it helps,
    robyrt
    "robthebrave" night elf druid
    alleria server

8. gammamonk macrumors 6502a

gammamonk

WoW on G4

I'm running it on my powerbook 1.5Ghz x 128meg vid x 1Gig ram. It's runs pretty well. There's nothing like a PC for gaming, but I'm impressed for a laptop. 1280x854 ~30FPS

You have half the MHz tho, and probably not a 128meg video card. So don't expect much. But buy the game, it's really awesome. Just get one of those $400 dells from dealsea.com or something.

9. Mantat macrumors 6502a

Ehh.. I never had problem with team speak, I dont even know of what you are talking about. I play with a few other mac users and none ever had that problem... You are talking about the /p command, right?

10. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Also consider that your Geforce 4Ti is 2 generations newer than his Geforce 2MX. I seriously doubt a Geforce2Ti can handle Wow, much less the castrated MX version.

11. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

So, sadly, I think the anser is no, WoW won't run. :(

12. applekid macrumors 68020

Upgrade your graphics and/or CPU. I think that would be enough. And robyrt's reply makes is sound like it's possible.

13. robyrt macrumors newbie

TeamSpeak is a program that allows players in a game to talk to each other via headset. It makes a huge difference in gameplay. If you've never used it, then no, you don't know what you're talking about or missing...it's been around for a pretty long while on the PC and there've been rumors since around 2003 of a mac version, but I'm not holding out much hope.

It's just really nice to yell for help when you get aggro'd by 4 mobs instead of having to type it out and hope everyone see it...

14. Phixor thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot Robyrt !

That's a good news for me, even if i have to change my Geforce2 in the future, that looks possible for me to play WoW while i'm waiting to get rich ;)

You made me happy Robyrt !

15. robyrt macrumors newbie

I hope it works out for you!

Mantat-After rereading my above post I realize that my reply might sound harsh or negative. I didn't mean it that way. I was trying to say that no, you weren't talking about the same thing, as TeamSpeak is a seperate program and /p is the party channel that anyone can use. Again, no offense was intended. :)

16. Phixor thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll let you know as soon as the game is released here in Europe... A couple of week i guess.