Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2002
I was just wondering if any of you Mac Heads read Macworld, Mac Home, MacAddict or another Mac magazine?
If you do, how do you like them?

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I used to get MacWorld until they pissed me off with the way they package the cd's with the mag. I can't remember how many times it would arrive with either broken, scratched, or missing cd's. You pay extra for that, and they can't spend a penny or two to use a protective sleve??? Talk about cheap... at least MacUser used to use sleves. I now get MacAddict, since they do take the extra step to protect the cd's and they actually have usefull stuff on them. Although with the high speed connection, I usually have the updates and demo's before the mag arrives. I still enjoy reading MacAddict more then MacWorld these days. It just seems like MacWorld has gone too commercial and mainstream/commercial.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
which mags I read...

MacWorld and Yahoo! Internet Life...

I really love MacWorld....always great articles....and the help section gives good insight....

I also read Dynamic Graphics magazine...graphic design stuff of course...for u designers and such out there...he he he:p

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
MacAddict, baby.

For some reason, my DAD started getting them in the mail! Hasn't gotten an invoice or anything, so I'll take it while I can. :D

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
MacDesign is one of the best mags I've read in a while. I absolutely love the tutorials. I have learned more from that mag than from college! I can wait for my next issue to arrive.

-Pete

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
australian macworld and macaddict
there both good but macworld is better

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
I love mags but!

i think that Macworld is the worse magazine ever.
The layout is so boring the articles are geared to read like laundry lists.
The tuts are shamefully simple.

Macaddict is far better.

Macdesign> I am in awe of how useless this mags is, WOW .
I bought it twice, the first time, it was so bad that i was stunned.
Though that it was an illusion or a trick, or that it was a very bad month to buy magazines. So i bought it a second time.
Now all i feel is guilt.
It takes a lot of work to make a mag about macs and design SO bad.
Its incredible, they must hire alot of talented people.
Then berate them into senselessness and shame.
Till the mediocrity just spills out every month, like the reward of blood a torturer get from his victims.

Computerarts blows all these mags away.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
grok:

I've never heard of ComputerArts. Is it pretty common?

MacDesign has undergone some major revisions lately. When did you last check it out? They've started branching out to cover more programs and they do provide good tutorials. Maybe we're not as advanced as you...;)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
macDesign
macAddict

Almost anything else you can find online. macDesign is an excellent resource in you do anything creative on the mac.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
ComputerArts is ok....I prefer Dynamic Graphics...it's geared more towards what I do...

MacWorld suits my needs....plus they are starting to go with somewhat of a new layout....to pay homage to OS X they say...

MacAddict is nice....u get free cd's with it....but it's mostly gaming stuff....not much use for me personally... :(

I think if someone is truly interested in the way their machine runs...MacWorld is a good choice....and even MacHome...;)

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
My dad gets subscriptions to MacWorld and MacAddict (he has the collector's issue, number one, of MacAddict!). Occasionally, I will steal a few facts from the magazine when he receives a new issue.

I have found some neat programs on the MacAddict CDs: A free 3D program, a demo of Microsoft Office v. X, lots of shareware games, and a few nice utilities. I also check out the reviews for many hardware and software products.

It does not take a genius to figure it out . . . just someone who uses a Mac.

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
I stand by my review, with confidence

Thanks for the kudo's Ambitious Lemon.

i am trying to take a humorous slant to things without giving anyone on the board a jab or flicker of flame, its a juggling act. :)

Ps: I clicked on your link Ambitious Lemon! <shy snicker>

Rower, if your interested in the only magazine that is truly worth buying.
http://www.computerarts.co.uk/

And even this mag at times is a passerby yet i always seem to get a little something interesting from it each month. Considering that I buy all their publications including DV world, 3dWorld, Access and Computer Music.

And I know that they have me charted in that big corporate office. As a buyer for their next new mag release which I think will be called Computer Lamoid.

While, I cant say that I am always totally satisfied with the content, I have never been stupified by its meager nor ugly innards.
< thats magazine barn yard talk>.
As i am, by all these other publications that seen to have no idea of the slightest comprehension of the golden ratio and proportional systems of design.
While I actually saw an explaination of just this, in an issue of ACCESS.
Now thats interesting~

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
MacAddict.

I like MacAddict.

Its like a cross between MacWorld and Maxim. Its funny yet informative.

I don't get it anymore, though. I couldn't bring myself to pay extra for that CD. I already have all thre programs on the CD before I get the mag.

Matthew

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
macworld
microsoft certified professional
guitar world/guitar one

mac addict and mac home are good and mac tech is good if you are really into macs...if you are in the states and would like to spend a lot, mac format from england is the best i have ever seen...here i am right next to apple and i like a british magazine on macs:p

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Australian Macworld all the way!..I've seen those macworlds at the newsagents with the cd's but the homedelivered macworlds i get are somewhat different and better..

D0ct0rteeth

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2002
Franklin, TN
I agree with Grokgod.. I will pick up CA every once in a while; the rest of the 'em I read at barnes and noble....

every issue is the same... literally; you cant tell them apart... i've been reading that it is finally time to switch to osx for six months.... along with enough office.x reviews to choke a cow.

macdirectory is cool. it actually has intelligently written articles and isnt just a mag blowing hot air up my ass... is not as "narrowly focused" as the others and not for everyone...

Print is fantastic mag as well

C-

spuncan

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2001
Detroit
Mac addict

I read mac addict and have for a while the one thing i wish mac addict would put in is something like the Andy I. articles in Mac world which I think are really good. But I think Mac world is just to strict they have very few things that r'nt 100% Apple even when they're wrong.

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
Mm i think i will try Mac format!

All the uk mags are the best, i think.

Also the best guitar magazine is Guitar techniques.

Best format, best licks < I mean that in a nice way> Best information.
All the other guitar magazines totally suck and are very boring.

Jefhatfield!> You play guitar. Lets start a mini thread. All guitarist state their
guitars and setups.
Begin now~
Ernie Ball Music man Super Axis with the MM90's pickup
<its got the sweetest neck which i compare to the curvature of my girls small of her back!>
Digitech GNX2
Marshall VST valve amp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.