Anyone receive a BTO 1.42...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Tom Light, Mar 7, 2003.

  1. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2002
    #1
    ...from the Apple Store yet? And, if so, what was your time to delivery?

    Thanks!

    Tom
     
  2. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2003
    Location:
    Top cabinet, 2nd shelf
    #2
    Not an answer to your question but...

    I wish :(

    I upgraded my order (originally for a dual 1.25) on Feb 7th. My 'on-or-before' date is March 24th.

    My specs:
    dual 1.42 (of course ;))
    1 GB RAM
    2x180 GB HDD
    SuperDrive
    GeForce 4 Titanium
    Modem

    (no bluetooth, no airport)

    It'll be my first Mac. Hope to do lots of FCP work on it. :)

    I think of myself as a patient fellow, but damn, this wait is killing me...
     
  3. macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2002
    Location:
    Sol III - Terra
    #3
    Mine is supposed to ship by the 12th.

    I started with the ultimate config, changed it to have 2 * 180 GB disks, added a combo drive.

    I left the bluetooh in as I decided I would have a bluetooth device soon enough and didn't want to have to deal with a USB one.
     
  4. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2002
    Location:
    Boston
    #4
    shippin estimates on the mac online store is no down to 5-7 days for the stock 1.42 powermacs.... dam this wait for my first mac is KILLING me
     
  5. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2001
    Location:
    Marion, Ohio
    #5
    I think one of the major deterrants for switchers is the wait time. Apple either needs to either get production sped up of they need to announce only once they are ready with a product. Heck, that would give them a lot more releases per year, but that would ruin their pricing mechanism. I know that they know better than I about marketing, but I think that they are going to have fewer and fewer switchers and people with macs staying if they don't start getting things done when ordered.
     
  6. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2002
    Location:
    Boston
    #6
    anyone YET?.. a couple resellers are now reporting they have the stock config in stock (macprices.com). As for me, nope still waiting with no clue if its gonna ship on time or not...
     
  7. macrumors 6502a

    Vlade

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2003
    Location:
    Meadville, PA
    #7
    Why would you guys buy RAM and hard drives from apple as a BTO option? Ram is over double the price of the RAM i get from MacMall (dont worry, they are the same quality). I can get a 80 GB hard drive for 80 dollars at Staples with rebates, and if you dont want to mess with that you can still get a 180 gig hard drive from macmall.com for ALOT less. (and they are probably going to be the same quality, apple switches what hard drives they use alot, mine came with a maxtor).
     
  8. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2003
    Location:
    Top cabinet, 2nd shelf
    #8
    Yeah, it would make more financial sense to go that route but I've always hated adding hard drives to machines, so I got a 2nd hard drive BTO.

    As far as RAM, once I've passed the inevitable shakedown period without a hitch, I'm probably going to get 2 512 DIMMs from RamJet or MacMall (if I think it'll do me any good).
     
  9. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2002
    Location:
    Boston
    #9
    if you wanted internall blue tooth and/or a better video card you had to order a bto and you'd be waiting as well. Blue tooth you cant add on after only if you want it filling up one of your usb ports and a better video card you'd be wasting money buying the stock one and then buying a better one. As for ram and extra hard drives, personally I didnt get any extra hard drives but I did order more ram just because Id rather have it all ready put in once I get it and for some reason just feel safer having it from apple.
     
  10. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2002
    Location:
    manhattan
    #10
    just a bad idea in my opinion not to get the bt module ! this bt thing is very cool and getting even better !
    And of course, I agree, ordering ram and hd's from Apple is really a rip-off, even though I can understand those who don't want to deal with that stuff. Yet, installing drives and ram is so easy (I can do it !!!!!). I got both at crucial.com, great prices and service (I would never market anyone except that I really like these guys at crucial and no one evre mention them, in fact I even posted about it some time ago).


    good luck !
    gio
     
  11. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2003
    Location:
    Top cabinet, 2nd shelf
    #11
    Personally, I just don't see the point of Bluetooth for me right now (don't have a BT PDA or cell phone, and considering all the money I've just blown on my Mac and FCP, I won't upgrading either for a while :().

    Also, like all wireless protocols, Bluetooth will be upgraded at some point, so you'd probably need new hardware anyway to take advantage of the increased feature set.

    It is a cool technology, just not something that I need soldered into my box right now.

    Or, at least, that's my justification for being cheap about it. ;)

    edit: I should add that I used that $50 to pick up the iSub instead - gotta have that bass with your music now! :D
     
  12. macrumors 65816

    Foxer

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2003
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #12
    BTO's still aren't shipping? Makes me even happier I cancelled mine and bought the stock model from the local Store. It's sooooo sweet!
     
  13. macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2002
    Location:
    Sol III - Terra
    #13
    To answer your questions:
    1) Why harddrives - well upgrading the first one in size makes sense if you intend to max out the number of internal drives. As for why the second one, well at least it's covered by Apple Care and it means I don't have to open up the machine to make it usable to me.
    2) Memory.again a question off how much use I can get out of the machine without opening it up. And at that point, the difference for the last DIMM wasn't a big deal.

    I will be adding more disks soon enough. And a USB 2.0/Firewire combo card (so I get full speed such as it is from a scanner) and I don't need a USB or firewire hub.

    But to return to your original question. I'd like to be able to use the machine for 30 days at least before modifying it. This way I can shake out any problems, and just point at Apple.
     
  14. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2003
    #14
    I agree. #1 is the most valid response. Memory comes and goes but when a hard drive crashes it can get sticky. Saving money up front on a hard drive is nothing compared to being able to hand it back to a service center and get them to turn it around via Apple Care. Hard drive related problems are much harder to diagnose and fix as well. And with Apple formatting it I feel alot more confident about the drives integrity.

    The memory thing is another thing altogether. Unless you got in on a deal before the first of the year [I think 512k modules were $40] you should configure the minimum and buy via ramfinder or somethin.

    I dont understand why one would add a combo drive inside when you can get a much faster external firewire CDR-RW for alot less.

    my 2 cents
     
  15. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2002
    Location:
    manhattan
    #15
    ottonian,
    are you sure one can get a much faster external firewire CDR-RW for alot less ? I have some doubts. I don't know about cd-rw, but in general I still find firewire peripheral laughingly expensive. Just think hard drives, with PM now having 4 bays for hd's...not many I imagine would care for fw hard drive. And then there is always the space factor. So much cleaner to have as much as possible internal, I think.
     
  16. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2003
    #16
    ship dates

    has anyones date changed on there estimated ship on there bto 1.42? mine is still april 2nd and just wont change:( i was hoping once they got rolling they would start shipping quicker, i guess thats just wishfull thinking. please let us know if anyone recieves a bto unit. thanks
     
  17. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2001
    #17
    mine is supposed to ship by thursday.
     
  18. macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2002
    Location:
    Sol III - Terra
    #18
    • An Apple Combo Drive is $150 (US). How much is an external firewire optical drive going to cost?
    • It writes CD-R's at 32x. A faster drive would change burn times by under a minute. Not a big deal.
    • Internal means no firwire cable or powercords to deal with. And you don't need to find a place to put the firewire enclosure.
    • I'm rough on optical drives, getting one that the AppleCare applies to is a good deal for me.
     
  19. macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2002
    Location:
    Sol III - Terra
    #19
    Re: ship dates

    Mine is till "On or before 3/12/02" which is tomorrow.

    My guess is that you won't know about any delays until the night of your ship by date.

    I guess I'll know within 24 hours if the Unit will ship on time.
     
  20. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2002
    Location:
    Boston
    #20
    stock orders now 3-5 days but BTO orders are still estimated at 2-3 weeks.. whats up with BTO orders take so much longer?.. Bear, if you get an e-mail tonight saying its not gonna ship then we'll know something is up definitly but lets hope it gets shipped to you
     
  21. macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2002
    Location:
    Sol III - Terra
    #21
    The dreaded email from Apple.....

    Need I say more? :( Next update when I get my next email.
     
  22. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2002
    Location:
    Boston
    #22
    are you ****ting me... Im sorry but seriously now I was just anxious before about getting my 1.42 now Im seriously on the brink of being pissed. Bear did you call them to ask what exactly is holding up the BTO orders. I mean the reason Im about to get pissed is because all of us who ordered dam over a month ago are about to have our orders pushed back and people who order stock ones TODAY get them in less then a dam WEEK! whats up with that I mean what ever happened to first come first serve.. the reason I ordered this powermac insted of waiting for the 970s is because I need work done and I need it done now, when I ordered I knew I could wait 4-6 weeks and put stuff on a little bit of hold but I cant do it much longer if at all
     
  23. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2003
    #23
    im bummed

    sorry to hear the news bear. you now have the same ship date as me, i hope for both of us this is a solid date!!!!!! apple needs to pull there heads out of there butts!!!!!!!! send more beer!!! :(
     
  24. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2002
    Location:
    Boston
    #24
    can someone PLEASE explain to me what could POSSIBLY be holding our orders up... not the processors we know that and how could it be any bto options we ordered because they seem to be shipping just fine with people who ordered them on 1.25 powermacs.... whats up?
     
  25. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2003
    Location:
    Top cabinet, 2nd shelf
    #25
    My theory is that there aren't enough chip allocated to BTO orders to meet the (BTO) demand.

    Let's say - very hypothetically - that Apple only gets 60,000 chips from Motorola in the initial 1.42 shipment.

    Apple decides that it has to allocate a certain number of chips for standard configurations so that resellers and B&M Apple stores have the necessary stock (hey, the walk-in/spur-of-the-moment sales are important to Apple too - probably moreso than BTO purchases).

    If, say, that allotment is 50,000 chips (for 25,000 standard machines), that leaves only 10,000 chips (or 5,000 machines) for BTO orders.

    But, I'm guessing, Apple's gotten far more than 5,000 BTO orders. Since (I'm guessing again) Apple deems having in-stock standard machine more important, we BTO folks get screwed. Royally.

    Of course, in this hypothetical scenario, it would have been more appropriate to pass on to customers that it would take 8-12 weeks (instead of the 6-8 that was given). But, of course, I think that would scare away most BTO orders.

    Bastards. :mad:
     

Share This Page