anyone received a G5 iMac with wireless keyboard and mouse?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Natron, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Natron macrumors member

Oct 26, 2002
    I've looked around in the forums and I can't find the answer to this.

Has anyone ordered a G5 iMac with the wireless keyboard and mouse? Did the iMac still ship with the wired versions (with both wired and wireless) or just the wireless versions?

Also, I noticed on the Apple online store that with an iMac you can order a bluetooth module AND the bluetooth module with wireless mouse and keyboard. That effectively charges someone for 2 bluetooth modules.

2. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Feb 19, 2003
    Planet Zebes
    I ordered one on 9/1/04 and it still states a ship date of 'on or before 10/1/04'. If you order the all-in-one 'keyboard/mouse/bluetooth' you get all 3 of them for that set do not have to add the bluetooth model listed on the BTO options above it.
  3. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Home of Al-Qaida
    Apple offers a standard wired Apple Keyboard and Mouse with all iMac G5 models. Options include a wireless bundle, which includes an Apple Wireless Keyboard, Apple Wireless Mouse, and a built-in Bluetooth module.

1) Pretty sure you'll get just the wireless kb/mouse if you choose it as BTO. There's no point in them wasting a good kb/mouse set when people don't use it or might sell it for profit. Steve knows.
    2) Apple will gladly charge you the extra $50 if you're dumb enough to have it selected while picking the BT/KB/Mouse option too.
  4. Natron thread starter macrumors member

Oct 26, 2002
    I figured you would only get the wireless versions, but don't you need the wired versions to set up the bluetooth versions?

Even if Apple sets them up for you, what happens when you reinstall your OS?
  5. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    I seem to recall they fixed that issue. Let's hope my memory serves me well :)
  6. alywa macrumors 6502

May 6, 2004
    You won't get double charged

If you order the BT mouse / keyboard combo, it won't let you order the "built-in bluetooth module"... it gives you an error message.

This effectively eliminates the double charge issue.

7. kgarner macrumors 68000

Jan 28, 2004
    Well, if your memory is faulty then mine is too. :) as for the question fo reinstalling the OS, I am nearly positive that they come with 10.3.5 on the disc so that is what you would reinstall and I believe they patched the bluetooth issue back around 10.3.2 or 10.3.3.
  8. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Jan 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The iMac G5 w/wireless Keyboard and Mouse only comes with the wireless versions in the box (with batteries too).

When you first start up the iMac a setup assistant should come up to pair the keyboard/mouse to the iMac. After that point you can then set up Mac OS X and the iMac.

The reason the Keyboard/Mouse Wireless specifies BlueTooth is to specifically point out *how* they will wirelessly connect to the Mac i.e. you will get a BlueTooth feature when selecting those peripherals even if you did not explicitly select the BlueTooth option. There are other non-BlueTooth wireless keyboards and mice, which Apple is *not* selling with their products.

Lastly the iMac G5 does not have a separate BlueTooth module, there are actually different motherboards with or without BlueTooth. It is not really something that is plugged in like an AirPort card (in the iMac G5 at least).
  9. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003

Not to sound like a jerk, but how do you know for sure? Did you buy one?
  10. Natron thread starter macrumors member

Oct 26, 2002
    A friend had told me that the wireless versions come in their separate boxes, shipped along side the iMac. I wanted to know if anybody knew for sure.