Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neonart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
Just wondering if anyone has received their new 12" PowerBook, or got one at a store. My wife ordered hers (;)) the morning after the Expo. Ship date says today 9/25/03.

I can't wait to get this book! I already have RAM and an Extreme card waiting for it...

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
nope, not yet. Am anxiously waiting. :) On or before 10/1. But the apple guy I talked to did say that they are actually shipping already, i.e. there is just a back order and not a production problem.

Lord Bodak

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2003
Chesapeake, VA USA
Word is they have been delayed :(
Somebody posted on the Apple forums that the Apple Store told him they were delayed (the earliest ship dates seemed to be yesterday, 9/24), but could not tell him when they would ship.

This is quite annoying.... still anxiously awaiting my first Mac.

edit: Just got off the phone with the Apple Store, there has been a shipping delay and they are hoping to get mine out on 10/3. My original estimate was 9/25.

lucidfuse

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
Shipping Dates

By the way, I think Apple forgets to tell you that when you order a Mac (at least with some add-ons such as a different hard drive or some ram) that the ship times do not count the fact that they're coming from Taiwan. I paid for 2-day shipping. My laptop was scheduled to ship on the 25th- which it did - but according to Airborne, it's coming from Taiwan, and the "2-day shipping" only takes effect after it makes it into the US, about 3-4 days. So my laptop is still somewhere else, not on US soil. I probably won't see it until next week.

So add about a week to your delivery date.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
This sucks. I ordered my 12" PB the morning they were released, and, like everyone else, had an initial ship date of the 25th. Now I get an email from Apple apologizing for not shipping it yet, and that the new expected ship date is 10/3. Normally I wouldn't be so impatient, but after waiting for so long for the new PB updates, finding that the 12"ers were not shipping the same day (unlike the 15" and 17"), and now having an additional week delay, this is getting to me. I seriously need a laptop now.

Anyone have an info as to why they are delayed? I checked the two local Apple Stores near me, and one did not have any new 12" PBs, but the other had a few Combo Drive models (at least according to the sales associate). This would seem to indicate that there is a possible problem with 2X SuperDrive supplies. Anyone with a Combo Drive on order have their's pushed back to 10/3? If so, then I am inclined to blame it on Moto. Then again, at this point I blame Moto when it rains.

The other annoying thing is that my iPod, which I ordered at the same time, shipped on the 19th, but can't be tracked. Apple gave me the wrong tracking number. After two calls and almost 30 minutes on the phone, I finally got the correct tracking number, but it only shows that, after 5 business days, my iPod is "in transit." No kidding -- I know it is "in transit" because they told me it shipped and I don't have it yet. I want to know where exactly it is. I know this is more an Airborne Express problem than an Apple one, but it still pisses me off that I had to waste so much time to get the right tracking number, and that 5 days after it shipped I still don't have it.

Paperstreet

macrumors member
I got mine. I cancelled my online order and went to my local Apple store, where they got a rather small shipment of the new 12's. All the superdrives were sold out, but that was fine since I wanted a combo. Unfortunately, I had to go with the 40gb hard drive (that's not too bad) and I'll have to install the airport card myself. Oh well.

First impressions:

BEAUTIFUL.

NOT TOO WARM!!!!!!!!

BEAUTIFUL. (Did I say that already?)

One problem though: I installed Microsoft Office v.X on it and it's in some 'trial' mode. It never asked me for my product key, and I can't find a way to put my key in. Any suggestions?????? This is driving me nuts.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
delete all the office stuff and start over...thats the only way i coudl do it

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
ah, so it might be a superdrive issue? That's good for me... sorry guys! Though if my date does get pushed back, I may have to cancel and go get one retail. But as of yesterday, no Apple stores in my area had any of the new 12"ers...

Paperstreet

macrumors member
Ok. Thank you about Office. That fixed it.

My only other problem- The ram I orderd from Small dog was WRONG. I need to order the CORRECT 512 stick this time.

Other than that, all I can say is WOW.

If you choose to keep waiting- it's worth it.

I sacrificed a little bit by buying now and it might haunt me in the long run. But I can always take my firewire drive along for more storage. :)

Anybody have any questions about it? I'll be glad to oblige.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Originally posted by Lord Bodak
I'm a little disappointed in Apple for letting retail stores get the new ones before processing preorders.

It always happens that way. Every time, with every new computer they release.

Col127

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2003
yeah i'm in the same boat. i was eagerly anticipating this time to come since i purchased my 12" pb on the 16th of sept, and much to my dismay, i received an e-mail with the notice of the delay. the date's been switched to 10/03 for me as well.

anyone know what's up with this? i'm thinking if they do this to us once, they can certainly do it to us again later on...

do we get compensated at all for this? argh :p

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Originally posted by Lord Bodak
I'm a little disappointed in Apple for letting retail stores get the new ones before processing preorders.

well, you didnt "pre order", as preordering would require it to have a shipping date in the future, not set for shipping upon release. So, in short, online orders get just as much as stores do, well actually less because stores buy in volume.

neonart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
Our order (9/16) which was delayed to 10/3 is not Super Drive or anything BTO. It's a totally stock setup.

It does not bother mw too much, but I'd love to see this thing!

Also, PAPERSTREET, fill us in some more about the heat. Did you ever get to experience one of the 867 models, which some said ran very warm? Can you compare yours to that or just give us an idea of how warm your Book feels after good use?

tick, tock, tick, tock...

Paperstreet

macrumors member
The heat issue, is practically non-existent. The old 867's got really hot and this one...doesn't. It just gets a little warm, much like my old Gateway PC laptop. But it gets no where near the level of the 867. Now, granted, I haven't sat there with the 12" for 4 hours yet, but after a good hour or two, the 12" is just....warm.

I like it. A lot.

neonart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
Apparently our 12" shipped. Just after it was "delayed" we got an email that it has shipped!
It just left Taiwan Airport. Delivery is expected on Tuesday the 30th. So really they only delayed 1 day.

Thanks for the info on the heat. Thats great news!

Lord Bodak

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2003
Chesapeake, VA USA
Lucky! I hope mine does too!
*crosses fingers*

I did notice another temporary authorization on my credit card from Apple today... they did it when I first ordered, they shouldn't be doing it again til it ships, so I am hoping that is a sign that it did.

Originally posted by neonart
Apparently our 12" shipped. Just after it was "delayed" we got an email that it has shipped!
It just left Taiwan Airport. Delivery is expected on Tuesday the 30th. So really they only delayed 1 day.

Col127

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2003
my 12" shipped today too after getting an e-mail yesterday that it would be delayed. i was very surprised this morning when i checked my e-mail and saw another notice from apple :)

i should be getting mine on the 29th! i'm curious though, why are they being shipped from taiwan?

neonart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
Originally posted by Col127
why are they being shipped from taiwan?

It's very common for Apple to ship direct from Taiwan where they are built-and I guess- setup. Eventually when the initial demand dies down, they are stocked in the U.S. and ship from Apple or Ingram (sp?).
Our iBook 300 back in '99, and our iMac 800 in '02 both shipped from Taiwan because they where ordered right after their release.
Now what I find strange is that my wife's 10GB iPod (which still has not arrived) was shipped from Taiwan also. You'd figure iPods, being one of their best sellers and not a new model, they'd be stocked to the gills with 'em.

fraeone

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2003
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by Col127
i'm curious though, why are they being shipped from taiwan?

This is common practice across the industry. I bought a cheapo Dell laptop a few months ago and it shipped from Malaysia (!).

fraeone

doubting_me

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2003
Paperstreet

Paperstreet,

Update us on the heat, and certainly the speed: can you post benchmarks? I found the 867 to not be as snappy as my Ti400 which I largely attributed to a lack of any reasonable cache, and the fact that the model I was using only had 256 meg of ram, what about the new one?

Airport reception... still good?
Screen? A lot of people complained about the screen on the first revision, is it the same on this revision? And how about battery life? Does it ship with 10.2.8 or the 10.2.7 (or was it .6 for powerbooks. Stupid Apple and how they have screwed Jaguar all up. Don't tell me it isn't a ploy to make us throw our collective hands up and just by 10.3 ;) )

I need to know about SPEED! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.