Anyone received their Intel iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MartinAyla, Jan 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MartinAyla macrumors regular

Hi

Have anyone read reports from people who has received their Intel iMac yet?

I would like to read some reviews and first hand experiences.

I have to wait for mine a bit longer here in Denmark. But I read that some stores in the US had them in stock and people are picking them up.

2. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

ive heard everything is really slow - especially things that use rosetta. "slower than my 900mhz ibook'' was the term they used

3. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

I'm afraid I have to agree. My friend got his yesterday, and he said it was as "slow as molases". Its like treacle. :( iTunes and Safari were taking all day to load. Still. I guess 8 seconds loading time for iTunes isn't too bad. He does have like 1000 songs.

4. MartinAyla thread starter macrumors regular

That doesn't sound too good.

Any links to some more info?

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

iTunes 6.0.2 is Universal... I think there might be something else that's wrong... :rolleyes:

6. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

I agree. Maybe his energy saver settings are wrong.

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Definetly, iTunes & Safari are both universal binary. I think I may smell a hint of bs.... :rolleyes:

8. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

If these first intels do suck this bad, then i am gonna be happy as larry with my last PPC iMac. It is the fastest computer ive ever used, and my mate has a 3.6 GhZ monster that is slow compared to the iMac. ha. Stupid intel. AMD any day

9. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

Source from actual users

so this might be why they are continuing to sell PPC

10. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

I dunno. I haven't used one.. just what he told me. Link doesn't look too good. :S

I hope this is just an isolated case or something.

11. Morn macrumors 6502

Tell him to see if windows will install. People want to know the answer to that.

12. Arcus macrumors 6502a

Universal binaries = stupid.

Trying to be all things for all people has NEVER been efficient. If they are going to do this right they need to choose one or the other.

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah that link does look bad but doesn't mention what tasks they are doing apart from the guy stating photoshop took 6 minutes to load...

But photoshop still in Rosetta, I'll reserve judgment on it's true performance till Adobe release universal version.

But Safari & iTunes? No way thay can be that slow. Did you see how fast iDVD, iPhoto, iWeb etc.. all responded in the videos going about. They flew through the tasks.

14. Malcster macrumors 6502

This has to be BS, Steve was using one of the imacs on the keynote and it was ripping through the stuff he was doing.

Plus heres a vid of the macbook pro in action and it looks to be going real quick through the stuff the guy is doing on it.

http://theory.isthereason.com/?p=650

15. Morn macrumors 6502

Well we knew rosetta wasn't going to be as fast as native code.
    Nonsense, how else are people supposed to run powerpc apps. The only disadvantage is having double the executable code, which doesn't matter with today's large hard drives. Trying to do all things for all people can be efficient, its just harder to good a good job of designing something that way. And OSX is the perfect example of that, its great for power users and newbies.

16. ksgant macrumors 6502a

ksgant

The link to the site that claims "slow as molasses" is still all hearsay. And that itself smells like BS. Until I personally see one inside an Apple Store and test it for myself, will I not be impressed. I never take someone just saying "it's slow as molasses" because who knows what agenda, if any, they're trying to push or convey. Could even be some Windows nerd just trying to rage the forums.

Take what you hear as exactly what it is, hearsay. Until a real, honest test and benchmark and trial can be done by a trusted source, beware of other peoples opinions.

17. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

The site is just one source, and it appears to be isolated. Maybe some software issue?

18. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

It sounds like a load of rubbish to me, although it is pretty odd that the US Apple Store is still selling the PowerPC version of the iMac for the same price as the Intel one. Why would they do that? It's not great marketing.

19. danny_w macrumors 601

It's great for people who must run PPC software and pro apps that won't run on the Intel, or even for those of us who don't trust a Rev A of anything. Until more universal binaries are available, I think it is very smart of Apple to sell both, and very dumb if they decide to drop the G5 version.

20. admanimal macrumors 68040

People already know the answer...Windows XP will not run because it does not support EFI (the BIOS replacement that Intel Macs have). Windows Vista does support this, however.

21. y0zza macrumors regular

Quote from the website linked:
    Clearly bogus that Photoshop CS2 takes 6 minutes to load, at least based on the demos Steve gave at WWDC05 and MWSF06. :rolleyes:

22. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This "source" amounts to one person.

23. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

It's all BS. I used the iMacs and MacBooks at Macworld and they were very speedy. Photoshop took less time to load than it does on my Mac mini... and it ran faster, too. iTunes, iPhoto, GarageBand were all incredibly fast and responsive.

24. kyeblue macrumors member

thanks, i am waiting for my iMac and was really worried reading previous post. My major concern is how good MS Office runs on rosetta.

25. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

The source is the website - don't shoot the messenger - I never said i believed it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.