Anyone recommend a "travel friendly" webcam?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by scrugro, Feb 4, 2007.

1. scrugro macrumors newbie

Heading out on a trip in the coming months and was hoping to take along a decent quality, travel-friendly webcam to Skype with friends/family back home on my 12" Powerbook. Any recommendations? Ideally would like to stay below $100.

Also looking for a travel-friendly mic if anyone knows of one. So far this one is getting decent reviews - although it is a bit pricey:
    Communicator Grey C100S USB Speakerphone for Skype
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TF8&coliid=I1U83J8STE7IZA&colid=23J9C45M8IPL3

Thanks in advance.

2. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

if you can find one...

3. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I personally would sell the PowerBook and buy a MacBook. It certainly has a travel friendly webcam...

4. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

If you buy a non-Apple webcam make sure it will work - check on this list. And you'll have to download Macam to get it to work (its free). Otherwise get a secondhand iSight, but they're expensive - silly prices on eBay.

5. scrugro thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info...I'll check it out.

So I'm a (relative) Mac newbie....have iSight cams been discontinued? I see them on ebay for like $400...weren't these the cams that were $149?

What's the story?

6. micazoulay macrumors newbie

trying to make my quickcam orbit working

hi everyone, i'm tryiing to get my quickcam orbit work but it seems it's impossble. I've downloaded macam, ioxeprt and logicam softwares but nothing comes out from it...Anyone has an idea ? if i have to buy another one, which one would work (except isght cause too expensive) ? I've seen on the net iMage USB Webcam. does anyone know something about it ?
    Thanks for your answers.:confused:

7. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Apple discontinued the iSight. And as such, their resale prices have skyrocketed. It's a bit unfortunate.

8. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

Check this list of cams http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/cameras/index.php - there are 3 different models, one is supported, one 'should work' and the other is being worked on. I did mention it earlier on in the thread.....:)
    It shouldn't be too long before the next Macam update, be patient and you might be lucky.