Anyone recommend a USB wireless adaptor that works!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by allan_zip, Mar 2, 2006.

1. allan_zip macrumors regular

Feb 25, 2005
    Belfast, N. Ireland
    I have the D-link dwl-122 with the 1.4.7 driver, bought under advisement from a poster on this forum. It gives me a good connection but causes my ibook to crash when i unplug or put it to sleep. Is there anyone who has got a similar device to work without any problems? I'm on 10.3.9 and have no plans to move to Tiger, so updates shouldn't be a problem with drivers.
    Has anyone tried the Belkin USB adaptor or the Netgear MA111 adaptor? I really need advice from someone who has got this working with no problems before i throw more cash out (it's in short supply so an original airport card is not an option, before anyone suggests).
    Hope someone can help.
  2. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Feb 3, 2004
    Virginia Beach, VA
    This is a good question, I'd like to know the answer myself since I just bought a G3 iMac and don't want to spend $100+ for an Airport card.

Have you tried updating the firmware on your current D-Link model? That may solve the crashing problems if it is indeed supposed to work with OS X.
  3. Shaker macrumors member

Apr 19, 2004

I had a similar problem with a different D-Link but the firmware update took care of it.
  4. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
    The Belkin F5D7050 USB does work. You need to use the 10.4 drivers from RALINK drivers from

The ones you need are 11g-2500 Mac 10.4 section..

USB 2005/11/29 Drv1.1.2.0 10.4.X Doc

Belkin works perfectly with this driver set.
  5. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Apr 25, 2004
    Have you considered getting a wireless ethernet bridge instead? It plugs into the ethernet port on your computer instead of the USB port, and thus it requires no special drivers to work. In my experience they are far less of a headache to work with over USB adapters which have crap drivers under OS X.
  6. corywoolf macrumors 65816

Jun 28, 2004
    I believe he has an iBook, so it needs to be USB based for the sake of portability.