Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allan_zip

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2005
Belfast, N. Ireland
I'm looking to pick up an external dvd writer to hook up to my g3 600mhz ibook. I want to daisychain it to my lacie 'porsche' external HD through firewire. Can anyone recommend me a model or advise me whether or not this chaining is do-able.
Cheers,
Allan

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
This DL LaCie burner should do the trick...

Edit: I'm a bit worried about the G4 system requirement... maybe you should hear if anyone tried it with a G3...? We've used a LaCie d2 4X DVD+/-RW a lot with an old Pismo that has a G3@400MHz, and that works fine...

SFVCyclone

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2005
Pasadena, Ca
Sony

I use a sony dual layer dvd burner at work for archiving purposes, but it's directly attached to a 400mhz G4, it works really great but i dont know how it will do with your set up, just check it out and see it it works with it. model number DRX-700UL.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
devman
The new Lacies with lightscribe look very interesting.

Quote:

Now with LightScribe technology, the same laser that burns data onto discs can easily burn precise professional-quality custom designs directly onto the label side of your CDs and DVDs.
I sent them an e-mail about 2-3 weeks ago about the drive and if anyone has seen the adds it's a HP DVD +/- drive. TDK sells the dvds and from them the cost is $22 US for 10/12 pack with the lightscribe top. It looks very nice and no more ink smears on discs. :D I think it is well worth the price for what you get.

kwajaln

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2004
CHICAGO!
Artful Dodger, I had planned on buying one of the LaCie lightscribe external burners in the near future, but you mentioned something that caught my attention. Are there only certain blanks that are compatible with the lightscribe capability? I *assumed* any blank without a surfce design would have done the trick, but I guess not. Thanks!

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
kwajaln
Artful Dodger, I had planned on buying one of the LaCie lightscribe external burners in the near future, but you mentioned something that caught my attention. Are there only certain blanks that are compatible with the lightscribe capability? I *assumed* any blank without a surfce design would have done the trick, but I guess not. Thanks!
Yes only certain media will work, TDK, HP (it's their drive in it), Verbatim and only the "+" R media since none of the companies are making any other media as of yet. This was from about 3 or 4 e-mails to different companies that were given to me by LaCie. Also the discs are of a gray scale "etched" quality when burned.
You will have to look for the Lightscribe logo on the side of the dvd/cd cake packs or what ever they pack them in.
Hope this helps. :)

bobandtom

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2005
External lightscribe available

FYI: I have noticed that the LaCie model External Lightscribe Burner won't be available until 'sometime in April' according to their website. I did a search, and someone on eBay (USA) is selling an external Lightscribe burner with FireWire and USB. I searched using "External Lightscribe". Some nice images there.

According to the auction, the drive is compatible with Windows, but I would think they are just referring to the software that comes along with it.

The HP website actually has a free downloadable LightScribe labeler for Windows, so I should think they will provide the same for Mac.

Cheers.

Brett

Dscn1378.jpg

http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/viewimage.x/00000000/theresaleking/Dscn1378.jpg?allow_mailing_list=1&owner_id=486592&allow_track_link=1&track=022d3903c8-76cc0&pt=bidpay&sp=1

VOSH.jpg

imagehost.vendio.com/bin/viewimage.x/00000000/theresaleking/VOSH.jpg?allow_mailing_list=1&owner_id=486592&allow_track_link=1&track=022d3903c8-76cc0&pt=bidpay&sp=1

Toppa G's

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2003
The exurbs, MN
Fantom DVD writer

I just picked up a Fantom Premier DVD writer - FDDRWDF16D - from MacMall for ~$120. Seems like it should work well...came with Toast Lite 6 for Mac and was plug and go-able. Haven't done extensive testing or work with it yet, but will report back if I find any problems.

edit:I am using a G3 500 mHz iBook with this particular burner - my only limitation is hard drive space :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.