Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
I'm perhaps the most indecisive person you'll ever meet. I hate to spend more than I need, and I hate to buy and regret not going for "the next step up"

I've ordered the 13/8/128 twice and the 13/8/256 twice and cancelled all 4 orders. Part of me says I can easily get away with 128 since I don't have a lot to store. And the other half of me says that I'll kick myself for not getting the 256.

My budget is $1500 max but that's already pushing it a bit.

The only thing holding me back is the price. You can easily find 256GB SSD's for $~160 but the thought of paying $200 just to get a 128GB upgrade is really putting me off.

Has anyone regretted getting the 128GB?

BJJBear

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2013
No, but my MBA is not my primary machine.
I couldn't live with 128GB if it was my main machine.

Same with me. No problems on 128GB as a secondary computer, the iMac is like the 'mothership' and stores all the big files whilst I just put all the files I need for current projects on the MBA.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
I agree. If this is your main machine, 128GB will not be enough. Get 256 at least. Of course, it also all depends on what you use your computer for. I had a 128GB MacBook Air a few years ago and regretted it after about a year. Every computer I've bought from then on has at least 256GB.

By the way, with your indecisiveness, you might as well just wait until next year to buy. lol

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Has anyone regretted getting the 128GB?

I had a 128GB 2012 MBA and just got the new 2013 MBA in 128GB and this is my only computer. I have no problems at all with 128GB. I have about 1GB of documents, 1,200 songs for a total of 12GB, and 6,000 photos for about 8GB. I am using just over 60GB of the 128GB SSD. Even if I add music and photos at a steady rate, I won't fill up this SSD.

If you take a new machine and add iLife and iWork apps you will be using about 20GB, leaving a bit under 100GB for personal storage.

So bottom line, it depends on how much personal data you plan to store on the computer.

gman901

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2007
Houston, TX
It's working great for me. I have Win 7 for my gaming needs with a bunch of Steam games and I have 65 GB free on the OSX side using iCloud and iTunes Match.

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
I'm just trying to save money by cutting corners and I know ill eventually regret it.

256 it is.

Now someone change my Apple ID password after I order so I can't cancel it lol

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Wow this gets better. Finally make the order....payment failed. Get a text from my bank for possible fraudulent activity haha. Called them and got the order sorted out. I guess I deserve it. Can't wait for my MBA! Thanks everyone

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
I regretted it when I stuck windows on a second partition and promptly ran out of space on both sides within about 20 minutes. :D It was amusing, watching the microcontroller dev kit I wanted to use eat up all of my disk space!

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
I created a separate thread with a poll of 128gb vs 256gb, it has good info to help people still deciding. I decided to go with the 128gb and totally no regrets. Really glad I saved the $200 so I can use it to by the next iPhone. Plus, from a storage perspective I always have an external hard drive available at home. Btw the 128gb comes with 104gb of free space

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I'm just trying to save money by cutting corners and I know ill eventually regret it.

256 it is.

Now someone change my Apple ID password after I order so I can't cancel it lol

But you'll have more space, look at it that way. In the long run you'll be glad you have that 256GB. But if you really are that price-conscious, then stick with the 128GB. You can't have it for free. I would think the extra storage space permanently would outweigh the $200, but that's just me.

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Yup you're right.

In a few months time I'm going to wish I could go back and pay the extra $200. It's already ordered (13/i5/8/256) and I'm counting down the days to delivery!

Woyzeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
I regret to have chosen the 256GB. My Mini is my main computer and I expected there to be some sync mechanism between both computers, but it seems that iCloud is more or less useless for me. So I'll end up with either manually syncing my files or using Dropbox for that. Anyway, I'll have to duplicate everything on both machines ;-(

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
If u plan on running windows and or it's your primary computer than get the 256gb model.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
If its your one and only computer 256 is a smart choice. I have 256 on my rMBP and only have used 70GB after a year but it's also not my main computer. I don't store music or photos on this machine and heavily use dropbox. I do a lot of PS and video editing, but I don't use the machine to archive the final product, the raw file, or any of the support files.

AppleMacNerd

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2013
United Kingdom
I have 128GB in my 2011 MBA which is a secondary computer, have my windows 7 custom gaming computer as my primary.

Although it would still be fine for my primary computer to have only a small amount of 128GB.
As I have a server in my house which has 5TB of space which stores all movies, photos, music, documents etc..
So the computers only store the OS & Programs & maybe a few essential documents :)

Lets hope the server never f**ks up, should be good multiple drives in there and multiple backup drives in there! 2/5 drives in there are backup haha storing the same data as each other. Very small chance of the primary drive, and a backup drive failing but if it does i've got a third on backup! :D

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
I regret it slightly. I thought 128gb would be fine since most of my files are on a 1tb external drive. What I didn't consider was that just apps alone are taking up almost 100% of my SSD right now. With bootcamp installed along side OSX I have few extra gigabytes to play with for programs and downloads.

That said, I couldn't afford to upgrade to 256gb at the time so I didn't really have a choice.

trife

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2012
Late reply, but you sound exactly like me. After a few weeks of going back and forth between 128 and 256, I settled on the former.

It arrived on Wednesday and I returned it today at my local Apple Store. Got the return put on a gift card and promptly used one of their rMBPs to place a new order for the 13/i5/8/256.

After one day of loading up some music and apps, I realized I dun goof'd. And my reasoning for getting the 128? To save money.

Moral of the story: spend a little bit more money up front to get what you really want instead of settling in an attempt to save money. Every single time I've done this with tech items, I've regretted it.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
I have the 128 for the same reason, couldn't justify spending more. It's sufficient for me bc I have reached the point where basically everything I need is on my drive now and I have about 42 GB left. If I uninstall the two Steam games I have installed (which I rarely play but am too lazy to uninstall) I would gain back like 20 GB. So space isn't an issue

However, I also don't binge on music and movies. I only have about 13 GB of music and delete TV shows/movies once I am done with them. If I had a bigger hard drive I wouldn't bother to do that

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
I'll weigh in my thoughts as I had a 2011 and 2012 MacBook Air with 128GB. It's doable but if you can keep all your video files on an external hard drive and not require it all the time, then it's a definite yes.

iTunes Match is such a good service for music (there are cheap alternatives but I like using it native to iOS too) and saves a lot of space.

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
I'm wishing I had the 256GB one, but I think I kicked myself more for getting a model with 4GB of Ram. Maybe when it's cheap enough I'll just buy a motherboard with 8GB ram and swap the 2 out in a few years - if I don't have a new machine! :rolleyes:

PraisiX-windows

macrumors regular
May 19, 2011
I regret it slightly. I thought 128gb would be fine since most of my files are on a 1tb external drive. What I didn't consider was that just apps alone are taking up almost 100% of my SSD right now. With bootcamp installed along side OSX I have few extra gigabytes to play with for programs and downloads.

That said, I couldn't afford to upgrade to 256gb at the time so I didn't really have a choice.

Clean up, and you should have no problem - that's the thing, when you don't have got that much space, you have to be "wise" about what you store and what you let go - some might find that a hassle, but it's really not that bad, and once you do you'll easily be able to make do with 128 gb as your main machine - at least I am.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.