Anyone remember the Laser Disc player?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Dont Hurt Me, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Doing some spring cleaning today and found my old Pioneer CLD 980 Laser disc player. Anyone remember these things? Laser discs the size of a 33 and 1/3 and you have to flip em half way through the movie. They use to be state of the art:D Anyways I just thought it was nostalgic, not sure though what to do with it nor with my half a dozen or so old movies:(

2. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

I think the science department at my HS still own and use one.

3. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

My dad had one of these. It was because of laserdisc that I saw Fargo and Brazil when I was younger.

My science department at my old HS still had and used one as well.

4. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

You can always go to the nearest university's film/media studies department and see if they have a use for it and the movies. Some of them still use laserdiscs, so a donation of a player and some discs might be appreciated.

5. diehldun macrumors 6502a

We still have those, with all the discs too! Amazingly, it works perfectly fine today.

In fact, my mom wants to watch Goldfinger tonight with it. :D

6. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Feh, if you really want nostalgia, how about video discs? Like records (you know: vinyl, grooves, needle), but they played video. I actually saw a video disc player in use in real life about 15 years ago....

--Eric

7. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

I remember seeing one once, but i never knew anyone who had one.
    Maybe they'll be worth money one day...

8. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The video quality was excellent. If nobody told me that DVD was better, I probably wouldn't be able to tell much of a the difference. ;)

10. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

My grandfather had one many years ago...I remember watching Star Wars on it many many times because I wasn't allowed to touch it and had to go get him when it was time to flip the film over (right about the point when the Millenium Falcon came out of hyperspace near a meteor shower or some sort of asteroid collision that wasn't on any of the charts...).

11. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

hehe slightly different thing, but on the nostalgia logic here, my sister recently uncovered my (late) grandmother's 8-track. She also found the War of the Worlds tape we listened to on it as kids!... sigh.

12. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

I remember there was a Laserdisc video rental place right across from Blockbuster.

13. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

My middle school science teacher used to have one... same thing with my freshman year world history teacher... the kids used to throw the disks around like they were frisbees and the remotes were insanely huge :D

14. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The library idea is appreciated, trying to clear closets and what have you, here are my titles Terminator2,Superman the movie,Star Trek Man trap & Charlie X,Star Trek 6,Star Trek Menagerie,Sleeping with the enemy,Space 2001,Fievel goes west,Never ending story,Caddyshack,Memphis Belle,E.T.,Home Alone,Doc Hollywood,The Boat,:D some old goodies:) I wonder if its worth it bothering with ebay?

15. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

We had one of those. I nearly wore it out on movies like ESB, Wargames, Wrath of Kahn.

16. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

Wow, laserdisc is now nostalgia.... I am getting old. :(

17. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Wrath of Khan is for sure a great one, I also have Dances with Wolves on LD and played it many many times. I also am getting old but thought it was such a great technology vs VHS at the time, who would have thought that a complete movie could be stuck on a cd or rather dvd and then with all kinds of extra's. Pioneer Laser Disc players were the s... at the time if you know what I mean. Now its like a 8 track player.

18. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

can't remember the movie, but I remember the quote.

"They're like records, but for movies. It's a big ass compact disc"

19. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I knew a guy who owned a mom and pop, off the beaten track. He invested a considerable sum in the software (movies), because someone convinced him it was the future and everyone around would want to rent them. They did nothing but collect dust. So, he bought a couple dozen players and did a weekend special, where you got 4-5 movies and the player. He had instructions on how to set it up. He was actually able to break even on the deal. Sometime later, a salesman showed up and tried to convince him to go into the VCR rental business. He was lucky to escape with just a couple bruises.

20. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I remember watching a series called 'the voyage of the Mimi" or something like that in grade school on laserdisk. My only real experience with it.

21. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

Science department at my school still uses them also. I thought they were cool looking!