Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
My Dreamhost account expires in a month, and I'd like to renew. When I first signed up I used a coupon (777 I believe) to get a rather good deal. Is there any way to use a coupon on the renewal process?

I'd rather not go through the hassle of switching hosts unless I have to.

skoker

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2005
Phatpat said:
My Dreamhost account expires in a month, and I'd like to renew. When I first signed up I used a coupon (777 I believe) to get a rather good deal. Is there any way to use a coupon on the renewal process?

I'd rather not go through the hassle of switching hosts unless I have to.

I'm up at the end of July. I'm already moving to my new (dedicated!) server and canceling Dreamhost. I'm sick of their downtime issues.

I used that same coupon.

EDIT: Google Search reveals this though: http://www.modder.org/dreamhost-promo-code/

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Ummm... what leads you to believe that Dreamhost would take anything less than full price for renewals? They already got you hooked with the initial coupon offer last year - now is their opportunity to make money, once you've established a site and its inconvenient to move...

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
My Dreamhost sites seem to go down several times a day. I've been overall dissapointed in their uptime. Their support is really nice though. I don't think you'll be able to use the same coupon again.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
I've had three sites on Dreamhost for about a year and have never noticed any down time. I still have another year left so I'll be renewing at that point.

arf

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2004
UK
CanadaRAM said:
Ummm... what leads you to believe that Dreamhost would take anything less than full price for renewals? They already got you hooked with the initial coupon offer last year - now is their opportunity to make money, once you've established a site and its inconvenient to move...

Absolutely, I recently was contacted by Dreamhost admin, my account was coming up to a year old (registered with 777 code too) and I was asked to pay monthly something ike $20 a month PLUS the sign-up fee of $50. No thanks dreamhost, I'm off to ASO hosting.....!

theappleguy

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2005
How many of you actually use more than 5% of the capacity they supposedly allocate you? I'm always surprised by the number of people that tell me that they hardly use anything at all, yet put up with downtime because they think they are getting a better deal in terms of two figures on a page and don't look at the whole picture. :rolleyes:

NoNameBrand

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2005
Halifax, Canada
I have had very few problems with them as a web host. Even with shell access though, using them as a development server is untenable, too many random slowdowns when SSH'd in.

I host my site and the websites of a dozen friends with my one Dreamhost account, which costs me ~$10 CDN a month.

I will probably renew in another 8 months when it comes up again.

"How many of you actually use more than 5% of the capacity they supposedly allocate you?"

I'm using over 5% of both, thanks to hosting a bunch of sites. As for "supposedly", you really can use all of that. They count on not everyone doing so (which is how they make money and can afford to charge as little as they do). If everyone used all their disk space and bandwidth, the rates would go up.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I use them. I never touch the bandwidth limits (who does?) but I use the disk space as offline backup (currently using ~60GB) and it's nice to never worry about bandwidth.

If I were hosting a commercial site I'd never use them - too many downtime issues - but they work well for me and my needs. I pay $16/month, have 75GB to use for disk and 2 terabytes for bandwidth.

Is it the best plan? No. Will I switch later on? Maybe. Am I worried about using them now? No.

skoker

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2005
jsw said:
I use them. I never touch the bandwidth limits (who does?) but I use the disk space as offline backup (currently using ~60GB) and it's nice to never worry about bandwidth.

If I were hosting a commercial site I'd never use them - too many downtime issues - but they work well for me and my needs. I pay $16/month, have 75GB to use for disk and 2 terabytes for bandwidth.

Is it the best plan? No. Will I switch later on? Maybe. Am I worried about using them now? No.

See, that's what kills me too. Remember the whole AppleKeynotes.com thing? That was on a DH server and the threatened to shut down the account (IIRC) for using too many 'CPU minutes.

Malfoy said:
Who's ur dedicated server with?

Send me a PM and I'll tell you.

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
skoker said:
See, that's what kills me too. Remember the whole AppleKeynotes.com thing? That was on a DH server and the threatened to shut down the account (IIRC) for using too many 'CPU minutes.

Send me a PM and I'll tell you.

Wrong. Learn your facts, anyways Smoker is hosted through "American Company" :rolleyes: DirectSpace.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.