Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sigomez

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
Houston, TX
Really considering returning my space black stainless steel for a stainless steel, wanted to see if anyone out there did something similar....any regrets afterwards?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
not personally, but I understand the logic. There is way more versatility with the regular SS.

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
The problem with the black is, once it is inevitably is scratched, you're going to live with an ugly scratch. The SS can easily be re-polished, if desired, and the link bracelet is particularly easy to restore to as-new condition.

The black is beautiful out of the box- potentially, not so much a few weeks later.

Reactions: Kitkat52

Enygmatic

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2015
Various
The problem with the black is, once it is inevitably is scratched, you're going to live with an ugly scratch. The SS can easily be re-polished, if desired, and the link bracelet is particularly easy to restore to as-new condition.

The black is beautiful out of the box- potentially, not so much a few weeks later.
That's a question of durability then. I've had mine for months of active use without a single scratch, and I've hit it on just about everything; it's a coating, though, so there's little doubt that the standard SS may inevitably last longer in a pristine state.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Really considering returning my space black stainless steel for a stainless steel, wanted to see if anyone out there did something similar....any regrets afterwards?

I did because the haptic tapper failed and it would take way too long to have got another SB 42mm.

In the end I am glad a I love my 42SS with the leather loop. The SB link band was nice but not near as comfortable as the leather loop plus the loop's size adjusts in seconds where the link band did not. To get the HR sensor to work during exercise the watch needs to be tight and that was not so easy with the link band.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA

Nonsense. Mine is as pristine as the day I got it. I would never trade it for a regular SS.

Mojopin

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2011
many have, many threads on this just search around, many with great points weighing mostly pros and a few cons if any.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Agreed with everyone that the SS matches many more bands. Except gold. If you want a gold bracelet you probably are best keeping the black as gold looks terrible with SS.

It also depends on the budget. You can buy the basic SS and get knockoff bands of each available band including the Milanese loop, bracelet, and black bracelet for around the same price as just the black watch.

Enygmatic

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2015
Various
The one thing I would've done differently (if I were Apple) is offer each of the Watch bands with Space Black lugs and clasps, and have the Space Black Watch be more customizable at purchase. The price bump could remain the same for the Link Bracelet and Milanese ($100), and maybe $50 or so for the rest. Or whatever... haven't really thought it through. It does suck that there aren't many options through Apple for the Space Black customers. I expect that to change, though. Apple has to see that they are leaving a good amount of money on the table by not being more flexible in this area. We're not talking iPhone cases here; these are huge margins.

BSG75

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2015
Tennessee
The SB is beautiful, but I can see the universal appeal of the SS. It is more versatile when it comes to bands. I have the SGS sport, and like the SB, I feel that the band selection is limited. I'm not sure why Apple officially "limited" both the SB and SGS to black band configurations.

Knowing what I know now about the Watch, I would have sprung for the SS. Since it was 1st gen, I went with the cheaper model.

Reactions: nicho

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I'm not sure why Apple officially "limited" both the SB and SGS to black band configurations.

Perhaps they wanted to make them sort of a limited edition (in limited quantity) in order to "road test" the DLC coating on SB and the darker SG anodized coating before expanding the lines. They've had problems with defective coatings on 1st generation iDevices (especially a subset of Black and Slate iPhone 5 units that rubbed off just from wiping), and sure enough, we've already seen a few examples of Space Black Watches with defective DLC coating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.