Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
I just got one after going to the store day after day for two weeks for my wife and now she hears this news of the new mini 2 launch coming in march and she wants me to go return it. Anyone else having the same thoughts? I guess we could play with it for 14 days and take it back.

She says she would rather have retina on it so it's a no Brainer for her.

Yes, I am returning every Apple product I have bought in the last 6 months and waiting for the next models. Even though I use them every day, I just can't stand not having the latest and greatest. :rolleyes:

Guess what, before your wife receives her Mini2, there will be rumors of a Mini3, then what are you going to do, return your Mini2 and wait for a Mini3?

There are only rumors the Mini2 will have a Retina screen. What if it doesn't?

I'd be embarrassed to start a thread like this. Since there are so many of them, many other people are not.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Just keep it

If a newer one comes out in march sell the one you have

We will probably know a few days before the event or even weeks if there will be a new mini

So you'll have plenty of time to sell it before the announcement

Agreed. Right now it is just pure speculation that Apple does an update to the iPads in March.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
I just got one after going to the store day after day for two weeks for my wife and now she hears this news of the new mini 2 launch coming in march and she wants me to go return it. Anyone else having the same thoughts? I guess we could play with it for 14 days and take it back.

She says she would rather have retina on it so it's a no Brainer for her.

There's a possibility you'll have to wait longer: Apple could just as well settle for an October (or September) release.

If you are willing to spend at least 2.5 to 3 months without iPad mini AND if you are willing to risk a new iPad mini might only come out this fall, than return it.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
Yes, I am returning every Apple product I have bought in the last 6 months and waiting for the next models. Even though I use them every day, I just can't stand not having the latest and greatest. :rolleyes:

Guess what, before your wife receives her Mini2, there will be rumors of a Mini3, then what are you going to do, return your Mini2 and wait for a Mini3?

There are only rumors the Mini2 will have a Retina screen. What if it doesn't?

I'd be embarrassed to start a thread like this. Since there are so many of them, many other people are not.

Nice reasoning except that the mini has been based on 2 year old hardware that was outdated to begin with. Furthermore it doesn't have a retina display which is an absolute must have feature.

You're reasoning is legit though if the mini had been released with a retina display. People that have the ipad mini now are basically forced to upgrade anyway.

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
IMO- If we see anything new in march it will be the slimmer full size ipad 5.
The mini will get retina in the fall with a price increase.
The old mini will continue to offered at current price and replace the iPad 2.
Ipad 2 goes away.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
Threads like this make no sense to me.

If you can buy a Mini now, why not? The 2nd one is still 3-4 months away. If its such a big upgrade (which I doubt it), then just sell and rebuy. Why would anyone wait 3 months.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
IMO- If we see anything new in march it will be the slimmer full size ipad 5.

If the iPad 5 gets a slimmer chassis, like the mini, I think it'll be a gorgeous device, so big and thin (if they can do it). I've got a mini and holding a device this thin is a wonderful experience, making the full sized iPad like this would definitely (in my opinion) be a great step for the device.

But I don't think we'll be seeing it in March - it's too soon (you also sound a bit sceptical or hesitant about a March release). There should be leaked photos of the new case by now and other details of the physical aspects of it. In 4 days we'll be 1/2 finished with Jan, which means March is just 1-1/2 months away and for the last two years the iPad has been announced in the first week of March (and the month prior to announce was speculation about the announce date, not so much about details of the device because everybody pretty much knew all the details by then).

Also, for any big launch and big product upgrade, they stockpile units for weeks or months so they will have enough on day 1 of availability, which means more people touching the product, which means more people know, which means more leak points, which would lead to at least one leak by now. I think March is too soon.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
Keep watching for rumours on the next Apple event date. Hold on to your iPad Mini until then and sell it just before or on the day or the event announcement, or during the week leading up to the event itself for full resale value.

Darn.

I really wanted to buy an iPad 4 this morning.

Then I saw this rumor.

How many people think its not legit???

I guess I can sell it on Craigslist but isn't the market more saturated these days and hard to sell?

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
Darn.

Then I saw this rumor.

I guess I can sell it on Craigslist but isn't the market more saturated these days and hard to sell?

The iPad and iPad Mini that will be available next Fall will be even better than the models that might be available in the Spring. Delay your purchase for at least 1 year.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
The iPad and iPad Mini that will be available next Fall will be even better than the models that might be available in the Spring. Delay your purchase for at least 1 year.

The buyers guide DOES say buy now...

These decisions are always impossible to solve with much certainty.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
Darn.

Then I saw this rumor.

why would that stop you? with the 4 you will have the best ipad to date by far. if the 5 come out in fall, so what..you will still have the second best ipad by far...:D. or you can sell your 4 and buy the new one if you feel the need. why not get the new one and enjoy it, as nothing posted here is fact.. I plan on keeping my 4 for a long time as every other ipad currently made will be dropped by apple before the 4 is . it has much more power under the hood than any other ipad out there...

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
I agree. That is why it is best to solicit the opinions of strangers on the Internet. Their guesses about what Apple will do are usually very accurate.

Yeah. I guess I will just hop on the Merry Go Round now and hope for the best.

why would that stop you? with the 4 you will have the best ipad to date by far. if the 5 come out in fall, so what..you will still have the second best ipad by far...:D. or you can sell your 4 and buy the new one if you feel the need. why not get the new one and enjoy it, as nothing posted here is fact.. I plan on keeping my 4 for a long time as every other ipad currently made will be dropped by apple before the 4 is . it has much more power under the hood than any other ipad out there...

The main thing I'm worried about despite there not being many leaked parts is that the 4 was a ghost upgrade for the holidays which barely counts and its very realistic that the real generational 5 upgrade is potentially march.

If it happens I will be bothered with having to sell the iPad 4 and I think I will lose at least 200$ because the Apple market isn't like what it used to be in the glory era where you buy for 600$ and sell for 560$.

RichP74

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
Hilarious. Meanwhile, the lady I sold our ancient iPad 1 to is thrilled with the device, and uses it for hours every day. Perspective, guys.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
If you can get rid of it and wait until March on the off chance another one might be released, then I'd say you don't really need an iPad at all!

Kadin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
I got my Mini back one week ago yesterday and there's no way I'm returning it. If a refresh worth buying does come out in March, well my mom is getting a nice gift from her son.

Honestly I have no reason to upgrade. Retina is nice, clearly. But I see no reason to having to get it. Speed bump and increase in RAM would interest me though.

susa

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2009
Canada
Darn.

Then I saw this rumor.

Re the market. Wouldn't worry about that too much. Tons of people have non-Apple tablets, who made every excuse imaginable to put down Apple, but deep in their hearts imho they yearn to trade their pieces of plastic for an Apple tablet.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
My buy strategy depends on what features i value. Current ipad is too heavy, so i have held out since ipad1 waiting for a lighter ipad. For mini, retina not critical, so i bought it. I think its worth holding out for the feature you value.

washburn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
?? Very used to what and heavily rely on what?...

the design change your talking about, making the original iPad slimmer like the iPad mini will put off a lot of people because people rely on the wider bezel etc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.