Anyone running Jaguar?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Draft, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Draft macrumors 6502

Is anyone here running 10.2? I heard that there were some early development seeds floating around, and I was wondering if anyone got their hands on it?

Later,
    Draft

2. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

I have it

I have it and I installed it on a spare partition that I have. I havent really played with it yet too much. Been too busy. I found a more recent verson of it the other night... so I might just install that.

If you do install it, you must put it on a spare mac or on a partition other than your normal boot drive. You cant upgrade from the dev seed to the finnal version of it meaning you have to wipe your drive clean when 10.2 comes out. Unless you dont mind doing that, I would only use it on a drive you an afford to blow.

-evildead

3. Draft thread starter macrumors 6502

What seed of 10.2 are you running? How much faster is it then 10.1.5?

Draft

4. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

it's no good to compare Jaguar for speed. is it? i thought it was still in a sort of beta version. wouldn't it still be too buggy for serious comparison?

5. big macrumors 65816

big

the newest version is a 2 disk isn't it? that's bound to possibly change, and if it doesn't I'm sure it will be 20-40 bucks

it will be such a major upgrade I'd be afraid of running any beta that's out now, when I ran 10.1.5 I had no qualms because it was fairly minor.

I'm betting it will be the difference between 8.5 & 9.x oh! my baby is 1 week old today! woohooo!

6. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

i just got the latest seed and in fact it does have two discs...

not too many improvements, however, over the last seed -- sherlock is still very buggy and several fairly important features arent implemented yet..

jaguar is currently a LOT faster than 10.1.5, and i dont even have the right props to take advantage of it (im runnin it on my pbg4 without a great video card..)

the main reason that 10-2 is a lot faster is cause it takes ALL of the graphics processing off the main CPU and onto the GPU (the graphics processing unit)..

7. billiam0878 macrumors 6502

Jaguar (6C35)

I'm running Jaguar (Build 6C35) on a spare partition, but I haven't had that much time to play with it thus far. I will tell you this, even on a PBG4 500MHz (with 8MB ATI) 2D operations are much snappier.

Bill

8. Draft thread starter macrumors 6502

Sweet! I can't wait for them to release it.

Draft

9. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

I've got to WWDC beta on one of my drives... super fast compared to 10.1.5. All round sweet.

Heh... and I'm now one of those people with "a source" :) Lets see how good my source's first prediction is...

Jaguar will be a paid upgrade to 10.5 and will be announced at MWNY.

Yeah... big, I know ;) but if they're right about this, they might be right about stuff in the future...

10. swahilibill macrumors 6502

Hi

I just finished dl the 6C48 beta, and how do I install it. I here you burn it to a CD, but do I burn the DMG, to the CD or whatever, help would be appreciated. Thanks

11. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I never use jaguar, its not good
    but its worth a look

12. McFreggle macrumors 6502

McFreggle

It still is very buggy, but the speed is allready *rocking* allright! :D

Seriously... it really goes very well on my old iMac 400. OS X 10.1 really was very, very slow on that machine, but Jaguar runs very well... I don't install it on my iBook because I can't afford to blow that one up, but as soon as Jaguar is there, I'll get it.

Even though I had some negative remarks :D
    (older thread)

k.

13. rugby macrumors regular

Re: Hi

Open Disk copy on OS X and click on Image->Burn Image

14. swahilibill macrumors 6502

15. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

I disagree. What makes you say this? I'm running the 6c48 build and I think it's better in almost every respect from 10.1.x I have had no more problems in the stability area than 10.1.x. The only problem is compatibility with some apps that haven't been tested on it, but the majority work.

IMO this is the first serious build of OS X. Before 10.2, X was in it's infancy and it showed. Needless to say, I'm very happy with it. :)

16. big macrumors 65816

big

can you run it on a 6200 machine?

17. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

I don't think this will ever be supported. The macs that have been made to work that aren't officially supported by Apple are machines that are based off the PCI archictecture. The Beige G3 is OS X's only link to so-called Old World Machines, as the beige G3 is more of an OW machine than it is a NW. So as long as Apple keeps developing for the Beige G3, than Ryan Rempel can continue to support machines that are close to it's archtecture. Anything that isn't PCI based would require too much work to support.

The 6200 does not have a PCI bus, and is more a Performa than it is a Power Mac. Besides even if it would install, you'd be running X off a 37.5 Mhz bus which would be less than operable for anything other than a server.

18. big macrumors 65816

big

exactly...As a unix server it would be fine (or mediocre) however, it would still get the job done. I know there is a unix version somewhere out there for these older macs, I just can't remember the name or where to get it...still looking

19. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

There's mklinux, but that says it doesn't support the 6200 series...

A quick Unix search found this site which claims:

TThey seem to specialize in Linux for older nubus/performa based PPC's.

20. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I have had a pre-wwdc02 version but I lost it with a bunch of CD that got kind of damaged.

A friend who went to the states posted me the 2 CDs he got from WWDC, i should have it installed by friday, can't wait!

Ensign

21. stromie952 macrumors regular

To anyone whom has installed 10.2 C48...

How big was the installation so that I can partition my hard drive accordingly?

Thanx for any assistance

22. swahilibill macrumors 6502

Hey

Hey strombie, don't do 6c48, it has a serious bug and it crashed my system

23. stromie952 macrumors regular

I am willing to have a crashed system because I have everything backed up. And since I am at home from school, my iBook 500 isn't my main computer.

I get to use my Dad's Quicksilver 733 with 1.5 GB of RAM instead. :D

But if anyone is willing to tell me how much space it takes that would be nice. ;)

24. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

6c48 -> 1.5 to start (default)
    It's less w/o all the languages. It's more when you add apps.
    It hasn't crashed my system and I run folding 24/7 and use it as a server.

25. stromie952 macrumors regular

Thanx for the help mc68k :)

I will be installing it tomorrow!