Anyone running out of space on their iBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by GetGo, Jul 13, 2004.

1. GetGo macrumors regular

Jan 2, 2004
    New Jersey
    I had 2.6 gig left on my hard drive. Guess I should have gotten a larger hard drive. I do have a PC desktop with 80 gig but that is down to 13 gig left. I am now getting into digital movies this will take a lot of space too. About 6 months ago I purchased an external hard drive for my desktop to backup all my digital pictures. So all my backups go on the external drive including my iBook stuff. But it's a pain pulling the desktop out unplug the firewire cable and hooking up the ibook. so I just ordered a 120 gig external hard drive for my iBook. I think I'll be okay for a while. Do you guys find that your running out of space on the 12" iBook?
  2. destroyboredom macrumors 6502

Dec 16, 2002
    Washington, DC.
    I ran into somewhat the same issue this past wknd. I sold my PC, which had 50GB in it total (a 20GB and a 30GB). I purchased an external 120GB about a month and a half ago and backed some stuff up on it. Then I was visiting my brother this wknd and used the external to transfer some MP3's to my laptop. I found out I didn't have enough free space left for everything. So I ended up backing up my itunes library on the external. Then I created a new user on my laptop named "jukebox". I set it's itunes pref, so his library is stored on the external HD, and loaded all the mp3's into the library. Then with my account I just added what I listen to regularly and left myself with 2.0GB free for other things. I guess I'll start storing Digital photo's on the external.

I also loaded my 15GB iPod with music, it only had about 5.5GB before and is now full. I paniced when I realized I only had one firewire port and two firewire devices that I needed to use at the same time. Luckily the External drive has 2 ports on it and "daisy chaining" the iPod to it worked fine. which was a relief. (not having to go out and buy a hub)
  3. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    I have upgraded the hard drive on my TiBook from 10GB to 40GB. It's an incredible pain, especially backing up/transferring all the files, but once it was done, there was a wonderful feeling of freedom -- all that space!

Personally I couldn't handle using an external HD--too much of a pain; I like to move my computer around all the time.
  4. destroyboredom macrumors 6502

Dec 16, 2002
    Washington, DC.
    I'm hoping to upgrade to a 12" Powerbook soon, and I'll get a big HD when I do. The external is kind of a pain, but it works for now.

I just need another logicboard failure at which time Apple will give me a new unit. (not in writing but that's what they said...) I'll try and convince them to give me a credit instead and upgrade, if they don't do it, I'll ebay the new unit. :)
  5. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Mar 11, 2004
    My god, what do you guys have stored on your laptops? I have a 40gig drive in my PB and I'm only using 2gigs of space :eek:
  6. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    music!!! and videos!!1

my 60 gig is full i think ull upgrade it once there are 120 gig or 180 gig laptop hard drived hehe
  7. Ilikemacs macrumors newbie

Jul 7, 2004
    The lowest I've gotten on my 30 gig iBook is 156 MB. Currently I've got about 900 MB. I do, however, suggest buying a powerbook with 80 gigs... mine comes tomorrow!
  8. letterbox macrumors regular

Apr 13, 2004
    My iBook got down to about zero MB. I was using iMovie and HD ran out of space for capturing clips :eek: .

I have an 80 in my g5, but I see that running out of space in the next 6 months as I start school. I have 54.5 left now, but I plan on purchasing a 120GB or something from, and maybe striping i don't know anythign about raid so i'll shut up, i just know i want to have all my stuff backed up.
  9. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I don't want to sound like a jerk, but I planned ahead and knew the uses and limitations of my iBook. So I haven't filled my 20GB drive yet. I have, however, filled 2 120GB drives in my PowerMac many times.

No, actually I did capture too much video on the iBook once and fill it. It completely killed my keychain and preferences too.
  10. JFreak macrumors 68040

Jul 11, 2003
    Tampere, Finland
    you will always run out of hard drive space, eventually. laws of physics ;) seriously, anyone who does video editing (or wants to store dozens of movies) should get an external firewire drive for that purpose. video editing on system drive is just plain stupid.

that said, i ordered my albook with a 7200rpm 60GB hard drive and that's a very good backup when i don't have that external drive at hand and really have to do some work. partitioned for performance, leaving system on its own partition, i don't even have to worry about defragmentation anymore. if my /Users partition becomes too slow, i just copy it to the external and back ;) system will live happily ever after when nothing touches the system partition but the system itself.

(if anyone is interested, yes, you can mount another partition to any directory whatsoever. the config file controlling this is /etc/fstab which has to be edited with root account and i'd suggest you do this only if you don't mind the possibility of having to fix typos in single-user command-line mode. i have found it best to have a 15GB system partition followed by 25GB users partition, leaving rest (about 15GB too) for storage partition (mounted to /Users/Shared) where i have my itunes library. the reason for this: hard drive is faster on the beginning because of the laws of physics. by doing this kind of partitioning, i'm forcing system to stay in the fastest area and also forcing music library to stay in the slowest area. this will also reduce seek times greatly. and, should i wipe the system clean, i wouldn't have to worry about user data at all - just install the system and modify the /etc/fstab file again...)
  11. caveman_uk Guest

Feb 17, 2003
    Hitchin, Herts, UK
    I my ibook was my only machine I would've run out of space ages ago. Fortunately my Powermac has lot's of space ;) When I move all-mobile and get a powerbook rest assured it will have a huge hard drive.
  12. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sep 18, 2003
    It's not an iBook but I am fast running out on my 12" PB, I only have a 40Gb as I bought it cheap as a refurb otherwise it would have had the biggest drive I could get. Even my old iBook had 40Gb, funny how they reduced the size (although not for those of you running out) when going to G4.
  13. Diatribe macrumors 601

Jan 8, 2004
    Back in the motherland
    I too had it filled up almost completely when I switched to a pb. Now I have 20GB more of which 5 are all ready used up again. I do have a 250GB Lacie drive sitting at home though. Without which I'd be lost.
  14. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Mar 11, 2004
    Just a note here about filling up your hard drive to the brim. Doing this is NOT recommended for a number of reasons. First, without any free hard drive space your machine, PC or Mac, won't have any space to swap virtual memory in / out. This can cause all sorts of weird problems like slowdowns and program crashes. Second, the performance of most hard drives decreases as it fills up. Its not terrible, but it does decrease.
  15. matthewr macrumors member

Jun 17, 2004
    Another reason not to fill HD

On more than one occassion, I have come close to filling my HD (within a 100-200 MB) while downloading files to iPhoto. When this happens, iPhoto either doesn't save the most recent import, or even worse, begins haphazardly deleting other pictures in my iPhoto library.

Has anyone else experienced this?
  16. 18thTomorrow macrumors 6502

Apr 5, 2004
    The Alpha Quadrant
    These stories make me soooo glad I selected the 60GB HD for my iBook....(shipped yesterday, ETA July 19!!) Plus i have a 40 and a 5 GB in my desktop G3....and 15 on the iPod...(ETA tomorrow by 10:23 AM! woot!) hopefully I have enough space.