Anyone see EGM's Jack Tretton (Sony) interview?

Discussion in 'Games' started by GFLPraxis, Feb 10, 2007.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Okay, the pro-Sony crowd is going to bash the heck out of me for this, but here goes.

You guys may remember that I was one of the top PS3 supporters last year, early 2006. I intended to buy a Wii and eventually a PS3, kept talking about how awesome PS3 Linux would be, was looking forward to some PS3 games, etc, and the XBox 360 was going to fail.

Then E3 2006 happened and Sony did their absolute best to make themselves look as bad as possible in the months that followed. The most irritating parts were interviews with arrogant Sony representatives who would say things like "we could sell a million PS3's even without any games at launch" and "people will work extra hours to buy one".

Well, it keeps coming. The latest issue of EGM has an interview with SCEA's new president and CEO, Jack Tretton. I can't tell if he's being genuinely arrogant or if I should feel sorry for him that it's his job to have to defend Sony's mistakes, but some of the comments are ridiculous.

Some quotes:

STOP BACKPEDDLING! One second, "we're doing good because not one store has had a PS3 for more than five minutes", then the next, "half the stores being sold out means we're doing well, right?"

He goes on to claim that if people can sell them on eBay for $2500 then the system must be doing well.

Then he says newspapers are just blasting them because they're the leader.

He says "I don't know why you would say our launch is lacking" and proclaims that Sony is very proud of the launch lineup.

He says Playstation Network will evolve (good thing).

When asked why it's worth $600, he says that its an investment and because the PS1 lasted ten years in production the PS3 probably will too. Then he says its the best gaming experience of any platform that's ever shipped day one, because it has Blu-ray and can surf the internet and download pictures and rip music and play videos and play online.

+ talk about how the Playstation brand means it will be supported for 10 years.

When asked what happened to the plans to hook up two HDTV's to the PS3, he said he didn't recall the statement (made onstage at E3 2005).

When asked about the lack of rumble even though Immersion said it was possible, he said that he doesn't think it's compelling.

When asked why MotorStorm doesn't look like the original E3 2005 demo, he says,
    O RLY? Wasn't that the video that had wipers taking the mud off car windows and cars realistically wrapping around trees?

When asked how he views the XBox 360 as a competitor, he says he thinks they beat Microsoft in every way ("better machine", "better business model", "we're going to win"), and ends with "what concerns me is if the XBox 360 is being rejected, are the consumers on board with technology and is there enough demand there?"

There's some talk about short and long term goals, Blu-ray, etc, but the real gem is UMD.

When asked about the high cost of making games on the system, and how to nurture innovation, his response is
    and says for people who don't have the money to go develop for PS2 or PSP.

I'd be rich. My local Best Buy has a dozen, CompUSA has three...

In summary, typical Sony arrogance...blame the consumer, blame the movie studios, blame everyone else.

Sony needs new PR people.
  2. BoyBach macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2006

Where do you start?

He's said some really stupid things and contradicted himself repeatedly. What a tool.

3. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    Wonderful... although somehow not surprised. I think they've moved away from nabbing their feet with mere shotguns and are now off to get an RPG or two...
  4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    Well the Sony top dogs have been digging and digging since PS1...shouldn't be of any surprise the new guy would get pushed into the ring.

I would like my $1,200 bucks dude..

5. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Rocket-jump to victory!
  6. darkwing macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2004
    That guy sounds like an idiot, and I'm in the pro-sony camp. :rolleyes:
  7. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

Nov 17, 2003
    Daytona Beach
    wow just wow... This guy has a chance to bring sony some good PR and he blames every thing on the consumer not wanting to buy it... jeeze I wonder why?
  8. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
    That guy is an arrogant pr*ck. Perfect for a job marketing for Sony then :D

Seriously I've said it all along. A company suffers when they become utterly complacent and think (nay are certain) they know what the consumer wants better than the consumer.

Sony need a kick up the bum in order to get there act together otherwise there beloved 'brand image' is going to count for nothing in a few years time.
  9. wako macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005
    I just read the article yesterday, and I must say this Jack Tretton guy is sure good at dodging questions. If you read the article you can clearly see, many of his answers are just dodging the real answers. But this is something you should expect from a CEO.

In my opinion, although this guy sure does practice pure arrogance, I still prefer hearing from Jack Tretton than Reggie Fils-Aime from Nintendo.
  10. echeck macrumors 68000

Apr 20, 2004
    Boise, Idaho
    I saw this last night on Engadget, and right after I went to Costco to grab a copy of TurboTax. Right inside the entrance, next to the HD TVs there were 18 PS3's sitting there. And we were there for about 20 minutes, so that definitely beats the five minute mark.

So, I'm expecting a $21,600 check soon. w00t!

EDIT: Loved the cartoon, by the way. :)
  11. darkwing macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2004
    Hopefully you'll get a nice tax return and can afford a real console. ;)

This whole thing reeks of the government who thinks they know how to spend your money better than you do.
  12. SamIchi macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2004
    Heh, I like that cartoon. That guy is a total retard.
  13. echeck macrumors 68000

Apr 20, 2004
    Boise, Idaho
    As a matter of fact, I did get a nice return! But I won't be wasting my money on another console. I'm thinking more of stopping by the Gateway when we're in SLC next month visiting family. We'll see if the wife will let me play a little. ;)

You mean they don't?? :confused: :eek:
  14. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

Jul 10, 2005
    Rocketing through the sky!
    He is a pretty lame PR man thats for sure.. oh well

I do find it funny that people still complain about Sony PR people though, they have been bad for a long while now...
  15. e²Studios macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
    eh.. he is no worse than any other company exec. M$ has said/done some pretty stupid things too, along with Apple and any other large corporation. It's just the fact that most the people on this forum tend to bash Sony for any little thing.

Praxis, when you quote people don't just quote what you want to quote and cut someone off mid-statment like you did with the first quote, and every other quote in your post, quote the whole answer, even if it doesn't meet up to your ultimate agenda. I'll admit he came across arrogant, but its business, do you expect him to come out and say he is afraid of the competition or that a large business risk may or may not pay off in the long term? Get real, either you and a lot of people in these forums know nothing about business or you are just too arrogant yourselves about MS and Nintendo.

As for the $1200 even EGM put an edit that said when the interview was, at THAT TIME you couldn't find one on the shelves, don't put words in peoples mouths that they didn't intend. Even EGM wouldn't do what you have done in this post, thats probably because they realize its illegal and they don't want to get sued. Not to mention that it would lower their credibility *cough*

The article if read in a whole is not bad, in fact its quite predictable of what any large corporate CEO would say. However when a speech is edited to spin the words to someone else's agenda and in this case use the CEO of Sony's own words to slander Sony or any other company like Praxis has done I suppose anything can look doom and gloom. Pretty pathetic Praxis..

16. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

Jan 27, 2004
    Okay, great. WHO CARES?! EVERY freakin' CEO has to be arrogant. C'mon, it's business. What do you expect? They're just as bad as MS or Nintendo with their arrogance.

Stop whining about which is better and which is worse. Can't everyone just get along and just enjoy what they've got? :p
  17. darkwing macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2004
    Swing on by and check out the PS3 on a 60" 1080p tv! ;)

And no the government doesn't know that! :p
  18. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    I wasn't copying and pasting, I WAS RETYPING THE ARTICLE BY HAND. I'm only going to write the relevant parts to my point, because I don't intend to retype the article, and I'll paraphrase the rest. I did nothing to change the overall meaning.

I found PS3's on the shelf in the first week of January; EGM said the interview took place in the first week of January, and they said they called up 18 stores and 9 of them had PS3's in stock at that time. You just said that at that time you couldn't find one on the shelf, which contradicts what EGM said in the interview. Did you bother reading the article?

Pathetic? Did you read your own response?

I didn't spin anything. I cut off extraneous stuff to save myself some typing because my hand was cramping.

Are you on Sony's payroll or something? You're clearly defending this arrogant guy in any way possible. I'd shake my head if Nintendo said "the Virtual Boy didn't sell because the public didn't understand our vision!" or something like that. Same thing if Microsoft made some stupidly arrogant comment.
  19. e²Studios macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
    Likely excuse.. *owwie Mr. Fils-Aime my fingers hurt*... "Keep typing FUD!" *whip crack*

I'm no more on Sony's payroll than most the people in this forum are on Apple's, MS's, or Nintendo's.

The constant bashing, spinning of words, and ignorance are why this particular forum on MR loses great contributors.

And yes, it is a pathetic excuse, and really pathetic attempt at bashing Sony, congrats. *claps*

20. michaelltd macrumors regular

Mar 30, 2005
    Wow, that's pretty bad.

I believe though that Sony's arrogant attitude will be put in its place soon, probably by PS4. Hopefully by then, they'll get back on track without the issues and horridly arrogant attitude.

By the way, sounds to me that Ed H needs to chill.
  21. gco212 macrumors 6502

Jul 21, 2004
    I honestly don't care about the comments made by Sony, but you can't even admit that you were wrong. In the article, it talks about the fact that there were PS3's available at the time. That wasn't Praxis making stuff up, that was in the article. Are you sure you're not trying make things up to fit your own agenda? ;)
  22. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    You know, Ed, I'd write a response, but your post speaks for itself.

Relax, bud.
  23. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    Out of all those features, only one actually has anything to do with games. Unless, of course, they manage to find a way to outgrow a DVD in the next few months *cough*FMV*cough*
    You should be. You could be their next CEO!
  24. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I guess Phil Harrison knows nothing about business 'cause his answers and attitude during a 40min Q&A (and later interview) at DICE are in a bit different tone than Mr. Tretton's.

Link to a brief overview of the Q&A. got a chance to interview Mr. Harrison as well and when asked about the Wii, IIRC, he didn't bash it or just turn then Q into a chance to plug the PS3. He was also asked about Motorstorm and although he kinda dodged the Q that's still better than saying, "hey the trailer and the game play look exactly the same" when obviously they don't.

Both the entire Q&A and interview should be up at gametrailers on Monday.

Lethal (yes I work for gametrailers)
  25. michaelltd macrumors regular

Mar 30, 2005

I'll be sure to check it out. Seems to me that Phil Harrison should be doing the talking instead of Jack Tretton.