anyone see this negative iPod article?

Discussion in 'Community' started by krossfyter, Dec 24, 2003.

1. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

sorry if this is a repost.

just want to see what the response on this from you all.

2. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

3. alphaone macrumors 6502

4. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Maybe he was referring to the other thread regarding superpowers concerning mind reading.

5. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I'm feeling, an article, online, it is coming to me, I feel the text flowing through my mind, the ESP works! I am a genius! It has come to me! The article is about iPods!

6. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

im a dumbass. my apologies. it must be the water down here! lol

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A16540-2003Dec19.html

it may ask you for your DOB and zip so you can see the article... maybe not.

again im sorry about not providing a link in the first place. i guess i was too occupied talking to people while creathing this thread that i lost track of what it is i was actually doing.

7. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I do have to admit it was kind of sleazy of apple to not repair their iPod, but I think those brothers went a little far. Isn't that vandalism; spray painting all those ads?

8. pinto32 macrumors 6502

While I dont wanna see Apple's sales slip, its probably best that people take notice of this....if no one raises a voice, then Apple may be encouraged to allow quality to slip, etc......I am just thinking of it as "tough love."

9. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

Nothing lasts forever, especially batteries. My Palm Vx battery died as did my m505 battery. I expect my Tungsten C battery to die in a year or so. I have a penlight that has a non-replaceable battery. My opthalmoscope has a non-replaceable battery. Are we going to see class action lawsuits with all of these products? What about computer displays. They don't last forever either. If your ThinkPad display isn't quite as bright in 30 years, does IBM owe you? No company should be successfully sued as a result of its consumers' idiocy or lack of foresight.

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

It's interesting to see how long it takes things to go from "geek" to "mainstream." It was about a month ago that "ipodsdirtlylittlesecret" caught fire in forums aournd the nete net. A few days after that c|net and the like reported on the story. And now, nearly a month later, I'm seeing reports of it in the mainstream press.

Lethal

11. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    i bought an iPod the day they were released over 2 years ago now. damn, 5 gigs seems pathetic these days heh. within a few weeks of messing around with it, it died, nothing, nada, wouldn't turn on, nothing...so, i took it apart, yeah it was fiddly getting the back metal case off, but not impossible, and once inside, it was easy, it's logical, i unplugged the battery within seconds, had a look around, and noticed that there was room for a HD twice as thick, which was exciting (how geeky is that?). plugged the battery back in, put it all back together, and boom, it worked fine, again. all this before there were any guides online about how to take them apart....

yeah it sucks that their iPod doesn't work, but hey, that's life, electronics die, usually a week after the one year warranty runs out, deal with it. mine broke within the one year, although the original ones really only came with a 3 month warranty, they replaced it (although i had to wait for delivery so it was not instant). i was more than happy as mine was getting scratched up anyway. oh, and this was at the SoHo store too.

12. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

thats a terrible way to look at it, i have a 30 year old film camera that still works fine, my SLR is 8 years old and it works fine. I have a 12 year old Panasonic TV that still hasn't lost it's original color and has never been in for repair.

And then this guy had his iPod for less then 2 years and it dies?

So let me get this straight ...

By your logic .... as Technology gets BETTER, the amount of time it lasts get WORST ?

13. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

does anyone know how to actually open up the new ipod? i cant seem to find anywhere to tell me how to open it?
    thanks
    Andreas

14. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

how about....

You are not insane, this is bang on the money, the problem to share holders is that the tv and camera didn't make as much money as they should have.

Some one should make a software jukebox that takes all formats including AAC runs on mac and windows, and then make a harddrive personal stereo that plays the same formats and has a battery that lasts longer than the iPod.

sounds sensible to me.:)

15. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

oh don't get me wrong, i think it's terrible that we put up with this...you nailed it when you said technology gets better and the amount of time it lasts gets worse...it's that oldie but goodie "they don't make things like they used to"

i never said that i liked what happened, i guess i just accept that it does happen. i still have a colour sony trinitron from, i think, before i was born (it belonged my folks). i asked them to keep it as it still worked great, and it must be one of the first colour tvs available. i also have old stereos that will carry for years more, but, these days i'm pleasantly surprised if something were to last more than three years. heck we have the technology to make everlasting lightbulbs, but how long do they last? i can't even count the amount of hard drives that i've seen die in the last year, that are no more than two years old...i have 1 giggers that still go strong.

in short, i think they just went a bit overboard.

16. Shifty macrumors regular

Apple did launch that new iPod battery replacement program, so at least Apple woke up to that one.

17. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Yes i suppose 99$ relatively reasonable ... compared to the 249$ the clerk quated

well lets calculate it

i read in that article that the battery is good for 500 full charges

so thats about and a half with a full charge every day

i guess thats what it would cost to buy new AA batteries for a year too