Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
I've seen a few PCMCIA SATA adapters on sale for the PC - but I can't find one with Mac drivers.

Anyone seen one out there?

I'm running Photoshop on my PowerBook, and I think an external SATA drive would speed up its temp drive a lot more than firewire (I think Firewire is a bit slower with a longer latency).

Thanks!

firestarter

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
simie said:
Check this one out - click here

As they say 'you beauty'!!!

Seems like these people are the manufacturers - I've emailed them to see if they can give me the name of anyone who retails them.

Thanks simie!

(And if anyone else has a suggestion, please let me know - this isn't exactly a done deal)

firestarter

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
homerjward said:
i know this sounds stupid, but there's external sata? :confused:

Yes. It's not a brilliant solution, as SATA leads have to be less than 40 inches, but it should be a whole load faster than Firewire 800 if you have a need for speed.

bdrumis

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2005
Convert firewire to usb

What's your recommendation for converting a LaCie D2 external HD with firewire ports to a PC which doesn't have a firewire port? I tried a pcmcia card adaptor with a firewire port in it, but my LaCie doesn't power up when I plug the firewire cable into it. It powers up when I plug the firewire cable into my Mac, so I know it's working. It seems to me the LaCie D2 turns on & off using a signal sent thru the firewire cable. Any ideas?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Remember: PCCard bus = 33 MHz 32 bit. You will not get full SATA speeds out of it. So it may be academic whether SATA (150 MB / sec) or FW800 (133 MB/sec through an approx. 80 MB per second pipe) are different in effetive drive speed.

The primary benefit of the PCMCIA adaptor (FW or SATA) is to get two external drives on separate controllers - putting 2 drives on one Firewire controller is a bottleneck.

Thanks
Trevor

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.