Anyone seen an Averatec laptop in person?

Discussion in 'Community' started by dopefiend, May 29, 2004.

1. dopefiend macrumors 6502

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've seen them for the past few months at various office stores and warehouse clubs. They seem okay but I've no idea whether they're reliable or not.

It's a lot of value for the money, but it seems a bit suspicious to me.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I've messed with one at Futureshop in Canada. They're now owned by Best Buy, and are Canada's leading electronics retailer. I have no idea why they're so cheap, but I was playing with a 12" model of some sort, and I was truly impressed by it. A 12" Windows laptop with a 1.3 GHz Pentium-M, built-in Combo drive, and 512 MB of RAM for $1299 Cdn, or around $800 US (specs from 10 months ago). It completely WOW'ed me --- reminded me of the 12" PB I was buying because it was small, thin, light, and yet everything was built in. Compaq, HP, Toshiba, Sony......they all got eff'ing smoked by this machine in terms of the design. Every laptop with the exception of Apple's iBook and PB lines feel cheap to me. The Averatec also feels cheaper than Apple, but not as cheap as the clunky designs from other companies. The only other PC laptop that impressed me at the time was the Gateway 200X, but that's well noted by anyone who has seen it.

In terms of performance, I don't know. However, if you use it mainly for MS Word, Excel, internet, email, and import pictures from a digital camera, then I'm sure its cool. I don't know what the video capabilities are. It may use one of those Intel Integrated video chips.....nothing good, especially not for gaming, but for $850 USD its a very impressive package for non-gamers.

4. wwidgirl macrumors member

wwidgirl

I bought a 15" averatec a few months ago. I hated it. Cheap looking (plastic), closed in such a way that it left scratches on the screen, and the dvd didn't work properly so I had to send it in for repairs (now fixed). I disliked it so much that I gave it to my sister and got a 12" powerbook instead. I LOVE my powerbook. a thousand times better than the averatec. A few weeks after I bought it, it went down in price $300. ARGH. Also, the power cord broke and again it had to be sent in for repairs (my sister's problem now, not mine).

5. dopefiend thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I saw the 12 inch in person. Seems very solid and no marks were found on the LCD.

Ordering one tonight!

Its exactly what I've been wanting: Portability thats cheap and still runs windows!

Keyboard may be a bit akward, but I should be use to it after a day or so of use.

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Please let us know how it works out. A good cheap Windows laptop would be nice to have.

Thanks!

Sushi

7. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    looks just like every other generic pc laptop to me :rolleyes: and it doesn't sound like it's that cheap either.

get an iBook and run VPC :cool:

8. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

9. cornfedgrowth macrumors member

Another decent laptop.

Hi, i just bought a 15" Systemax Notebook. Its been good for for me so far. It is pretty heavy and is alot of plastic, but at 512 megs of ram 40 gig hard drive and 64 meg ATI 9000mobile vid card, its a really nice computer. the base price was $750 after rebate, and about 820 after upgrades. My only real beef with it is that the fan runs pretty much constantly. I dont know if this would change if you upgraded it to a P4. (its a Celron 2.7ghz). (and the resolution is rather small for my liking (1024x780), but thats what you get when you buy a cheap PC) so anyway. i would deffinitally recomend this for good basic laptop. i bought mine from Tigerdirect.com, but i think there are a few other places that sell it.
    -Alex

I'm was going to put a link to this computer... but now that i'm looking for it, i can't find it. I guess the rebate expired or something. i guess this isn't prolly very helpful anymore...

10. dopefiend thread starter macrumors 6502

Pictures don't do it justice!

It really is great looking and you can't beat the features it has for less than $900!

I'd like to know what sounds cheap to you, hehe.

An iBook would be $1200+ the price of VPC if I wanted the same features, no thanks ;)

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hmmm...the specs have changed somewhat since the CNet review, but I'm surprised that ther 12" Averetec using a mobile AMD processor got such poor battery life -- barely over 2hrs. :( But some of the other features do look pretty cool.

12. tutubibi macrumors 6502a

tutubibi

First, small correction: Averatec is using Mobile Athlon, not Pentium M.

I also had a chance to test one at FutureShop. Specs are very good, screen looks OK. Unfortunately RAM can go to only 512 MB max and keyboard feels very cheap and has that small space bar.
    It looks like a bargain so the only issue is the build quality.

13. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

no contest. look at the OS for a start, and all the things that come with a Mac, iPhoto etc etc. 30% more for something that's obviously worth 50% more?

why are you on these boards anyway?? (just curious..... not trying to have a go at you or anything :) )

14. abc123 macrumors 6502

he probably needs a windows laptop and doesn't want to spend a great deal on it. if you are a programmer for example (i live with one) then windows is pretty much a requirement.

15. dopefiend thread starter macrumors 6502

Bingo!

Not a programmer, but I cannot live without Windows and it really doesn't bug me too much. ;)

16. dopefiend thread starter macrumors 6502

Already have OS X on another device ;)

And I'm on these boards to kill time, hehe.

17. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i saw a couple of models at office depot and they seemed ok

they were priced above emachines laptops and below hp-compaq laptops

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

eMachines are hideous, and don't work well. Even if an Averatec works only as good as an eMachine, surely the Averatec is worth the extra cost over the emachine.

Are Toshiba's still decent?

19. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i don't really know the quality of an averatec, but the bottom of the list is emachines and the top is sony with toshiba and ibm just below them

i would put hp-compaq below that but still well above emachines

toshiba and ibm still have machines priced similar to hp compaq so get the toshiba or ibm before the hp compaq laptop

sony, though the best, is pricey but worth the money if you value a great laptop...but for that kind of money, for the average sony, i would opt for a 12" powerbook or maxed out 14" ibook ;)

----------------------

so if i were a teacher, here's how i would grade the machines i have seen over the years

apple powerbook...A+
    apple ibook...A
    sony...A-
    toshiba...B+
    ibm...B
    hp/compaq...B-
    emachines...C+

20. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

its been a year since i last researched anything serious vis a vis laptops...but i would swap some of your ratings. I would give toshiba an A- (if you want a whole lotta laptop) and Sony would get a B- in my book (Everything I saw in my research indicated problems for a sony laptop). Also, don't forget that if you go high-end, even compaq makes nice laptops.
    On the other hand, most of the laptops i refused to consider when i have researched comps in the past have lasted some of my friends years. so ymmv.

-carly

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I dunno...as much as I like my iBook, from what I've heard of people who actually *purchased* eMachines (myself not included), they're not really so bad apart from some design oriented flaws. Like a lot of people complained that many of the earlier WXGA 15" format eMachines had a couple of the LEDs switched. While this is definitely not a good thing, in the long term for a user it isn't nearly as bad as a poorly mounted HD or a bad screen hinge or something like that. It sounds like the long term eMachines experience isn't sooo bad for the money.

Of course, you didn't put Gateway in your list, for the brief time they continue to make laptops outside the eMachines design. ;)

Also I personally have found IBMs to be better than Toshibas, although I agree they're definitely also better than Compaq's. I've used laptops from all three of these extensively, although I've never used Sony. I'd say Sony quality of design elegance is much higher than IBM, but for a laptop that does what its supposed to with a minimum of crashes, with all the windows features such as sleep and hibernate and so on working as they're supposed to, and is durable, I'd have to say IBM is second to none (Apple excluded).