Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
iQuit said:
How much of it is true?

i can't really say how much of it is true (as i'm not steve or bill) but i can say that i enjoyed it. it wasn't exactly thought provoking, but it was interesting to me....i recommend watching it to those who haven't.

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
I don't know how much of the story is true either, but it's an entertaining movie. Also I recommend it to everybody who has not seen it yet.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
I saw an interview with Steve Wozniak and he said he thought the movie was accurate and was blown away by the fact that they got a lot of the personal conversations correct and he has no idea how the people who made the movie new so many intimate details. When he and Steve were talking privately, he said those conversations really happened and he was kind of taken back by how truthful it was.

I can't believe what a psycho they made Bill Gates out to be. Every time they showed him, they made him have this crazy/creepy look in his eyes.

Also, I LOVED how they showed Bill Gates getting angry and wanting to know how come Apple can innovate and they couldn't.:cool:

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
njmac said:
Also, I LOVED how they showed Bill Gates getting angry and wanting to know how come Apple can innovate and they couldn't.:cool:

ooo, that scene when he's freaking out and running down the hall with the Lisa!
"GET IN HERE! I WANT THIS!!"
:) I LOVE IT!

I actually have based a report on this movie. It's accurate enough for a state-mandated learn how to use computers class. :p

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I thought the story of Bill Gates and Microsoft was more entertaining to watch. Take 2 college dropouts renting a room in a motel and conducting business. The circumstance they went through to deliver an OS to IBM was funny.

Jobs portrayal made him look like a ********. :p

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I think it's a really entertaining movie for anyone interested in the subject, and from what I understand it over-dramatizes some things and leaves some things out, but other than that it's really quite accurate.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Lacero said:
Jobs portrayal made him look like a ********. :p
In Hollywood, we call that an artist. But, well... yeah. I hear he's cooled off a bit as he's gotten older. I couldn't imagine Apple (or Pixar) if Steve was a nicer guy though.

Not that being a dick has helped Billy Boy.

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
I have been wondering about this movie as well, seems like something I would want to see. Is it available from Blockbuster or Hollywood video, or do I actually have to buy it online?

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
SummerBreeze said:
I have been wondering about this movie as well, seems like something I would want to see. Is it available from Blockbuster or Hollywood video, or do I actually have to buy it online?

It just recently came out on DVD, and you shouldn't have any trouble finding it at a major video rental store.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Yes, I saw it on PBS several years ago. Thoroughly enjoyed the film. Hoping to purchase it on DVD again soon.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
wdlove said:
Yes, I saw it on PBS several years ago. Thoroughly enjoyed the film. Hoping to purchase it on DVD again soon.
When was it on PBS? It was made for TNT... :confused:

Anyway, yeah, it's definitely an entertaining little flick. The contrast between Jobs (the insufferable artiste) and Gates (the ruthless businessman) is interesting when you consider that they sort of "complete" each other.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
clayj said:
The contrast between Jobs (the insufferable artiste) and Gates (the ruthless businessman) is interesting when you consider that they sort of "complete" each other.

Awwww

<3 <3 <3 Steve Jobs and Bill Gates 2gether 4-ever!!! <3 <3 <3

Actually, I read on either slashdot or memepool that there was some slash fiction for those two...
eeewwww....

/If I pour bleach into my ear, will it clean my brain of those images?
//Woah, that burns.
///...................*passes out*

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
It's a good flick and even funnier is when the actor who played Steve Jobs did the keynote at WWDC 96 (I believe that was the year) and the two were almost impossible to discern.

I'd go as far as to say one of the most enjoyable made-for-tv-movies I've ever seen. Even my girlfriend kind of liked it, and she's super picky.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
JDOG_ said:
It's a good flick and even funnier is when the actor who played Steve Jobs did the keynote at WWDC 96 (I believe that was the year) and the two were almost impossible to discern.

I'd go as far as to say one of the most enjoyable made-for-tv-movies I've ever seen. Even my girlfriend kind of liked it, and she's super picky.

Oh, I have that video! It's WWDC 99! It was soo cooool... a lot of people couldn't tell it wasn't Steve Jobs! :)

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
The history the movie is telling ended with Bill on the Screen.

I sure hope they make a part 2, it's been nearly 10 years since the screen and Apple seems to be in a renaissance.

emmawu

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2005
Wauwatosa, WI
My husband and I liked it so much we bought it on both VHS when it first came out and on DVD recently. We also got a copy of the books the movie was based on, "Fire in the Valley", which is an overview of the whole Silicon Valley computer industry and "The Little Kingdom" which is the best book about the founding of Apple Computer ever printed IMHO. A lot of the scenes in the movie like Steve Jobs being the Mad Hatter, Woz being the White Rabbit and Jobs' girlfriend are right out of the book. It also tells just how the company went public and shows the incredible stress, luck and hard work went into the founding of the company.

The actor who plays Jobs (Noah Wyle) really looks like he did in the 80's and Anthony Michael Hall who plays Gates is right on the money. The movie is "narrated" by Wozniak on the Apple side and Ballmer on the Microsoft side. A riveting rivalry for sure but a bit mean spirited towards Uncle Steve also IMHO.

If you're an Apple fan it's really a must see; also see "Triumph of the Nerds" which you can also rent from Netflix by Robert X Cringley, Apple employee No. 12. Great documentary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.