Anyone Seen The Illusionist?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Grakkle, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Grakkle macrumors 6502a

Grakkle

I saw The Illusionist (on DVD) the other day, and thought it was quite good.

The story is interesting, the dialogue and scenes believable, and the end's fantastic. Great acting too. The milieu of 19th century Vienna is convincingly portrayed.

Warning: a bit of a plot spoiler: The fact that most of the events in the movie are, in fact, an illusion that one's led to believe is reality, and then the unveiling of the illusion only in the last scene is brilliant, IMO. That aspect of the film was my personal favourite.

It's about the only really good movie I've seen for a year. Has anyone else seen it, and what was your opinion?

2. bgd macrumors regular

I've seen it and quite enjoyed it. However I was on a plane towards the end of 26 hours travelling so probably missed a lot. Wouldn't mind watching it again under better circumstances. It was intelligently done.

3. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Yeah I saw it on a plane a few weeks ago. pretty good. Edward Norton is a class actor. I hadn't really heard of the film until I saw it in the in-flight magazine though.

4. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Same here. Saw The Illusionist on a plane but the movie kept getting interrupted by PAs, turbulence, crying babies and food service. The heavy person in front of me kept moving his seat back and forth so I spent a lot of time adjusting the LCD. Not the most pleasant movie viewing experience, not to mention I thought the movie was going to be directed by Christopher Nolan and starring Christian Bale so I was left wondering for a bit why Ed Norton was getting all the screen time.

The movie was excellent; Rufus Sewell has always been one of my favourite actors and his role in this film was well suited as the victim of Ed's devilish tricks. It had an M. Night Shyamalan-like ending which is well suited for this genre.

Speaking of Nolan, I just saw The Prestige last night and I'm still unsure if I like it or not. Too fantastical for my taste, given Nolan's penchant for creating believable scenarios from fantasy genres.

5. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

my roommate just rented it....i'm thinking about watching it....

6. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I also saw The Illusionist on a flight from London to SFO, and enjoyed it a great deal.

It's worth a watch, twoodcc.

7. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

alright, i'll give it a shot when i get a chance :)

8. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

I really liked it.
    Had many great story elements and kept pace well.
    I would recommend it for a night alone or with company.
    ;)

9. Supa_Fly macrumors 68030

Supa_Fly

I rented last week & may have to watch it again.

Reason: I can ONLY remember that its a great movie. Thats it.

CAUSE of REASON: I watch The Prestige! which was far better in my opinion although BOTH movies seem to be set in the same era. The Prestige leaves a few more twists & turns even hinting at real magic and naming someone that really existed as a significant part of history.

My favorite quote: " My pursuit of my passion will eventually destroy me ... ".

Still watch BOTH movies 1 night after another.

Best movies of 2006 by far. ( Batman if it was in 2006 was also great).

10. TrenchMouth macrumors 6502

I saw The Prestige when it was out in the theater here. At first I didn't know how much I liked it ether. Now I am certain that I did. In fact, I think I liked it considerably more than The Illusionist, which I did like quite much.

As a bonus, David Bowie was great. :cool:

11. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I just finished watching the Illusionist, and I enjoyed it. I'm not sure if I liked it or the prestige best, I need to watch the Prestige again.

12. meaculpa20v macrumors newbie

meaculpa20v

I saw it, but unlike many of you, I didn't like it very much. I love Edward Norton and Paul Giamatti but this film was a little too predictable for my taste. Still got to see the Prestige, I love Christian Bale.

13. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Happened to watch it tonight actually. Very good. I could've done with a little more explanation as to how he pulled off the illusions, but I guess secrecy is part of being a true illusionist. :)

14. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I loved the Illusionist. I went with some friends, we thought it was "The Prestige" but once it started, we couldn't stop watching. The entire movie was a mind trip.

TEG

15. Boxer macrumors regular

The other half wants to see it really bad. I will go rent it tonight.

16. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

We did the same thing. LOL. Still, we really enjoyed it and I managed to get my wife to see a "period" piece.