Anyone seen the terrible panther video?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by wigga69uk, Oct 28, 2003.

1. wigga69uk macrumors newbie

The people on the video have put me off buying Panther!

It made everyone at work laugh out loud. Maybe it's because we are English?

People like those on the video make us nauseous.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/video/

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. OziMac macrumors 6502

Ha ha.

Come on - give Omar a break. He is preaching to the faithful ;) No one complains (well, not too overtly) when Phil Schiller does his over the top Apple gusto whenever a new type of Apple computer is released. And at least it's not that dude that did the intro for the iTMS - he was a little too full on.

And that DJ, BT or whatever - he is becoming a serial Apple 'promoter' - like Bono. A bit hard to take his word as seriously this time after seeing him gush on the 17" Powerbook intro video.

JJ Abrams was a little more restrained and practical, as was the photographer. Apple needs to use more people like that, and rotate their favourite promo people a little to make a decent impact.

I for one quite like these little intro videos - they basically tell you nothing new (except for the Powerbook 12/17 and G5 ones) but give you a few nice visuals and a warm, if not fuzzy, feeling.

4. joshuwa72 macrumors member

i have seen that, and that is a very poor video.

It dosnt seem professional at all...almost comical.

The funny faces the guy makes are almost as humorous as his hair...

5. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Ugh. That thing made me physically ill. I had to turn it off after a matter of seconds because I was very near to reaching through that screen and bitch slapping Omar back to the stone age. He wouldn't even make it on a Ron Popeil advert. He shouldn't be doing them for Apple.

They should have gotten David Bowie. :D

6. electric macrumors regular

I couldent get past the hair(thing living on top of Omars head), All I could do is stare at the "thing". I almost did a force quit on accident because the video made my brain freeze.

7. Frisco macrumors 68020

8. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

Omar is from Oprah. He's the "tech genius" or something, and after Oprah is finished remembering her spirit, she cuts to Omar for a segment about blatantly obvious tech solutions, like being able to email photographs.

And JJ, shouldn't be so proud. He's the creator of ALIAS....go home JJ. Thats not an endorsement...thats like saying "that plane that just crashed was run by apple computers".

9. illumin8 macrumors 6502

Re: Anyone seen the terrible panther video?

Haha... You're right; Omar is a buffoon. But I thought it was pretty cool that BT was on it. He also did the background music for that video if anyone noticed.

10. m_gerbik macrumors member

Re: Anyone seen the terrible panther video?

Damn that was awful, but don't even pretend like England has never seen the likes of Omar before in terms of spokespeople. That psycho AOL genie lady with the LCD dress. She made me projectile vomit when I lived there.

"A prissy know-all is a strange choice to symbolise the exciting new media revolution."

11. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That was the most god-awful, sickening excuse for an "advertisement" EVER! Shame on you Apple :rolleyes:

12. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Couldn't Apple find someone else other than a loud-mouthed, arm-waving jerk to make the video?

Please, please, PLEASE don't show this in the UK. Apple's already minute market share will get even smaller....

13. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

What's wrong with the ad..? And Omar guy is so cool :D

14. benpatient macrumors 68000

i wish i could see that video, but it won't work with the last OS 9 quicktime version...

i bet it would run on my PC, though....bah. not worth the trouble of going across the room and finding out.

i've seen plenty of bad Mac ads in the past...this one must be horrid if you guys are upset about it.

15. matthew24 macrumors 6502

matthew24

:( Matter of opinion, but I really like the video. ;)

16. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

give omar a break.

the purpose of THAT video is not sell macs to mac users.

but to the soccer mamas who watch oprah.

and don't say negative anything of omar - he thinks he's black so he could sue you for racism. if he's black them i'm double black .. whatever. :rolleyes:

17. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

18. beefcake macrumors 6502

19. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

I don't understand!

People complain that Apple does not show the interface and features of OS X, then when they do, it is the most disgusting, God awful thing they have seen.
    Relax people, the video is well done, serves the purpose, and it does not go overly aesthetic. It makes it watchable to people who may not understand artsy, and just want to know a computer.

I wonder if this is going to be shown as some sort of infomercial in the future? Anybody know?

20. wigga69uk thread starter macrumors newbie

I think it's an American/English thing.

Sweet and savoury

Us English just want a nice simple sausage roll.

We don't need things explaining to us in a patronizing in your face way.

And that bloke saying 'Kick Ass!', ha! ha!

21. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Ehhh.. he's not speaking on behalf of all Holland. :D