Anyone seen this? New Canon?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by unknown87, Sep 5, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

I was sent this link by a friend this morning and had no idea what it could be about? He reckons a new 5D, but I'm more than skeptical....

http://www.canon.com/moon/en/index.html

Apologies if this is something very old, I'm sleepy :p

2. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I've not seen it before, it's got a 2008 copyright and it's certainly not giving much away!

Edit to add: teasers all over the place. Canon Japan wierd banner on Canon Europe.

I hope you've all been saving your pennies...

3. macrumors 68000

oblomow

4. thread starter macrumors regular

Why make such a fuss over it if its been 'out there' for a while though?

5. macrumors 601

Westside guy

So a magazine cover, that might be fake, mentions the "7D". And Canon Europe says "Stay Tuned". Potokina is only a few days away, so I'd think we'll all know the answer soon... stay tuned... :D

I'd bet on the 5D replacement though. It's overdue; plus what else, exactly, makes sense? Is there anything else they haven't already refreshed?

6. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I think everyone is in agreement it's a 5D replacement. Seems to be some confusion as to whether it's one body or two: people over at dpreview claim the different teaser images show different bodies due to missing dials on some images. It's possible (although I feel it's unlikely) that Canon may be about to split the 5D into a 3D and a 7D to compete at different price levels...

7. macrumors 68020

Kebabselector

It's the only one not updated yet, so I expect it will be.

8. macrumors 601

Westside guy

I don't know how the people that hang out on DPreview's Canon forum are; but if they're anything like some of the ones on the Nikon forum, their connection with reality is rather tenuous. :D

9. macrumors 65816

wheezy

If it's a new 5D then my $3000 for a MacPro is going to Canon now. Poor Apple (Okay, not really, $3K is nothing to them). I wouldn't be surprised if they split it into a cheaper FF though, I think there are a LOT of loyal fans to the 20/30/40/50D body that are ready to jump, and if they can keep it below $2000 then sales will go crazy. If they can keep it below $2000 then I'd be happy to throw my balance out towards another new L. Mmmm. L

10. ksz
    macrumors 68000

I would be very tempted by the hypothetical Canon 7D, a FF 16MP body with HD Movie Mode. If it also borrows the new 50D's ability to mount both EF and EF-S lenses, it could provide a crop mode with high FPS.

Lots of goodies to look forward to at this year's Photokina.

11. macrumors member

CATinHAWAII

When is Photokina again? Darn this trip coming up in October!
    Maybe time to upgrade,,, GRRRRRRR:p

12. macrumors 68020

It's physically impossible to mount EF-S lenses, because the lens tube will touch the mirror. With Canon's mount (unlike Nikon's F mount), it's not possible.

13. ksz
    macrumors 68000

Is the mirror on FF closer to the mount whereas the mirror on APS-C is farther recessed into the body?

14. macrumors 68020

Yes, because the sensor, and hence, the mirror are larger.
    I'm not sure if that applies for (some?) third-party lenses.

15. macrumors 68020

Kebabselector

Don't think it does, with 3rd party lenses you just get a nice bit of vignetting.

I wouldn't believe that, OK Nikon have dropped it in the D90. I doubt Canon would do the same on a 5D replacement. Looks as if someone has looked a latest trends and just guessed (Not saying it wont happen, but seems unlikely)

It's not a new thing, all EF lenses work on all EOS bodies.