Anyone sick of Aqua yet?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TheSpaz, Dec 22, 2006.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I have to admit, I am really starting to get sick of Aqua. I think it's time for Apple to update the appearance of Mac OS X. I hope by the time Leopard comes out, the UI will have a fresh new look. I'm sick of the stripes, I'm sick of the candy-like gumdrops and wattery scrollbars. I know I can theme the OS but, I'll install a theme and then find something that doesn't work with it or it looks out of place with some things. I think APPLE needs to change the OS Interface and maybe give theme designers an easier canvas to work with when creating new themes.

Here's one idea. Apple should change the OS X appearance and then create an App that developers can use to enhance/change the OS X theme so that they can release their own themes for Mac OS X that are 100% compatible with OS X. I remember when OS 9 had a theme pop-up menu in the appearance dialog where you can install various themes from third parties. What was wrong with that? There were some COOL themes out there. The cool thing was, it changed the theme, the icons, the menus, and you could actually natively change the OS fonts.

I think it's time Apple updated their 1999-ish graphics... nobody's into Aqua anymore... it's so dated. I want an OS that resembles the newest hardware somewhat... like how Aqua resembled the iMac and G3s and Apple Displays.

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Eh, don't fix what ain't broke. It still looks cleaner and more integrated than any of Microsoft's offerings. I enjoy the new elements that have been introduced in various apps and refinements, and I still think Aqua looks better than, say, Vista's Aero or something.

And if you think it hasn't changed, go back and look at 10.0 vs. 10.4. They've toned down a lot of the interface to be more smooth and subtle.

The new dark windows for Finder Quick Look in Leopard are kinda cool though. I wouldn't want them across the whole OS, but they're neat for what they are.

3. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Any interface will do that to do when you stare 5 years at it... and yes I'm sick of Aqua as well, hopefully Apple will create something pretty sleek but its not like Aqua is disgusting to look at or anything because its still rather nice.

But the interface has changed between different versions... when I was on vacation and used my cousin's emac which has 10.2 I think... everything is a LOT different, it felt ancient compared to Tiger, so yeah, the small changes are very subtle but when added up you realize Apple has upgraded OSX quite a bit and not just the GUI :p,

4. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

No. But I think this is a testament to the quality of the OS itself. Some of it's users have nothing better to worry about that "candy-like gumdrops and watery scrollbars". :rolleyes:

Use Windows for a week, themed or not, and you'll be begging for a glimpse of Aqua.

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

not yet, unless you guys don't think mac's user population is expanding. not everybody owns a mac for 5 years.

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Not in the slightest. I still find the OS to be very visually appealing and if they changed it to the iTunes 7 style interface then I would find it to be a downgrade in design.

7. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Oh well I guess thats a good point, I'm sick (okay not sick, its just not wow-ing me anymore, its become second nature to me) of Aqua because I use Macs all the friggin time (I own 4 of them) and I've been using OSX ever since the first version came out (and before that I had used previews and betas and stuff) so yeah... but I guess for the recent mac switcher (namely the intel ones) Aqua must be a dream.

8. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

if you're sick of it, download CandyBar and change your icons and themes. or learn to use Interface Builder (part of Xcode, which is free to you from Apple on your OSX install/reinstall CDs/DVDs). or buy Photoshop to change your icons - a friend of mine did this so his sytem is still Aqua but it's much smoother and less in-your-face.

there are many options. it's a shame, though, that none of them are built into the OS. i've suggested before that Apple should make icons and other parts of the UI more changeable; something simple like allowing a user to choose their picture in the iPhoto or Preview icons shouldn't be too difficult.

9. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

10. OwlsAndApples macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

It's true that Aqua is much more together than the 10.0 version, still an update would be nice. For a GUI, I think it's hard to beat, especially after installing UNO.

11. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

when brushed metal and stripes got old, i installed uno. completely reversible and doesn't take up any CPU. and it really does look like my MBP's andonized aluminum case.

12. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

13. MacVault macrumors 65816

Hi TheSpaz, You hit the nail on the head! I agree 100%. Aqua and the OS X Finder is so toy-ish compared to XP, yea that's right, even XP. And now Vista. No wonder OS X is not used in the business world. It's UI does not lend itself well to business tasks/productivity, etc. Apple tries to "simplify" so much that the system ends up lacking so many much-needed features for the sake of simplicity. Like make use of the Mighty Mouse's right button throughout the system. It's very useful in Windows. And how about a delete key! It's 2007 already! Come on Apple! MODERNIZE your OS X! I'm hoping Apple fixes this in Leopard.

Ha! WRONG! Windows XP/Vista is way more "integrated". Can you right click on a file in OS X and "Send to Email Recipient"? NO. You cannot in OS X. But you can in Windows, and that is called INTEGRATION. Apple has got to catch up! In Leopard! Not in the next cat 2+ years from now :mad:

14. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

you can through stuffit...

Attached Files:

15. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

I got tired of it and paid for shape shifter. Cheaper than a new Mac OS and lots of themes to choose from!:)

[​IMG]

16. MacVault macrumors 65816

Yea, but this kind of "integration" should be built into the OS! How about the Help feature? I avoid the OS X Help Viewer at all cost - It is terrible. In contrast the Help system in Windows Server 2003 is a pleasure to use... you just click on the question mark at the top-right corner of whatever screen/window you're looking at and a help window pops up based on the window you need help on, complete with hyper links to other help topics, etc. This is what I call clean, smooth integration.

I've tried Shape Shifter but no, it doesn't change the UI to the extent I would like it to. And since it's not done by Apple itself there are certain UI elements that just don't work with Shape Shifter and so you have a weird looking UI. Shape Shifter still must work within the predetermined constraints of Aqua. Thanks alot, Apple :mad:

17. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

MacVault, do you come onto MacRumors for the sole purpose of complaining about the UI and making angry faces? It seems to be a trend here, a lot of negative/unconstructive energy.

18. Max Payne macrumors 6502a

Mouse, right click, e-mail... etc. What do all of these have to do with Aqua? :confused:

If you want right click, buy a £1 mouse from the cattle market. I am sure it will do the trick.

19. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

You're certainly entitled to your views, MacVault, but I'm sorry that I can't help but feel you're trolling a little bit. ;) :D

I'll admit, I've never used Windows Server 2003, although shouldn't we be comparing OS X with XP? Have you ever used OS X's help system? It's actually helpful, unlike XP's (which is about as helpful as basic level phone tech support), and even though there isn't a "Help" button in every single window in OS X (which seems a bit over the top to me) there are many windows that contain *exactly* that help system that you described. Go ahead, try it. Open something in System Preferences and click the purple ? mark.

GUI design is pretty subjective, but I think you'd have to be just a bit crazy to say Aqua doesn't lend itself to productivity. What features is it missing? What uses of the right-click are you looking for, because I use right-clicks constantly and there is plenty of use made of them in OS X. Of course it's also designed such that you don't have to right-click at all if you don't want. Choice is good.

I'm not sure what you mean by a delete key, because Macs have a Delete key. And a DEL key too (except for some of the compact keyboards). However, the latter is all but useless. So I'm no sure what you're complaining about.

Actually, you know what, I don't think I need to respond to this one. People get the idea by now. :rolleyes:

Anyway, very little of that actually had a thing to do with Aqua. I do hope Brushed Metal disappears completely before long, and for Apple to make it even a LITTLE easier for themers wouldn't be bad. But have you looked a a screenshot of OS X 10.0.0 lately? We've come a long way, baby.

20. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

21. Superdrive macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

Can you take that same file in Windows XP and drag it and drop it on Mail.app for a new message to pop up? Instead of complaining, read a book. You might learn something.

22. sachamun macrumors member

yes you can actually...just set up an automator action.

23. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I cannot believe someone was serious when they wrote this, or they are free to walk the streets. Hmm...well there was the pet rock, so there is no accounting for taste (or lack thereof).

24. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Well you can its just not as easy to get to. Select a file finder>services>mail You could just create a key combo for this.

25. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

No, that is not called integration. It is called an object's method and if that is your best example, I have news for you. It is a potential pain when the user has Word as their default Outlook editor. Really does not work that well.

If you like Windows, great! Have fun and use that which suits you best. But, why are you here?