Anyone sim city 4 gamers here?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jdm_rsx, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Jdm_rsx macrumors 6502

Just got the game....instructions seem boring

anyone want to give me some hints or tips on how to play?

2. KrysBaz macrumors member

I never read the instruction book.

Play the quick tutorial, takes about 20 mins to get the idea, then just play untill you get bored, or the game becomes so slow you can make tea while waiting for a year to pass.

Remeber to do the update patch before you start playing, and down load some of the additonal mods too.

enjoy

3. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Okay time for some tips-- build industry at the edge of your city(keeps polt. away from your city) this works for me. Also zone heavy from the start as it may cost more but is worth it. Since wrer on this part run water and then sell some to neighbors(extra cash will help till your city is built up). Power plant is up to you(what type).
    Now on to Res.--build schools!! seems if their smart right away in all the cities i've built Com. gets built nice and less polt. from industry(they go high tech).
    For some reason when I built a farm or two my city went crazy in a good way :D Also plan ahead for rail use and a highway as this will also help.
    Some quick income let them gamble(make it legal extra $100).
    The rest you will find on your own and don't think twice about tearing down something that isn't working--just rebuild :p
    Have fun a few hours will go by fast.

4. harveypooka macrumors 65816

I love SimCity. My iMac doesn't run 4 too well though, it needs mad specs. I found this one bloody solid as well! I always struggle with money on the thing. There is a way, and I will find it! Eventually.

5. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

There was a cheat code for 2 and 3 but I forgot it :mad: type some name in and then you take a chance of your city being destroyed but you would get a certain amount of money each time you entered it :confused:
    I will do a search and see if one is out for SC4.
    I will post back if I find it-- :cool:

6. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Sim

Nooo! Cheats are the end of games man!!! You've gotta work at it!

7. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Hey now :D I've done really well with out any cheats on SC4 like
    1 Miiilllliooon Dollllars in the bank just by selling extra ele.,water and other city services :p thats my quick cash income-- well increase taxes also :eek:
    Don't forget give them bus stops-- wow did I forget that on my first city-- what a traffic jam!

8. Jdm_rsx thread starter macrumors 6502

whats so good about rush hour? should i get it?

what does rush hour add?

also where can i download the new patch or mods?

name some?

VERY nOOB here...

bear with me! thanks!

9. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Rush Hour

I was wondering about Rush Hour myself. My guess would be its like the streets of simcity for SC2--only better :D
    I'm going to Apple store today anyway so I'll check it out there(the box anyway).

10. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

Firstly, to answer the original post, go to www.simtropolis.com . That is an excellent website chock full of hints, tips, mods, lots, city journals, etc.

Secondly, Rush Hour is absolutely necessary for a good SC4 experience. With it you can use all the mods and custom buildings and lots that are available. The extra transport options such as avenues, el trains, one way streets, ferrys, better bridges, etc, make it SO much more fun than the original.

11. Jdm_rsx thread starter macrumors 6502

pretty much ONE LAST question is that

will it lag on my iBOOK?

1.2 ghz G4
    768 ram
    32 video radeon 9200

i mean at start it might not but later? if so, i might just try to sell my iBOOK first and then pick up a powerbook then do all this stuff..

12. benpatient macrumors 68000

with more than 100k people in a medium or large map, it will lag. It will do so even on a dual 2.5 G5 w/a 9800 Pro.

And to a certain degree, it will do that on a PC, as well...there is a LOT going on both on stage and behind the scenes.

I wouldn't worry about whether or not it will lag. Yes, it's nice when it doesn't, but lag doesn't kill gameplay with that kind of game. It's just a bit frustrating.

When i upgraded my 9600 Pro to a 6600GT, my biggest city (400,000 medium lot size) quit lagging, and I play it at 1600x1200. It takes less than a second for the "building draw" to happen (if you've played it, you know what I mean...where the game draws the buildings UP and out from the center when you switch zoom modes). It used to be kinda slow.

So yeah, graphics card plays a big role in this game, but it isn't going to work well with good graphics card and a slow CPU, either.

It's just resource sucking from all sides! a very demanding app.

though rewarding, as well. I think I'll go home and play some.

and to second some other comments, don't buy the game without getting Rush Hour, too. My brother didn't have rush hour, and I thought much less of the game when I played it at his place than when I play at home, where I have the Deluxe edition (includes RH). Best part was that I paid less for the deluxe than he did for SC4 by itself. I don't think Deluxe has ever come out for the Mac,though. Not that mac users are used to discounts!

13. Jdm_rsx thread starter macrumors 6502

im just starting to play SC4 w/ rush hour

how do i build monorails?

this is much more confusing compared to the simcity2k lol

it also says my city aint making money, should i start with low density?

and work my way up ? thanks!

how do i play internet or connect others?

to be honest, this is quite laggy when im starting on the iBook G4 1.2 ghz w/ 768 ram...32 video...maybe im just demanding...but...i think it would run much more smooth in the powerbook

14. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

SC4 is much much more complicated in the way you manage your budget than the old Sim Cities. You must be very patient and build strictly low density until you make some more money. I have heard not to install water pipes, no fire fighting, etc, util absolutely needed. But, If you are like me and dont want to play for 3 weeks until you can spend money on monorails and ferrys etc then you can download a lot that will give you 4 billion simoleans when the month rolls over. Be aware though if you use this lot you have to get rid of it once you get the money, otherwise you will get too much and the game will crash. Yes, a powerbook will run SC4 better than your ibook. You are running pretty much at the bottom end of the game's specs. But, be aware the powerbook still isnt the most ideal platform. This game is a resource hog and the more power the better. With that being said I suggest playing maps with more medium and small cities and turn down the graphics settings a bit. Should help with performance.

15. Jdm_rsx thread starter macrumors 6502

SO even if i do get a powerbook, the game will run more smooth BUT it wont be that much smoother?

whats a good way to start my city? transportation?
    if i only use monorail or just rail would it work? or would i need roads?

where or what is my main source of income? how does the freight work? it doesnt seem to use it and i dont see much income ^^

do you have aim or msn? that might be easier direct chat instead of flooding this forums

thanks!

16. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Sim City 4 runs fine on my PowerBook 12" 1GHz. But I'm not very good at the game. I find it a struggle to ever make any money and my city always expands until I run out of room - I still can't afford schools or anything decent. And I don't yet get stadiums or the like! Anyone offer me any quick fix for money?

17. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Quick Income Again

Okay just to help out if you make sure when you start to sell extra services--i.e.--water, electricity and "gambling" this will help :rolleyes:
    Try to make enough room(zones) so you don't have to expand all the time.
    I have a medium size city and 24-32hrs. into it I'm making 1500 extra a month without stressing my city services. It seems to make me money everytime (lost last city when I went to Panther :mad: man was it doing great!)
    Keep taxes some what lower on your High zone Comm. and start with a school but keep funding low, not to low that they strike :eek: Fire only if you need it and Police the same. Just keep them smart! :D

18. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

The best thing I can say is to expand conservatively. Make sure that EVERYBODY in your residential areas have jobs before you build more residential zones, even if the demand is there. Also make sure all residential buildings are occupied before expanding residential. You do this by making sure that jobs are located NEAR residential areas.

Also make sure that you provide a full complement of school services and health services to EVERYBODY. That will attract high-wealth citizens and you'll make more money that way. Yes, it's expensive to start, but that's the only way to make long-term cash. So start small, but give everybody schools and health care, and build slowly. Otherwise you'll spend a zillion dollars building new zones, but you won't attract any money to pay for power and water.

Speaking of which, water is crucial. You MUST provide water to build anything above low density, and you must provide water to attract upper-middle and high-wealth citizens.

Eventually, you should dezone areas of dirty industry, raise the low-wealth industry taxes, and then rezone those areas of previously-dirty industry as high-density industry. High-tech industry will develop as a result. You dezone dirty industry because high-tech industry doesn't develop where there is high pollution. Do this a little bit at a time, because if you do it all at once, you'll never recover from the loss of tax income. Do it a little bit at a time and repeat until most industry is high tech. It's expensive, but it's worth it.

One question I have: I have a terrible time getting commercial areas to develop when they're outside of my main "downtown" area. Even when I have a swath of commercial zone surrounded by residential areas, they don't develop. Anybody got any ideas?

19. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

You could try the demand supermod found at Simtropolis. With it you can increase demand for commercial or res or ind or all three. And yes it works with the Mac version. :)

20. benpatient macrumors 68000

you could try crying.

that's how I get my commercial buildings to grow up instead of out. Maybe they need the rain water or something.

seriously, though, that's the hardest part of SC4...getting big commerical office buildings to appear and stay.

They are the coolest buildings in the game, though.

some tricks I've figured out that can help you:

Subways are great for big cities. Get pollution down around the commercial areas, and make sure that you aren't depriving them of parks. Put parks and stuff everywhere inside the commercial area. I recommend making a couple of makeshift "roads" out of parks and plazas. Also, monuments help attract high commercial, for some reason.

One of the best ways to play is to have a "dirty" city next to a very "clean" one, and to have the "clean" one buy it's power from the "dirty" one, which won't mind a little extra pollution.

21. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

If you got a powerbook you would see some improvement, especially if you got one with 128 mb of VRAM. I have played the game on a 2.4GHZ 128 mb VRAM 1 GB RAM PC and it still lags on some of the larger cities, the game just needs lots of power.

As for more advice, the posts above have some great advice, but at the risk of repeating myself too many times, I suggest going to www.simtropolis.com and searching the forums there. The entire site is devoted to how best play the game and make it the most fun.

22. Jdm_rsx thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey all, i actually have already posted...on that forums...

but it seems to be moving slowly unlike this forums

sorry about that ^ ^

has anyone ever try monorail? what are the ups and downs?

im thinking about doing all RAIL and just trains...

is it ok to build commercial and resident areas?

HOW DO I SELL POWER AND WATER? also where can i enable gambling???

23. Jdm_rsx thread starter macrumors 6502

gee, thanks a lot applekid that was a lot of help

reason why im posting here is because im hoping to get some help here???

anyways guys back on the subject, im finally back on track able to make SOME money or at least equal out

i find that start everything out with streets works best and when it needs to be upgrade so will the buildings around it...

gambling is nice

things such as learnin how to conserve water or electricity help? any effect?

what about landwaste? does recycling center work?

24. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

More Tips

If you didn't find a few things out yet you can try to run your water, power and roads to your neighbors and sell the extra or click on your powerplant and adjust funding. That applies to all servicies (well most). Your city will be notified if someone wants to dump trash or buy water or some other service.
    Now land waste---zone for a landfill until your city gets large even then you should be making money so have another city take your trash for a fee and let them deal with it.
    Back to the water Qs-- start w/water tower or "one" water pump and then go from there. Don't build pipes past the areas you have zoned(no need to waste).
    Roads--I look at the big picture first and on a piece of paper draw some roads out when I start out. I always put in a double road where my main stretch will be for my city. Then if later I want to put in a highway its easy.
    Bus stops-- put them close to busy streets and their work places.
    You did find city servicies income/outgoing to get money I asume :rolleyes:
    Well now its just a matter of trying things-- Don't Forget To Save The Game From Time To Time! Man I had a great city then the program just quit and I had to start all over :mad: