anyone sober?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by darkwing, Oct 12, 2005.

1. darkwing macrumors 65816

There's all these forums here for all sorts of various things people do. I figured I'd start one for something that I take some amount of pride in.

I'm 26 years old and I've never had a drink in my life. Not one. I've never tried any form of smoking or drugs, either. Anyone else?

If anyone wants to insult me for it, btw, just remember to "think different." :)

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

That sucks ... think of all the sinful and tasty desserts and foods you'll miss by avoiding alcohol ingredients. :(

3. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Let me put it this way: I did all of my "experimenting" with assorted substances before I turned 21 (and I'm now 35). I found out everything I needed to know about that and lost interest. ;)

4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I'm right behind you...25 years and counting.

5. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Well, I've never tried any kind of smoking or drugs either, and although I do drink I don't do so heavily (in so far as my alcohol intake is comfortably within what's recommended). It sounds like you're pretty good at resisting temptation, darkwing – are there any particular reasons for your abstinence, or is it just something you've never fancied?

6. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I've never smoke pot. Or taken any recreational drug. Ever. People sometimes act uncomfortable when I bring that up, as if I'm getting up on the preaching pulpit. But I simply state it as a fact.

But I've drank. I've only met one person my age who's never drank, and I only know a handful of people who've never smoked pot. It's odd but people in their 20's today are much more likely to have smoked pot than people from the "hippie generation" that helped popularize the stuff.

7. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Done drugs, got bored. Got drunk all the time, got bored. I'll still drinka nd msoke my cigarettes (that's right, I look forward to black lungs and diseases that will kill me, so kiss my ass truth.com). I'm not big into aprtying anymore. I'm only 23 (almost 24) and I haven't touched drugs since I was 16, haven't partied my brains out since I was 18. I did a hell of a ot of it. Probably as much partying as a rockstar, but then you get tired of it and you ahve to make sure you can get up for work. Jsut isn't worth it when you could be doing other things... Like plotting the destruction of the NFL.

8. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

I've had a drink before, never been drunk, don't have any interest to.

I've had a smoke before, just a cigarette, didn't care for it, don't want another one.

Never smoked pot, although I cannot kid myself: I LOVE the smell of the stuff... mmmmmm. :D

Never been drunk or high. I honestly feel (and this is my opinion, no offense to anyone) that most of the people who do these things are unhappy in their everyday life, and I am happy. I am also capable of having plenty of fun without the use of such substances, so there's just no point in me getting involved in it.

I've had plenty of friends that fall under both categories, that is - those who are pushy about it and those who aren't. I've never been given TOO big of a hassle, but every now and then I am tested by the peer pressure and it is never hard to say no. :)

EDIT: About the marijuana smelling, I wasn't talking about "clam baking" in a car or anything, lol. Let's just say when some of my friends are in possession, I can smell it on them like a drug dog and it smells like good, in the same way that gasoline smells good, but I've no intention of drinking the stuff.

9. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Now that I've given up caffeine, alcohol's pretty much my only vice. Never smoked, and I've only just sampled pot and harder drugs.

10. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Like Thoreau says...'Water is the only drink for a wise man.'

I drink on occasion. I don't drink to get hammered, but I do enjoy Guinness from time to time.

Don't smoke. Won't start. Hate it more than anything. (Seems rather unintelligent to spend $6 to basically buy yourself cancer, yellow teeth, and a nasty smoke smell...not one good/positive thing comes from it)

I won't follow the herd and say I've "experimented" with marijuana in my younger years - I'll be exactly honest:

I smoked weed when I was in high school, actually found it to be quite entertaining; but short-term memory loss was quickly noticable, so I gave that up during high school.

11. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Hmmm... what haven't I tried? Heroin. That's pretty much it. I refuse, though, to officially swear off anything, for being as rebellious as I am the moment I tell myself not to do something my desire to do it will only intensify. Works fairly well - I haven't been drunk, or had a drink for that matter, in nearly four months, smoked in over a year, or done any sort of drug for.. well, too recently, but not TOO terribly recently.

12. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

I've never touched alcohol, probably never will.

13. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Sorry it just irks me when I hear/read this (not necessarily singling you out Jaffa Cake)... alcohol is a drug. So is caffeine. So is advil and tylenol... most of us have used drugs.

14. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Well, the meaning behind the original post was for illegal drugs/controlled substances, but you're absolutely right, devilot. Actually, a quick tot up of my personal tally for the day (caffeine, prescribed medication and the bottle of beer I had with my tea) reveals I've consumed a drug of some description on fifteen separate occasions, if that helps to de-irk you any. ;)

And I've still got an hour and a half to go until midnight...

15. bartelby macrumors Core

Sober?
    Hell no!!

EDIT: Now I've read the thread: Each to their own I guess

16. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Hee. :eek: Thanks. It's just... after taking 3 different courses on drugs and substance abuse (2 w/ psych emphasis, one w/ molecular bio emphasis), it really is annoying to hear/ know that many people still don't consider alcohol/tobacco a drug when in fact, it is and can be as lethal as other bad rep drugs.

17. Sirus The Virus macrumors 6502a

Sirus The Virus

Same here. I have never done any drugs or been drunk.

18. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

I'm 32 and probably drink and party more now than I ever have. A lot of people kind of get it out of their system when they're younger (high school and college), but I was (and am) a big geek, so I didn't get out much during those years.

I think alcohol is great. True you can have tons of fun without it, but then again being intoxicated is inherently pleasurable. I see no good reason to deny myself pleasure. I just don't see drugs (or sex) as a moral issue at all - only a health issue. As long as I don't endanger my health it's all good.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

i used to have wine with my Sunday dinner. but i had a bottle of Vodka once and nah. I just dont want anything like that... i like everything sober with a straight mind so why mess around with it?

my girlfriend doesn't drink either. infact none of my closest mates drink. we save our money for dinghies or paintball guns or night vision goggles :D

I've never had drugs. I dont have caffeine either. i have a paracetamol whenever a migraine pays me a visit though! and damn i get some bad migraines.

body=temple. and i just don't see the point.

ps. whats interesting though is an old friend had NEVER touched alcohol in his life. his brother was hit by a car whilst drunk which really shocked him to keeping a straight mind, yet he's the biggest drinker i know now.

20. DaveP macrumors 6502

DaveP

I'm 22. Never drank, never done illegal drugs. Not only I am against them for moral and social region, but for economics as well. Drugs and alchohol are not cheap.

21. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Same here, except I'm 23.

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

thats my thinking too. sure they wont say it, but there must be something there, deep down thats telling people to forget everything and not worry.
    like i said. me and my mates dont drink and we love life. we do loads of crazy adventures and daft things which i think makes you happier inside. maybe if i didn't have those mates, but mates who wanted to go to the pub all day i'd be different. and because of the lack of exercise and fun i'd be just like everyone else at my uni?

the heaviest drinkers i know are the unhappiest inside. but maybe its just the people i know. i know that tragedy and other crappy things can turn people to drink.

23. darkwing thread starter macrumors 65816

That's good for my waistline. :)

Someone had a birthday cake last year and it had some kind of rum in it. ICK. I not only spit it out and made quite a scene, I had to wash my mouth out for a long time. No thanks. :)

24. darkwing thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, there's still a chance you might crack first! Good for you. :)

25. darkwing thread starter macrumors 65816

That's me and credit card debt at age 19. :)