Anyone sold their house FSBO?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by aristobrat, Oct 9, 2006.

1. aristobrat macrumors G4

I'm considering selling my townhouse as "For Sale By Owner" and was wondering if anyone else has gone down that route and what their thoughts were.

I'm thinking FSBO over using a realtor as the price I can sell my townhouse without the realtors 6% commission added in puts it $10,000-$15,000 lower than other similiar townhouses nearby that are for sale.

I'm hoping the pricing difference will attract more interested folks. Even if I get someone who wants to buy it who's working with an agent, adding their agent's 3% to the price still makes it less expensive than other townhouses.

Thanks! :)

2. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Most realtors hate FSBO and will steer their clients clear of those properties. The reasons why are usually attributed to the seller not knowing much about how to sell real estate or the market. I suppose if you did your homework you could break through the stigma but honestly i would pay the commission and let a professional do it for you.

Ed

3. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I've sold three houses on my own. There's a simple property sale form you can find online that will suffice as the contract. Once you make the sale it's up to the buyer to set up closing, etc. Your work is done.

If you want a copy of my form I'd be happy to email it to you. Just send me a PM.

4. iShane macrumors 6502a

My dad is selling our house For Sale by Owner right now. Some people have come in to look at it and have asked questions about it but no bites yet. Its only been like a month though so we'll see what happens.

5. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

My folks have sold three houses FSBO. No issues, and like you said- they make more money in the end because of less overhead.

Realtors are a waste IMO, you can do all your searching via internet, etc.

6. aristobrat thread starter macrumors G4

I'm going to try FSBO for a month and then consider a realtor if I don't get results.

I'm not trying to avoid a realtor because I want to make more money on the deal, it's just that I can list my townhouse for at lot less than I could list it with a realtor. It's hard to find a townhouse in this area for under $200K, and I can price mine at $195K without the realtor. With a realtor, the minimum I could price it at would be $206K.

I'm gambling that the lower pricer (and being under the $200K mark) will attract a buyer quicker than the higher price associated w/ a realtor, even though the realtor realistically will generate more "views" of the townhouse. I also have to factor in that townhomes in this area are generally purchased by first-time home owners, and I'm not sure how comfortable they are with the idea of doing a FSBO. Thus my :eek: :rolleyes: over this decision.