Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2011
Men's still in plastic .. It cost me £400 I'm not ashamed to take care of it!

My switcheasy will be here tomorrow so I'll remove it from the case then!

capriseyhaze

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
florida
im just letting mine get filthy lol fingerprints everywhere. just waiting to get my bodyguardz in the mail then i will take care of it. clean it up and keep it finger print free

Adam-Jobs

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2011
Yep im with OP. still got plastic on mine till protector comes. I don't make much money so I'd rather go the extra mile to keep my devices pristine!

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
The iPad screen is really hard to scratch. Had 4 total and never used anything on them. My Galaxy Nexus on the other hand got a small scratch on the second day just from being in my pocket. Whatever Apple is doing, they're doing it right.

zigzagg321

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
the wire
I immersed mine in hot candle wax and now that the wax has hardened, my new iPad will never get a scratch on it.

I made sure to use 100% beeswax candles because bees make honey and honey is sweet, so surely the wax from creatures who produce sweet byproducts wouldn't dare hurt my brand new iPad.

Adam-Jobs

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2011
Yep im with OP. still got plastic on mine till protector comes. I don't make much money so I'd rather go the extra mile to keep my devices pristine!

Saying this, reading all the people's experiences here with screen protectors has made me rethink whether I should have one. I've already purchased an SGP now though, it be such a hassle returning it to the amazon store.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
This isn't irrational paranoia. It's me not wanting to scratch a screen I'll be looking at for the next year. I can still use the device. It's just a thin membrane of plastic.

Plastic on =/= useless.

I bet your furniture in your living room still has the factory plastic on it, too! :D

Just some useful info--this is my 3rd iPad (A Gen1, a Gen2 and now Gen3) and I keep it in a simple neoprene sleeve when I'm not using it, and you cannot tell any of them from new. Glass is not easily scratched (unless a diamond ring gets dragged across it). Even my iPhone 4, after almost 2 years with no screen protection, still has perfect glass.

I, personally, like the oleophobic coating and the ease of cleaning, so any protector would negate that feature for me.

EIGHTYTHREE

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2012
The display units in the stores don't even have scratches on them and they're handled daily by all kinds of careless hands. That there ought a let you know the screens are tough. I don't understand what one would do to get a scratch anyway...if you gonna ruin the clarity of the screen with a screen protector than what's the point of getting the retina display. Should just kept or bought the iPad 2

That's also like when people complain about it not being as thin as the other one, yet they still put it in a big ass case...defeats the purpose..

Take the plastic off and enjoy the iPad! Most Ferraris cost over 100K and I wouldn't even put plastic over it.

Last edited:

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005

So, does this REPLACE the existing glass, or do you stick the GLAS.t on top of the iPad glass? If the latter, I can already imagine dust and misalignment being major problems!

----------

Gorilla glass folks...Gorilla glass! This stuff is tough and designed to be used! It doesn't scratch easy!

I hadn't read that the new iPad was using Gorilla Glass. Is that what you were implying?

heyyitzmelissa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2012
While it's mostly the case that regular use will not produce scratches, but the discovery of nearly all scratches come as a surprise. We don't know when it happened, and we never did it on purpose. For that reason, the plastic stays on.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
The number of times that I have seen someone keep the plastic on their device and dirt and dust get trapped between the device and the plastic producing a sandpaper like effect is ridiculously high. To each their own.

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
GLAS t goes over existing glass, has an adhesive layer... And yes I bet dust will be harder to contend with on initial stick, so I would use the clean room at work to put it on.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Never had a screen protector on any of my iPads and never will.

I think some of you would do well to move out of moms basement.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
From what the majority says it is.

Yeah, well I've never been one to care what the 'majority' says. I use a Power Support anti-glare. I dislike twisting and turning etc. to avoid the glare. Plus I like the anti- fingerprint properties. It does me no good if the display is 'awesome, if i can't use my device comfrortably.

Everyone has their own preferences in electronics. I find it rather pretentious for others to tell someone that those preferences are wrong.

fifi77

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
London
I've always used an anti-glare screen protector. I'm not so worried about scratches, but the glare is a massive issue for me. I'm not really keen on seeing my face staring back at me when I'm trying to read or watch a film.

Because of the retina display, I thought I'd try not putting the PS anti-glare on at first. Half an hour in my office this morning and the overhead lights were driving me batsh*t crazy, so the PS anti-glare has gone on and now I can actually use the iPad.

If I didn't work in an office that has overhead lights then maybe I wouldn't be so bothered, but your environment can dictate what's best for it.

gamecube117

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
I used to put screen protectors on and obsess about it. I understand where you two are coming from, but it feels much better without one on, and you don't put it in your pocket like your phone so its MUCH less likely to get scratched. My iPad two (which is now my wifes) still looks brand new and had nothing but a smart cover.

Yeah this is the same with my friend. She bought a Smart Cover for her iPad 2 and I asked her why did she not buy a screen protector for it. She asked me why, she has the smart cover. She had it for about a year and I use hers all the time at school (I sit beside her). I can say there's no scratches, just major finger prints.

Steelers7510

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2010
Lake Tahoe
Honestly, I'm more worried about the aluminum on the back getting dented/scratched from not using a case than I am scratching the screen. I immediately put this case on my iPad as soon as I took it out of the box. I'm yet to find a better portfolio style case than this one.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Yes, on both front and back. Waiting for case delivery.

----------

Actually, I'm worried about how I'll like cases and covers.

This video, in particular, has got me second guessing cases/covers. http://youtu.be/5X37RgKuN_U

It makes me consider keeping the iPad naked...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.