Anyone Still Playing & loving their GBA?

Discussion in 'Games' started by 2nyRiggz, Dec 27, 2005.

1. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

im trying to get back into it, i just brought super mario advance 4: super mario bros. 3....with all the talks of the DS, is anybody still jamming on the GBA?

1. Are u playing on: micro, sp or the orignal GBA?
    2. What are you playing?
    3. Anyone got super mario world for the 1st gameboy?...sell it to me i cant find it

Bless

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Firstly I gotta say the GBA has been the best gaming machine I've ever played. as a gameplay whore I can easily say that.

1. well I took my Micro back today, just felt I needed that £70 elsewhere (EyeTV ;) ) and I would much rather get an american import with faceplates. Currently playing them on my DS. the old SP screen seems, whilst bigger, a little faded.
    2. Currently playing Pokemon Emerald, Sonic Advance 1 and Golden Sun
    3. I have all the old Mario games and I wont sell any ;) sorry

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, I play mine too. It's the atomic plastic original GBA.

I played Minish Cap in the summer, I think? And maybe last winter or something, I played Mario vs. Donkey Kong. And I got Yu-Gi-Oh! in the fall, because kids at camp play with the cards and I wanted to understand the rules. :)

Actually, I never completely finished the bonus worlds in Mario vs. DK. That game was mad tough. I should go back and play it some more.

Can anyone recommend a good side-scrolling platform game, along the lines of Mario World, that is *NOT* a port of an SNES game? The sad thing is that I've played most of them on SNES. I would so love for a game with the depth of SMW for the GBA that I have never played before. :(

4. Seasought macrumors 65816

Seasought

I was playing on the SP. The only game I played was River City Ransom as I was obsessed with the one for the original Nintendo back in the day. Sorry, I don't have Super Mario World for the 1st gameboy.

I sold my GBASP and RCR about a couple of months ago. I still play the original RCR on emulator though...and General Chaos (gotta find a way for General Chaos to work multiplayer). Both awesome games.
    :D

5. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I would have been if it wasn't stolen out of my brother's hotel room along with all of our GBA games:mad: !! The hotel wouldn't give any compensaation even though it was thievery comitted by their own employees!! It was an SP, sigh. I'm back on my gameboy color now, with Tetris DX, the only real game that my bro didn't take :(

6. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

1. I'm playing GBA games on my DS, however I sometimes play on the SP.

2. Super Mario Bros. 3, which you got, is a GREAT game. Its pretty much all I play on the GBA, and it was all I played on my NES.

7. 2nyRiggz thread starter macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

super mario is great...the levels are more detailed but i must admit those voices they added get really annoying. i'm going to get yoshi's island tomorrow.....anyone played it?

Bless

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I played the first Yoshi's Island (SMW2) on the SNES. It was different, but I thought it was really fun. I wanna say that the feel was a little more technical and a little slower paced (like more complicated jumps and tricks) than in SMW. But I really liked it. And the bonus / complete finish with all of the Yoshi coins is very, very tough.

9. 2nyRiggz thread starter macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

so its just like mario bros. or is it a complete different platformer? i think gamespot review said it had different elements im not sure.

Bless

10. Otto Rehhagel macrumors regular

Otto Rehhagel

I still play Tetris on my 1989 Gameboy. It has a different feeling and a better grip than any sp, ds, or micro. I am contemplating a 20th anniversary micro, but I wish one came out looking like the NES for north america.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yoshis Island was one of the most fun platformers I ever played. it just felt so warm and good, very inviting but very challenging later on.

It's not the same no, but IMO, its better than Mario World. on par with Mario Bros 3 but thats because SMB3 was the definitive game of my childhood.

The music in Yoshi is beautiful too. best soundtrack next to Turrican for me.

12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Agreed, I think Yoshi's Island is my favorite SNES game of all time.

13. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

I enjoy alot of mario games on my GBA SP, I also enjoy a LOTR game on it from time to time as well. Two Towers and Return of the King were under rated RPGs on the GBA IMO. :)

14. cubist macrumors 68020

I just got an F-Zero racing game for GBA yesterday, it looks pretty good. Racing-wise I am very fond of Need for Speed Porsche Unleashed. And don't forget Advance Wars 2.

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, true that. That and Zelda for me. :)

But YI is great. It *is* a platformer. It's not as fast-paced as SMW or SMB3, but it is a platformer in the grand Nintendo tradition. Basically gameplay is a lot like when you're riding Yoshi in SMW, with a few extras. And the death/damage system is perhaps a little bit more like Sonic than Mario, although I think Super Mario Sunshine uses a similar system (never played it)? You have one fo the baby Marios on your back, and if you get hit, he goes floating away, and you have some limited time to catch him. Sort of loosely like the rings in Sonic.

16. 2nyRiggz thread starter macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

zelda, mario and metriod was some of the best part for me. i got the yoshi game today but havent played it cuz im still enjoying mario bros. 3. GBA is still so cool.

Bless

17. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

I still rock mine. It's great for work breaks at the office and pheonominal for train commutes or movie lines (if you want to ignore your friends that is :rolleyes: )

I just picked up a Micro Bundle for $49.97 @ costco after having lost my SP a week earlier. I promptly found mine the next week, but am keeping both :) great systems, both of em.

18. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

gave mine to my 3 year old. Hes not good at anything that requires more than one button yet. He likes to load the cartriges and turn it on and off. I'm sure he will be a gaming pro in no time....

JDOG- im going to assume the chick in your avitar would be in the "shaves" category.....NICE!

19. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Still keep my GBA SP in my coat pocket at all times, pretty much only for Advance Wars 2 when I have a few minutes to kill. The GBA is a great system and AW2 is such a great game. As interesting as the DS is, I just can't get into it. It's bulky and ugly and the two-screen + stylus thing just doesn't work for me (especially since they put such a large gap between the two screens: why, Nintendo, WHY?). Oh well, the GBA SP was a massive improvement over the original GBA, I'll wait to see what they do with the inevitable DS redesign.

To bad they couldn't have just built a more traditional successor to the GBA:

-- perhaps a 50% bigger screen (which is pretty modest) than the GBA SP, in the 320x240 range, only with more neutral colors than the SP (they tend to be blue-tinted from the backlight).
    -- still a clamshell design, only the screen would go right up to the (thin) bezel to minimize the size, hopefully making it thinner than the current SP and not much wider or longer if possible.
    -- the basic guts of the DS such as 3D capabilities, sound capabilities, and memory.
    -- a modest about of onboard flash memory to be used for whatever.
    -- analog nub.
    -- wireless capability if it wouldn't increase size too much.
    -- some kind of serious, non-proprietary expansion port, such as mini-USB. But whatever, it should allow for decent data transmission and external devices.

This design is not as radical as the DS, but IMO it would be a killer game system while still being able to be built affordably, unlike the Sony PSP. And it would be more practical than the DS. I love that Nintendo is being innovative and took a chance with the DS. It's not a bad system, I just don't think it's the best general gaming system they could have made.

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm seriously considering asking one of my american mates to ship me over a Costco micro! $49 AND you guys get faceplates! if they don't drop in price the next time I want a micro I'm going to america :cool:
    over here they're £69 with a free game. not good.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

not again... the DS is not the successor to the GB. the Gameboy and DS are completely separate entities! neither is treading on each others toes.
    There is a new GB coming out. but we know more about the Rev than we do the GB2.
    Personally I think that anything with a larger screen size than the SP is asking for trouble. you lose so much portability. any size increase is going to reduce portability.
    Analogue nub? no way, I found that so uncomfortable to use. the way forward isn't analogue or a D-Pad. at least thats my guess. Then again if Nintendo keep the GB a more traditional machine they would probably keep it D-Pad only. which is absolutely perfect for a portable machine. less precision hardware too- cheaper and more durable.

22. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Ah! See, I didn't know that! That is interesting, do you have any additional info on it (or links)? That would be great, the DS looks great if it's an alternative but not the only system, I think. However, I would argue that they are treading on each others' toes, or more accurately the DS is trampling all over the GBA. It takes away developer resources. Most of the new games are DS-only, unfortunately, with no GBA versions. There is no, and probably will never be, a GBA Advance Wars 3, for example.
    Well looking at the current GBA SP, there is a lot of room that could be used for the screen that is not. This would require more rigid materials to be used to maintain ruggedness, but I'm sure this could be managed. So right there you could fit a lot more pixels in, then if you want to make it very slightly wider and longer to accomodate a few more pixels, I'm ok with that as long as it gets a little thinner. For me the GBA SP's thickness is the dimension that makes it a little too bulky.
    I could live with a d-pad, but I've used the PSP's nub and it works ok...some things just suck with a d-pad that work a lot better with an analog stick.

23. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

24. Lopez.T.H. macrumors regular

1. Orignal GBA
    2. Metroid Fusion, Zelda Link to the Past, Metroid Zero Mission, TETRIS! The orignal one that came out with the first gameboy.

25. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Nintendo's always referred to the Nintendo DS as their "third pillar" (the three pillars being the GameCube, the GameBoy Advance, and the Nintendo DS) and specificly said it was a seperate console- they put the GBA slot in there so that the DS wouldn't replace the GBA and developers would still make GBA games. Since the GBA has the greatest installed base and market share, it makes sense to make GBA games.
    http://ds.ign.com/articles/541/541876p1.html