Anyone successful with the above PC, Mac networking?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by PG(Austin), Sep 27, 2004.

1. PG(Austin) macrumors newbie

I'm within one step of getting it to work. At the point where my Mac asks for the PC PW and UN to log in, I type in the info (same as logging into the PC) and it won't connect. Anyone have any ideas where I'm going wrong?

Thanks

P

2. HarbV7.0 macrumors newbie

It wont allow you to login unless you have sharing enabled on the Windows box and an active share under the user name you ary trying to login on. Right click on a folder go to properties/sharing and choose share this folder on the network. If you hadn't enabled it you may need to. It'll be in the same area, I think it's file and printer sharing or something. Don't use the wizard if it promps, select just enable file and printer sharing. As long as your user name/ passwords are secure enough you should be good to go. Yo connect it's just smb://yourpcname. I hope that helps, off the top of my head it's all I can think of.

ps- I'm assuming your trying to connect to XP.

3. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-PG(Austin)

It's a Windows thing - seriously. Your Mac needs EXACTLY the same credentials if you wish to log on to the PC. Create a separate User account that has the same credentials as what the PC is looking for, and open up the permissions of it's Home so you can swap files from your main account.

Windows is secured in the most inconvenient places.

4. HarbV7.0 macrumors newbie

Sorry, Patrick, but that's not the case. Yes, Windows needs the same user name/pass but you DON'T NEED a seperate acct. I have no trouble connecting to the Windows Servers at work, nor my PC at home from my PB. My Macs are not setup with a seperate acct whatsoever nor are any of my clients (I work in IT in a mostly Mac environment, but we still have some Windows Servers and a couple of Windows clients).

5. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

6. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-HarbV7.0

Really! Well, I suppose there have been some improvements lately...

7. PG(Austin) thread starter macrumors newbie

yup...tried that

Sharing is enabled, tried just logging into smb://pcname and yes it is XP....still no go....it's got to be something stupid and small... :mad:

8. PG(Austin) thread starter macrumors newbie

I need some help here....

I really am about to go nuts here...I can't figure out what is wrong. :confused:

9. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Now you followed that guide step for step? Has worked every time for me.

10. PG(Austin) thread starter macrumors newbie

yup...I get to the point where the Mac asks for my PW, UN to get to the Win system and then tells me one of them is wrong after I enter the same thing I would enter to get into windows on the PC....

I may start over from step one unless you have any ideas...

Thanks
    P

11. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Just quadruple check
    *both machines are in same workgroup.
    *PC user account has a password, I had trouble with blank password.
    *PC is setup with some share.
    *you are accessing the PC by IP (smb://123.45.67.89/sharename) from your mac

Also, have you tried the other direction? Accessing a share on your mac FROM your PC?

You might be better off starting over, you could have missed something or mistyped something, but I can say that method works to a T

12. PG(Austin) thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks..

Yeah, I can go from PC to Mac no problem....I'll try again from the start...

Thanks