Anyone swim? I need goggle advice.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mashinhead, Feb 28, 2007.

1. mashinhead macrumors 68020

I swim sometimes for excercise. But lately I've been getting 'swimmer's headache.' It is the worst feeling. It is caused by goggles being too tight. It is when you get out of the pool and you feel like you took a vicodin, have a migraine, and someone is cutting off oxygen to your head while squeezing it, all at the same time. And you usually feel this after you get out, and take off your goggles, not while swimming. It makes it hard to drive home.

Anyway i recently got a pair of TYR performance goggles and loosened them all the way and they're too tight. And it's not like have an abnormally large head or anything. I'm of average height. I was wondering if anyone could suggest some comfortable goggles that i could try. Or that do not make you want to kill yourself when you're done usin them.:)

PS: on a mac related swimming note check these out.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

3. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

Si i googled goggles (say that 5 times fast) but i'm not really having luck. I did find a pic of one that looke like it had a different back, but have no idea what brand it is or where to get it.

4. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Damn....:p

I acrually find the cheap ones to be the most comfortable...

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I have been swimming competitively for the past ~14 years and have used many, many different types of goggles. One of, if not my, favorite pair of goggles have been from TYR. Can't think of the exact name, but they look like follows (sorry I could not find my new pair, but they look the same). :)

Attached Files:

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

They look the same as every pair of goggles I have ever seen. :p

7. BarryW macrumors member

I've got the speedo mariner, they are comfortable and don't have to be head crunchingly tight to make a good seal around your eyes.

8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

haha. some of my campers complained of this problem with theirs... make it looser :rolleyes:

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

In theory, you should be able to stick goggles to your face just by suction without the use of the strap. That's how you know you have a pair that fits your face and that you don't have to make the strap too tight. I've used Swedish goggles (the ones without any sort of pads around the rim of the goggles) for as long as I can remember, and have never had a problem.

10. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

I use the Arena brand goggles http://www.teamarena.com/Technology.cfm?id=168 , they have soft foam eyecups not the suction stuff and a very adjustable double band,
    I have three pairs: UV tinted for outdoor swimming, blue tint for pool and clear for all other water sports

11. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I have been using 12 dollar speedos from Dicks. They sucked.

They always fogged up, and the strap wasn't strong enough to not slip from my preferred tightness -- so i could rarely swim over 150 meters before it loosened too much and broke the seal the goggle had with my face.

Then i found some bad ass goggles. They are Leader Momentum's. I have ONLY found these goggles in Walmart -- they aren't even on the zleader.com site for some reason. But they are great.

Anti-fog, VERY strong strap, tinted, and great suction. I was able to swim 300 meters for the first time the other day!

12. mollyswim macrumors newbie

this is a bit outdated, but in case anyone happens upon this the way i did, i thought i'd leave a post. the headache may be completely unrelated to cap or strap tightness; breathing; head position; etc... it may simply be an exertional headache. it's awful, but it's benign. i've been getting them for years in connection with other activities. i'm currently training for a triathlon for charity and had no idea that swimming would cause this because i'm not really a swimmer. as a temporary solution to get through training, i'll take an anti-inflammatory called indomethacin prior to swimming. i probably will only swim in 15 minute spurts after the race. :)

13. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

Thanks for the update. Now that we know it's not the goggles, I'd highly recommend Swedes. They don't have rubber around the eye ring, it is just hard plastic. Sounds terrible and uncomfortable, and it is the first couple times. But once you get used to them, there's nothing better.