anyone think that the new finder sucks?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by andyjamesnelson, Oct 25, 2003.

1. macrumors 6502

sorry is it me or does the new finder window suck? the way it looks is stupid and over sized.. and wtf.. why cannot you scroll through all the sections with the cursor keys? i mean you cannot scroll to another disk partion.. really annoying, bassically i fail to see why this is a better design interface for the finder window.. what do you think?

2. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I love it, I just wish that it'd remember the window size after I close it and reopen a new Finder window.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

just what is there to love? its over sized wtf are those stupid big borders about? and it has lost some functionality in that you cannot use keys to access all its part.. i dont see why the finder window is any better.

4. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I can use my cursor keys in it just fine, but what do you mean about it being too oversized or the borders?

5. macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

I like the new Finder. It's far more logical and efficient to have the home folder, applications, and such at the left side, especially from a column view point of view. The integrated eject buttons are only icing on the cake. It's different, sure. But just like we all had to adapt to Mac OS X, Panther is something else that, once we adapt to, we will learn to love.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

you cannot you the cursor keys to move from through partions or onto the network section, i like to use a mouse as little as possible and this needing to click between drives and then using curser keys sucks..

and i mean that the bigg grey borders around the finder window make it look over sized.. there is a very unessecary 1cm grey border at the bottom of the window, look stupid.

7. macrumors 68020

Anybody notice that folder labels works again? Great!

I think the new Finder's pretty good. I like being able to click "Applications" on the left side.

8. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I agree, it is so much more logical and easier to navigate now. It was confusing for me at first to have the Computer section, Favorites section, Home section, etc and figuring out what led to where when I had Jaguar. As far as the eject buttons, I love that feature.

9. thread starter macrumors 6502

the eject function is cool.. but i just wish you could use the cursors to move around the whole thing

10. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I seem to be able to use my cursors on the Finder window...also, have you tried clicking the button on the top right to get rid of all that brushed metal and borders that you dislike so much? That slims the window down to its bare minimum.

11. macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

I love the new finder. It seems a lot more intuitive and efficient.

12. thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah if you click that button you end up with nearly the jaguar style window..

as for cursors.. i can use them to move through the folder etc, but i cannot use them to move to another drive partion or over to application etc on the left hand side.. can you?

13. macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

I love the new finder. It is alot better than jags. I have been using panther through all the buils since WWDC, and have grown to love the new finder. i love the side bar, as much as it might be a M$ "copy". I think that is it great.

14. macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

I think it copies iTunes more than Microsoft.

15. macrumors newbie

1. Go to the finder
    2. Go to preferences
    3. Select Sidebar
    4. Uncheck Hard Disks, iDisk, Network, Connected Servers, and Removable Media.
    5. Make sure Computer has a check next to it.

Or

1. Go to the finder
    2. Go to preferences
    3. Select General
    4. Click "New finder windows open in:" and select Computer.

Whichever way you like to do it but they should both work. Now you can use the arrow keys to navigate partitions, media, networks, etc. Have fun!

16. macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

The new Finder is more functional, but I especially love the new finder for the following reason: No more pinstipes, so aqua can look how it was meant to be.

17. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

18. macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

/agree. That is why I put "copy" in qoutes. I don't think that it is a copy at all, considering M$ so blatantly copied the mac gui when it made windows.

19. macrumors 68030

Flowbee

I think the new finder is great. Huge improvement over Jag-wire.

20. macrumors newbie

It's mostly a cosmetic change from Jaguar plus some new features. How can that "suck"? It basically moved icons that were at the top of the window to the side.

21. macrumors 6502a

i actually liked those pinstripes :confused:

i'm not really into the metal..especially when I don't have a G5 to match to it :D

22. macrumors member

I really like the new finder. Much more useful to me. On my computer after a clean install it runs faster than before. In the past I would get hung up on some drives or folders but haven't noticed that at all since I've installed Panther. This cat is purring nicely.

23. macrumors 6502

Phil, What or where are the integrated eject buttons?

Thanks

24. macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

It's circled in this pic: if I clicked on it, I would eject my iPod.

Attached Files:

25. macrumors 65816

snickelfritz