Anyone think they're not releasing Tiger today because of the Pope/Schiavo mess?

Discussion in 'Community' started by trojan18, Apr 1, 2005.

1. trojan18 macrumors member

Mar 4, 2005
    The media has been absolutely saturated with Terri Schiavo coverage the past couple of days and now with the Pope looking like he could die any minute, they're probably going to start giving that 24/7 coverage.

It's been very hard for pretty much any other story to break through....We haven't even heard much about the Jackson trial, and Cable News (in the U.S) usually falls all over themselves to cover a story like that.

So do you think Jobs is holding off the announcement for a while so that they can actually get some decent news coverage on the upcoming launch?

Just a (slightly crazy) theory.
  2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    You said it.
  3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Perhaps not in this circumstance (Tiger), however the dark arts of news manipulation and political spin have few rules.

Releasing unfavorable news when a much larger story has everyone's attention is standard practice these days...
  4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

Nov 14, 2003
    Washington, DC
    I don't think that Pope/Shiavo type news would really limit the coverage of tech type news. I mean, there would have to be some kind of month-long absence of news for the release of Tiger to qualify as the top headline anyhwhere other than a tech news source.
  5. Pismo macrumors 6502

Apr 30, 2002
    No. What does Tiger have to do with Schiavo or the Pope? Nothing. This will be in the media for months/years to come and I don't think Apple will wait until things settle down.
  6. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    The theory would be slightly less crazy if we see it come out Monday or Tuesday. Even then, a better theory would be that Apple prefers to release products early in the week to catch better press.

Another theory is that the leaks to TS, etc. were plants, and the April fool's day date was a cruel SJ joke.
  7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    Nope, more likely that Jobs just wants to rain on TS's parade
  8. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2004
    New Haven, CT
  9. mac-er macrumors 65816

Apr 9, 2003
    First, no one ever thought Tiger was going to be released today. The only speculation was that it was going to be announced when it would be released.

Second, I don't think that the Schiavo case would have anything to do with it. Apple is an international company, and the Schiavo case is an American situation.

Third, it could be very possible that Apple decided to not make an announcement due to the Pope's situation; they found it inappropriate to make a trivial announcement about computers when most of the world is following the Pope's health. Apple tends to be a very socially-conscious company (i.e. tsunami reaction).

I find it very strange that there seems to be no announcement of anything today, on Apple's birthday.
  10. Bern macrumors 68000

Nov 10, 2004
    Who the hell is Shaivo???

The Pope cashing in his chips would hardly be a reason for any corporation not to reveal something that is going to bring them a lot of money. After all isn't money the "new god" of western civilisation?
  11. liketom macrumors 601

Apr 8, 2004
    i think who ever said "steve want's to rain on TS's parade " has nailed it on the head ! the longer i wait today the more it appears to just be a mole hunt at apple and TS -

i'm betting tiger anouncement withing 72 hours HAS TO BE
  12. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

finally someone who hasn't been corrupted by US news, i applaud you
  13. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

Sep 13, 2003
    Its not so much where you are as when you are.

Announcements on Friday are bad. Noone cares.
    Announcements on April 1 are bad. Noone believes.

if the Pope were to die right now, noone would notice until the body goes into the ground, possibly even the election of the replacement.
  14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Maybe, but he'd start to smell awful bad. You'd want at least one of his little men to pick up on it... ;)
  15. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    The election of the new Pope could take weeks. No one remembers the black smoke, white smoke thing?
  16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Nope! Black smoke, white smoke?
  17. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I also don't think that the Pope for Schiavo has anything to do with the announcement either. It has more to do with the personality of Steve though. Imagine that he is still smarting from the prior information about the Mac mini.

The black smoke is released to indicate that no choice on a Pope has been made yet. After a vote is taken the ballots are burned, they add a dye to make the smoke black. When the new Pope has been elected they release the white smoke from the Sistine Chapel.
  18. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

Feb 24, 2004
    So. Cal
    And when my electrical appliances get wet they release grey smoke to symbolize they won't work anymore.
  19. clayj macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    Actually, under the new election system designed by the current Pope, electing his successor should take no more than two votes... on the first vote, a Pope can be elected with a 2/3rd majority. After that, a simple 50%+ majority is required. His goal, apparently, was to make sure that the Catholic Church was missing a Pope for no more than one month.
  20. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Jul 4, 2004
    No, it probably has something to do with it being April 1st.

What kind of weird irony would it be if the pope were to die on april fools day.
  21. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Mine make zappy noises and kinda go "patttteeooooooo" in a odd fashion.
  22. Sol macrumors 68000

Jan 14, 2003
    How did you know?

Yes, Tiger was not released because the computer press is dedicating all its reporting to press releases from the Vatican and Republican sound bytes about "right to life."