Anyone tried Macbook 1.83 next to 2.0 ghz?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by imMAColata, Sep 26, 2006.

1. imMAColata macrumors member

I have seen the thread about 1.83 ghz vs 2.0 ghz. I am inclined to buy the small version and add more ram to it.

But have anyone tried both next to each other for more than just tippy typing and browsing the web? There are obvious advantages to more megahurtz when you do heavy duty stuff like encoding, rendering and working with stuff like Photoshop. I am not doing a lot of that however.

I just wonder if there is a perceptible day to day difference in performance once a macbook has more than 512 MB?

2. Karpfish macrumors 6502a

Karpfish

i saw a pretty good difference between 1.83 and 2.0 both with 512mb

3. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

No dam way. Only reason to pay the $200 extra is the SuperDrive. Apple just put in 170 MHz extra to justify the higher price a bit more. I tried them both at a store, and they were both the excact same. Unless you need the SuperDrive, I'd go for a $1099 model and get 2 GB, instead of a $1299 model with 1 GB.

BTW Karpfish, what difference did you see? If for instance rendering a large image, you may get slightly better results, but that is mere seconds, and the 2 GB RAM will make it way faster. Go for the cheap one unless you need the SuperDrive!:D

4. imMAColata thread starter macrumors member

Karpfish, was that from a store demo you spent 10 minutes with?

Where did you notice it? Slower apps? Sluggish scrolling in Safari? Longer load times? Slower special MACOSX effects? I need the infos so I can make up my mind. I have been agonizing over this decision for far too long now >.<

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Like Josias said , the real issue is the SuperDrive. To me, that's worth the price difference.

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

You won't notice a damn thing. The difference is absolutely bugger all, the reason you pay more is not for the tiny difference (and I mean TINY) in processor speed but for the SuperDrive.

In all honesty, if you can live without DVD burning on the go and can pick up a fast, dual-layer, external DVD burner you're better off getting the cheaper one and spending the extra cash on RAM and the external drive.

I reckon you'd notice a bit of a difference between 1.83 and 2.16 or 2.00 and 2.33 (basically every second jump) but not between 1.83 and 2.0.