anyone tried out flash 2004 on a mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aje, Sep 17, 2003.

1. aje macrumors newbie

flash is almost unusable (for anything of a decent size) on a mac compared to pc's. has anyone tried the latest version on a mac? have macromedia at last got it right?

as a flash developer, its the thing holding me back from getting a mac (oh and $AU5000 of course)

2. AtariMan macrumors newbie

hi andy,

imagine meeting you on a mac rumor site. Im guessing by this posts existence you didnt get to use flash at work today? I tested 2004 out tonight on one of the the dual 867Mhz G4s at work.

I opened up a large site i'd been working on and did a few things. everything seemed pretty nice. There was no obvious slowdown using the interface, though it was a bit slower than the AthlonXP 2400 i'd been using all day. A lot of that can probably be put down to 10.2s slightly sluggish interface. I exported the movie and the compile time was good, about the speed of my Athlon 1.4 here at home. I'd guess that flash is not multi processor aware and so is only using one 867Mhz processor. (meaning a new 17" powerbook will hopefully be nearly twice as fast)

As the MX 2004 installer also installs Flash player 7, i checked out a few sites and was pretty amazed at how fast it was. Sites that are quite chunky on my 1.4 Athlon at home it played super smooth.

My testing wasnt that scientific, while i was doing the flash testing mail.app was pulling someones entire IMAP email account off the server, including attachments (probably 2 or 3 Gb) as we'd jsut installed OS X on that machine. Mail was chewing up a bit of processor power and quite a bit of hard disk time as well so i imagine falsh would become even faster if that wasnt happening in the background.

i guess what im saying is that flash 2004 is definatly usable on a mac now. After using flash on a pretty fast pc all day, it wasnt crap doing stuff on the mac (4 month old pc vs 16 month old mac) Once panther arrives and improves the UI performance and, by all accounts improves the speed of the all apps and OS it will be very nice. (not that it isnt now though)

check out the cover of the Melbourne Time this week for some funny free advertisign for Buttered Loaf.

3. aje thread starter macrumors newbie

no they have been too busy at work to test flash/mac out yet. but it sounds like its a good thing (at last!)

mind you, its a bit creepy replying to you on a macrumors forum :)

4. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness